Register now to get rid of these ads!

My first Fleetmaster Build!! I NEED HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by duren25, Nov 19, 2012.

1. duren25

duren25
    from Chipley,fl

I am new to this site, so here's a little info on what I know. I built my own circle track cars for 10 years, I then built a couple of drag cars. Last year I did my first Street Rod. I took a 54 chevy 3100 and put it on an S-10 frame. I then transplanted a 350 tbi in it and let the fuel injection and all on it. It turned out great I thought, there was just not enough room for the wife and kids to ride. So the search began for a 46 to 48 2 door Fleetmaster Sedan. I bought one Saturday. Now I have read alot of the post on doing a subframe swap. I agree that the camaro is almost to wide, my question is why not a Metric front clip, or swaping out the entire frame for a elcamino or something. I know that the camino is too long of a wheelbase, and the monte carlo type is too short. Has any of ya'll ever heard of an enite frame swap? I have a freind that put a monte frame under his 53 and he claims it was easy. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

2. LaSalle Gearbox

LaSalle Gearbox
    from ohio

"Has any of ya'll ever heard of an enite frame swap?"

I'm going to go ahead and say no.

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"enite" fram swap? You mean entire frame swap?

Granted, a chassis swap can save money, time, and effort. And with the right donor car, provide the entire drivetrain too, plus a few other parts. But the new chassis is often not the right width, or the frame rails so different from the original that you'll spend as much of your resources making necessary mods as you would've if you had used the original chassis.

My answer would probably be the same as many here. The original frame fits best. Chevy had a decent IFS. With a rebuild, they work fine. Disc brake conversions are available. You're halfway home. Now do the engine/trans/axle transplant. Season to taste...garnish...cool and serve.

4. duren25

duren25
    from Chipley,fl

Yep, ENTIRE is what I was trying to say.

5. belair

belair

Listen to Rickybop. I have a 48 Fleetline, put FDBs on it, and looooove it. Why go looking for more work with little return on your investment of time and money?

6. duren25

duren25
    from Chipley,fl

I am wanting not only disc brakes but power steering and power brakes as well. Thanks for the info so far, I just want a car that I can get in and drive, look cool sitting on the ground, and be comfortable:D

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

all that can be added to the stock frame. There are places that sell kits. Do a research.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok then. Find a chassis that's got the correct track width. Then lengthen or shorten the chassis, shift the position of the engine/trans, have the driveshaft shortened or lengthened and balanced, modify the inner fenders, floorboards and trunk-pan to clear the frame rails and crossmembers, make new body mounts, fabbed radiator and front clip support, bumper brackets, find room for all the wires and electronics for the EFI or change to a carb, find a way to mount the donor car pedals to the firewall, find room under the hood for the pb booster, etc etc etc.

9. belair

belair

You can put power brakes on the car in the original MC position ( I think), and you don't need PS with that big steering wheel. But you seem to have a plan, so I wish you good luck.