Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally Got a Henry J

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Checked it out today, it'll look better once sanded but doesn't look to bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Phil. Looks great. I like it in the red oxide primer. The driver's side will be a "piece of cake" to finish after doing this side (No cutting or welding). Just bondo work and patience. May be worthwile to raise the drivers side on jack stands while working the lower 1/2 of the quarter to save your back. Keep up the good work.

3. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

swade do you have 56 chevy taillights on yours too?!?!?

4. Looks good Philip. Won't recognize the car next year.

5. Yeah, I put some filler in a few spots on that side lastnight and it's a little tight over there. Think I'm going to slide the ass end over towards the center of the garage to get a better view and lighting. That quarter sure is rough, finding a lot of hidden shoty body work to try and get around.

Yup 56 lights, it came with those and a set of mopar lights in the box of extra parts but no originals, which I do have now thanks to those quarters I bought. I'm going to keep the 56's on there though, they work well with the fins..lol

[​IMG]

6. That's the idea Art, it still looks similar to the as bought version even with the changes. With the new paint it will be more along the lines of what I have in my pee size brain as "my" idea of what it should be...lol

7. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

they work pisser thats what i have on mine... they flow better then the stock lights with the body. i really dig the mopar lights any idea what they are off of exactly?

8. Tony

Tony

Coming along nice Phil.
    REALLY looking forward to seeing the final paint scheme you do. It sounds like it's going to be killer!

Tony

9. I ask a while back and this was my answer

10. I just hope it turns out, I'm painting this thing with a roller and spray cans. ..lol The primer is rolled on and looks like it'll work the same as before, just like the t-bucket.

11. Couple updates on how the painting is going, 1st coat on the main body looks scary...lol

[​IMG]

Did a coat on each quarter as well and today applied the second coat to the main body, the color is starting to cover nicely. Tomorrow I hope to get the quarters in their second coat between driving the kids to work and dance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Swade... are the doors painted Red? Im not sure if you know... but you may have to put a primer coat on the doors.. otherwize theyll go pink under white..

Looks Good from here...

13. They are fiberglass and orange, most likely prime them the same red oxide color to keep it all even on the color. thanks for the input

14. Holy Crap, that came out shiney and smooth! Tits!!-MIKE:eek::D

15. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good Phil. Going to look like a totally different car. Just having smooth paint on it you'll probably pick up a couple tenths. :D

16. Ha ha, funny running joke in the pits is when I first got the car my pit spot was a little to close to the cookout grill. The hamburger grease covered the the whole front end and wouldn't wash off that old faded black paint. It took lacquer thinner to remove it and of course some of the paint..lol
    At least I won't have that problem anymore !

[​IMG]

17. Thanks Mike, still a bit more work to do on it for sure, more wet sanding and more layers of paint, then more sanding.......

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I love the budget paint job! Looking forward to seeing it when you're totally done!

19. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

You go to dance classes Phil? :D I thought you had a bad back.
    I can't wait to see the finished paint. Looks good so far.

20. ha ha, as close as I get to dance class is dropping her off at the door...lol
    Yeah this kind of painting sucks for my back, that's why I'm doing one piece at a time. The problem is you have to do each piece multiple times but hey we are getting it done.

21. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you finish the tilt nose, or put it on the back burner and do some painting instead while you think about it ?

22. One day while over at HomeDepot looking for two pieces of steel that would slip into each other, I came up empty handed. So that day I decided while I was there I might as well get this painting done before it gets into the single digits. So off I went to the paint department.
    The doors for sure and maybe the tilt nose will fit into the old apartment that's built into the back of my garage. That way I can paint that in a little better controlled heated area, so no problems on weather. Now of course I will need to get this hinge together, I'm going over to a race car fab shop (Vito Antecelli) and see what he's got as far as tubing.

23. One Finger John

One Finger John

Well now nothing amazes me about this build anymore! Would be interesting to know how much weight vs sprayed on paint, the rolled on paint would add. In the way back olden days, didn't they brush on paint then wet sand to perfection?

Also, how did the new motor weather its first season?

John

24. This paint goes on pretty darn thin, it's easy to cut through it when wet sanding. I have no idea on the weight of the two, I did spray can the area around the quarter windows so best of both ?..ha ha
    The engine held together so that's a plus, got it down from a 7.51 to a 7.17 with tuning. I need to pull the top half of the tunnel ram off and put some kind of sealer in there. It looks damp like it's loosing some fuel around the gaskets. I'm getting 1.53 60fts with air under the tires but seems lack luster crossing the line. I am going to have the convertor reworked for more stall and thinking of a gear change also.
    Right now with the 4.11's I'm shifting at 6 grand and hitting high gear before the finish line (1/8 mi.) I'm not into high very long so the engine is down low in the power band and not pulling. Thinking 4.30's or possible 4.56's, need to do that performance calculator thing to check the rpm's. Oil looks clean and all cylinders are burning so I guess the new motor is ok, just not fast enough yet !

25. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Phil,
    The gear change will certainly help. We had 411 gears in our Opel and we were running a 10.00 quarter mile. Went to the 456 gears with some tuning got us down to 9.60's. Also or 60' times went from 1.5's to 1.3's. We are also running a 29" tall rear tire. I hadn't looked at your build thead from the start in a long time. I had forgotten how far your Henry J has come. It really looks great. Can't wait to see it at Empire this coming year.

26. I was just going through this http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm and it looks like 4.56 would put me through the 1/4 mi traps at 6200. 1-1 trans gear with a 28 in tall tire if anyone else has a different calculator.

27. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Paint Looks Great Phil! Can't wait to see the Final Product!

28. 1arock

1arock

My dad worked at McDonald Douglas back in the late 50's. He said that a flat paint colored jet was 25 mph slower than a polished finish one. With that taken into account you might be down in the 6's. LOL
    Looks good Phil.
    Rocky

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  29. Philip that 's pretty close to what I'm doing at the traps with 30" tires and 4.56 gears.

30. Is the color Canvas white?