Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac Sombrero hubcap. What do the wheels look like?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robyyo, Nov 16, 2012.

1. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Does anybody have a pic of the steel rim for the Cadillac Sombrero hubcap? How does the cap fit onto the wheel? Any pics of the wheel will be appreciated.

2. The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer

I´d like to see that,too !

3. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

I've never seen em, I see the caps all the time, and I know some people braze a trim ring to the caps, but I'd like to see the real rim.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can get a photo next Tuesday at lunch because a guy I know has a Cad hardtop sitting in front of his shop with stock wheels on it. Someone will most likely have a photo up before that though.

5. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Tuesday will work, it doesn't look like anyone else has one.

6. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Google knows all

Attached Files:

7. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

That's it? How does the hubcap attach?

8. john walker

john walker

here ya go.

Attached Files:

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

they just pop on to the center like a dog dish

10. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

gracias

11. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I don't know about the aftermarket ones. The original sombrero wheel covers have a separate but attached smaller baby moon-type cover mounted under the main wheel cover. The smaller/inner piece mounts to the wheel using clips/retainers attached to the wheel. I am not aware of any other car other than Cadillac that has sombrero compatible mounting clips. Various methods have been used to adapt sombreros to "regular' wheels.

12. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I'm not 'up' on Sombreros. but I bought caddy caps for my 40, not quit as exagerated as what I think of as Sombreros, but these had a sort of serated edge all the way around the rim of the cap, and they just push on. They were sold to me as 52 caddy caps.

Attached Files:

13. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I have seen ones that were modified to have that mounting method. They might also be aftermarket clones. Not sure what size wheels you have. Sombreros were made for both 15" and 16" wheels, so that can cause a diameter difference like yours have.

14. swe64

swe64

here is front and back of a sombrero hubcap this is cromed but soma are stainless

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      260.7 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      256.1 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      261.7 KB
      Views:
  15. wd98223

wd98223

what wheel fits a 41 merc and accepts this sombrero hubcap?bill 6127235059

16. russthetinman

russthetinman
    from KC MO

Does anyone know what years they were chrome and when they changed to stainless? I think commercial chassis had 16'' but a friend just showed me some from an ambulance that are ''dog dish'' size.What gives?

17. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

The 55 and up Cadillac wheels have the center welded in backwards compared to a normal wheel to clear the hubcaps.Those wheels and caps are pretty much a direct bolt on for anything with a 5x5 bolt pattern.

18. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Weren't sombreros gone by 1955?

19. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

True sombreros, far as I know, were sold from 1947-1952. After that, the factory moved on to other shapes. '53 was the one-year only shape, and then '54-'56 were sort of remotely similar to some Imperial caps--and clipped on, much the way modern wheelcovers do. No adaptation usually needed.

All were 15-inch caps except sombreros which, as has been said, came in 15- and 16-inch varieties.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

49 to 52 Pontiac sombrero style caps mount the same way with the inner cap catching the clips on the wheels.

21. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

See, I never knew if the caps mounted to clips or nubs, according to a picture above they mount to clips which makes sense considering the small diameter of the mounting base on the back of the cap. I've got 6 of the 15" caps, I've never seen the 16" but I believe they're out there, some of the ones I have are chrome some are stainless. I've experimented with some of the more beat up ones by drilling out the rivets that hold the mounting base to the cap and using a wire hubcap mounting base off mid 80's GM cars with a stud running through it, that stud then threads onto a hubcap bullet holding the cap onto the wheel. I would like to know the process of brazing a trim ring onto the cap, I believe that with the hubcap bullet retention would be far superior to just the bullet holding the cap onto the wheel.

22. yeah old thread but has anyone added factory style clips to modern wheels to retain them?

23. MARSHALL LABOW

MARSHALL LABOW

YES...i have a set with the standard beauty ring clamps modified to fit the caddy caps...I think mine are the commercial ones.send me a email address and i will send pics...they are for sale...i think I have 6 caps..text email 203 564 3998 (CT.)