Register now to get rid of these ads!

Door Lettering for Idiots, PLEASE Show Us "How-To"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan in Pasadena, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

THIS thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404496&page=30

...has me worked up about wanting to put some lettering on my old '55 Chevy truck.

Unfortunately, I have ZERO artisitic ability. But the good news is I used to be a draftsman back in the day when things like draftsmen, buggy whip makers and blacksmiths existed.

So I think I can perform the mechanics of a design if one of you talented guys on the board would take a minute to explain some basics to us, pretty please?!

MAYBE I can pull this off(?)

Any/all advice prefereably with photos or links would be a REAL help.

2. Lots of threads on this .... taking the time to search deeper is always beneficial.

3. 34 Hound

34 Hound

I used to do commercial lettering/logos in the 70's. There are many websites that can show you, but 2 tried and true methods: sketch the design on craft paper and perforate along the lines. Use a sock filled with marking chalk (line chalk at Home Depot) to transfer the outlines onto the surface. Make 2 or 3 sheets for intricate designs. We also used a slide projector (dating myself here) to place the image on the surface while painting it in.

A digital camera and video projector is today's equivalent. There are millions of good ideas on the 'net that we didn't have back then. We had to design our own.

A steady hand, a few good brushes, and patience are key. I'd recommend a few practice panels - mounted vertically - to start with.

It's a lost art, everything is computer-cut vinyl now.

4. teejay99

teejay99

If you are computer savvy , there is an introductory free version of "sketchup" that will let you learn to design lettering or whatever .There is a learning curve but anyone should be able to grasp the basics on your P.C.....then print 'em out to use as templates , etc .
    T

5. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I like the idea of using Sketchup to make the design then following the recommendation to project it and pencil the lines on OR print the design out for the chalk method. Thanks guys!

6. edweird

edweird

then get some good lettering quills, one shot lettering enamel, mineral spirits, an old magazine to pallette out your paint , some fine line tape and your prefered music and have at it!:D good luck and lets see some pics when you are done.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It does take a bit of artistic skill along with the want to.
    I watched this gent at Billetproof in 2010 and he has some serious skills going to be able to paint the lettering on the doors and bed of the truck out in the open at a rod trot with the sun beating down and then get it to look like it had been on the truck for years.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have no idea of who he is but he is talented.

8. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Stupid Question #1: What's the fine line tape for? I thought you painted the One Shot on freehand?

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There are a couple of good videos on Youtube by Ed Roth featuring Von Dutch showing how to letter and pinstripe.

I knew an old self taught sign painter who used leftover house paint and hardware store brushes.You would love to have his work on your truck today.

10. teejay99

teejay99

Another thing I would do is use water based poster paint for a trial run or two just to get the feel . Poster paint is really cheap , water based so washes right off ....just until you feel comfy .

T

11. edweird

edweird

it is freehand. i use it at the top and bottom of a block letter, and for sharp edges on t's E'S C'S etc.you draw out your lines and follow it with fine line. makes for crisp, clean edges.at least that what i do.

Attached Files:

12. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Okay this is really cheating but i can't do nice fonts, i'm not that arty and i'm only messing around. I've found a font a like and print it out the lettering the size i want on normal copy paper. Put some transfer paper behind it and tape in place. Draw around the letters and take the paper off leaving a nice outline to follow.

One thing though, this is highly addictive and before you know it you'll be hooked. Started striping about 4 years ago and along with aquiring an airbrush i've got a fair bit of money in all my gear and paints.

Good luck, nothing better than some 1 shot lettering!

13. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I started out with an old book by Dick Bird.
    Explains the fundamentals perfectly, gives some great sample alphabets of classic lettering, and there's no shortage of his hilarious stories from back in the day.

14. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Dan , do yourself a favor and find a good qualified sign painter in your area and hire him. He might let you hang out while he's doing your job and you can see what it takes to properly hand letter some doors . you could then go home and practice what you witnessed . As with most things in life , it looks easier than it is .

15. Listen to this advice right above me by Philly. If ya want something that looks right I would do this. I have seen too many botched jobs by some that thought it looked good and didn't. It would be worth the money to me at least.

16. x3 if you hav'nt got time to practice, pay someone who has done the practice. it takes years to get to the point where you're happy to show it to anyone (did with me at least)

17. edweird

edweird

all of the above, starting with phil,

18. you can practice on glass. you can remove the paint easily when you want to practice again.

19. edweird

edweird

a little example of why i use fineline tape.hope this helps..............is this cheatin?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  20. There's nothing to it. Just grab a brush and some paint and practice. After a couple thousand hours you'll be good enough to make it look easy.

21. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ed, you almost have that figured out...

Nice work, -Abone.

22. edweird

edweird

i'm always learnin!

23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

NOT cheatin'...!!!

It's like anything else...one uses tools to make the job easier...is using a TIG to weld a frame together cheatin' when it used to be acetylene...???

R-

24. I've done HD and Indian logos on my garage door with an overhead projector. Printed the design on transparent printer paper and then traced the outline and coloured inside the lines. Nice to be able to say you did it yourself even if it is not professional quality.

25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

26. dad-bud

dad-bud

Dan, there seems to be plenty of tips and links on here already to give you a good idea of how to go about it. The suggestion of giving it a go on some old scrap panels sounds like a great idea to see if you want to try your old 55 truck.
    If you're not trying for the whole perfect paint and signwriting look, then what have you got to lose?
    (Apart from self-respect, friends, etc............ hahaha, just joking)
    Good luck and show us your practice and results.
    Now have at it!

27. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Probably. Personally, I wouldn't give a damn if I could letter like yours looks. Being the semi anal retentive that I am, I'm wondering if all you who say to hire a pro aren't just right?!

I'd HATE thinking it looked good and then finding out everyone else was secretly rolling their eyes when they saw it.

28. Hire a skilled artist.

29. Old Heap

Old Heap

I had a vinyl sign guy cut me some templates, positioned them on my doors, grabbed a rattle can, sprayed 3-4 lights coats, let it dry, carefully removed the templates (keep a razor blade handy), and bam, doors are done. One of these days I'll have the lettering done by a pro over real paint. For now it's my daily lots a fun driver.

Attached Files:

30. specialk

specialk

Best idea yet - the signs on your truck would probably cost < $75
    But, that begs the question, how much would it cost to hire somebody to do it?