Register now to get rid of these ads!

OIN's 51 Chevy Coupe Resurrection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old Iron Nut, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Had a pretty busy weekend on my newest project so figured it would be a good time to get my first build thread on the HAMB started. :) I bought this car last summer after selling my OT car to pay some bills and get back to my roots. Car was supposedly stored in a barn for most of it's life having been rolled over what the PO though was some time in the 60s. Car has only 58K miles on it and it shows. There is nearly zero rust, and everything on it is still tight and not worn out. Was supposed to be a good runner that didn't need much to get back on the road. Here she is the day I brought her home:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In good company:
    [​IMG]

Spent the next few months working on the body and getting all the mechincals taken care of, being a roll over, the top and side needed a lot of work (and still do):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a lot hammering and work with the porta power, finally got the windshield in. Took care of some engine work and rebuilt the fuel system and brakes, then took it out for a spin.
    [​IMG]

2. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

After a couple of weekends of work though, decided the top was just going to take too much to fix (it was no longer square on the car, the windshield did not fit correctly). The car came with a spare top, so figured it was a good reason the chop it and make the car a mild custom. 3" F/R would do nicely (I'm a taller guy so didn't want to go too far). Never done a chop before, so figured what better way to learn than to just jump in (I read every thread I could find on chops before doing so though ;) ):
    Trim and glass pulled:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the top off, ready for the new one to be put on:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is where I left off tonight:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got a lot more work to do, but making good progress and I really like how it turning out (especiilay for my first try). Any tips or feedback on the chop would be appreaciated and stay tuned for more updates, just got a 261 and 5 speed so going to be busy over the winter.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

About 4 years ago, I bought a 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe, right here of the HAMB. I wound up giving the car to my nephew, and almost everything else, to do a V-8/auto/56 rear end swap. I have been "concerned" about the bodywork needed, not that there's really that much, mostly surface rust. Then along comes you, and when you first mentioned "rollover', I thought you were talking about the speedometer/odometer. WOW, what am I concerned for, compared to what you have going? So far, it's looking pretty good, keep up the good work. Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. BadLuck

BadLuck

Love the coupes! excellent work

5. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Thanks Butch! I'm no pro, but not afraid of diving in, figure I can learn along the way. Nice thing about steel is you can almost always fix a mistake (just might take more $$ and time).

6. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Thanks Badluck! Read your hardtop thread many times, beautiful car!

7. BadLuck

BadLuck

thanks buddy! I'll be watching this one for sure.. keep at it and keep posting updates :)

8. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Will do, should be a busy winter: :)

9. good job on the chop, looks great!!!

10. Are you going to keep the belt line trim.
    Looks great so far!

11. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Thanks guys! I'm going to do my best to keep the trim, catwalk will get a couple inches added to it and I'm going to make new sail panels that will help work it all together.

12. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

FINALLY!!!!!! have been looking forward to your thread :) looks nice so far Old iron nut, keep the pics coming so i know what to do when it`s mine turn to chop the top :)))

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  13. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Suscribed, looking forward to following your progress!

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i like the car , you are doing good work , have fun with it ,

15. cosmic12

cosmic12

Just finishing up the chop on my 52. I will be waiting to see how you do the back window, please keep the pics coming, looking good!

16. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Haha, it did take me a little while to get started. Thanks, hope to see yours getting the same treatment after the move. :)

Thanks! Hope to have more updates this weekend.

Thanks!

Thanks! Cool, how much did you chop it, have a build thread out there? Going to be starting on the rear this weekend, going with an extended catwalk to keep the profile a little more upright, hopefully it works out.

17. sololobo

sololobo

Goin for it dude! I love these little bubble top coupes, and your chop looks very hip to me. I don't see the need to fear a set of 22"'s and some rubber band tires. You got it goin on, rock on bro! ~sololobo~

18. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

19. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Looking good, 49-51 coupe's are the shit!

20. belair

belair

I like it! I admire your gumption.

21. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Thanks guys!

Sold some OT parts last night, should be able to cover my engine build now. :)

22. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Didn't get as much time in the garage as I wanted, but had a great holiday weekend, so no complaints. Did get time to build a set if dies for my bead roller so I could get to work on my inner panel replacement. The originals are still in ok shape, but figured it would be more work drilling spot welds and chopping them up than fabing some news ones.

Die build (having a lathe comes in handy):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cut out the rear window and started on the inner structure:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. greasebandit0801

greasebandit0801
    from houston

Nice project keep us posted

24. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Thanks! Starting to get cold here, going to have to drag out the heater this weekend.

25. Sir X Loin

Sir X Loin

Looks good homie. Got a 51 myself, I'm following your project.

26. teddyp

teddyp

looking good

27. Lovely restrained chop.

28. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Thanks everyone! Inner structure work is going well, should have some more pics this weekend.

29. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Got a little more done on the back, inner structure is taking the most time (want to do it right). Lots more work to do, especially with the catwalk (not quite happy with it yet) but starting to get a look at how it is all coming together. Profile pic doesn't look quite right due to the rear bracing and background giving it a little optical illusion, looks much better in person. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Going to take a break on body work for a little bit and get the drivetrain all sorted out. Need to make something cool out of this pile of parts:
    [​IMG]

62' Truck 261 with 235 head and a WC T5 that I need to get freshend and ready to put in. Should make for a nice daily driver setup.

30. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

Subscribed!!!!! Awesome project, I have a 50 chevy coupe I hope to start on soon. Love the look of the chop, definately want to do mine.