Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Sexy Sadie" Custom Shoebox Build Thread...PICS!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pinstriper40, Nov 19, 2009.

1. daddio211

daddio211

Yup.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. shoebox50

shoebox50

Very nice work!

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Well ... it's tonight !!!

4. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I ended up burning some midnight oil last night so I'm sorry for those of you who have patiently waited. I filled the gap between the rear window and the decklid, and narrowed a '50 Pontiac rear bumper to fit. Next will be modifying bumper brackets, making a new rear valance panel, and a custom taillight treatment. Stay tuned!

Attached Files:

5. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'm going to need some photoshop work done pretty soon... You're the man to do it!

Thanks! It's always a learning process!

Thanks for being patient Allen- Hopefully you approve of the progress!

6. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

Awesome, glad to see you're back on it! Looking good!

7. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Thanks! It feels good to be in the new shop and be able to get things done. I also picked up my 322 nailhead yesterday for the shoebox so after bodywork is done that'll be fun to figure out.

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I was just going to say same,looks great and its good to see that you are working with it again!

9. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

Lookin' good. Mine took me 8 years.

10. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Thank You! The cycle of getting things done and pushing to get more done because of positive support from my "internet friends" here on the HAMB is a very encouraging one. I will have more updates by the end of the week.

11. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

At the time I'm deciding between taillight setups. I've got a set of '55 Olds taillights and surrounding sheetmetal, as well as a pair of '54 Mercury taillights. Either way the quarters will be extended 3-5". I also have a third option with the '55 Olds sheetmetal in my head... just using the shape of the base of the taillight housing but tunnelling it, putting in a smaller bullet style taillight, and then using a copper/bronze/gold mesh as a backer for the rest of the space. Like I said, I'm still undecided.

12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looking great....keep after it.

14. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Thank you Sir!

I sure will Skip. Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.

15. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

A little bit of progress... I mocked up the taillights I'm going to use- '54 Merc. I also tacked on '56 olds quarters because I had them around and heck, why not? I've been working on my uncle's '39 Chevy coupe so I haven't had much time to get things done with the shoebox... but progress will come weekly. I've got to get this thing in primer by spring!

Attached Files:

16. Hellfish

Hellfish

Looking good!

17. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Thanks Joe! It's been fun so far! Hopefully I'll have the taillights and rear gravel pan done in the next couple of weeks...

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep after it! I'm 6 years in, will probably be 9 or 10 when done.:)

Looking good!

19. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Thank You! I'm pretty motivated to get this car in primer for the spring shows... we'll see how it goes. I've got a new bottle of gas for the welder so look out folks! A couple nights this week of burning midnight oil and she'll look different again.

20. Where the hell have i been. This is a lot of work and looking fantastic. I love the evolution. Detail pics is what we want. Don't be stingy. lol. Love hard tops.

21. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

tedley where the hell have you been? I've been following your build on and off- I like your car as well! If you've got it running next summer bring it down to the Suedes run in Hillsboro, ND... we need more customs!

22. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Lookin' great, man! I love the roof profile! I like the 5s Merc taillights, but the Olds quarters look pretty slick, too!

23. Sounds like a plan. I'm getting close. It's running and moves on it's own. Lots of loose ends to tie up. Got to get a pass port to. Last time i was in the states i came accross on snowmobile going for coffee . Pre 9/11.
    Love what your doing on your car. Just stay motivated. I go into slumps sometimes.

24. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Thanks Todd! The roofline wasn't any magic formula or anything- just chopped it to preference. I hoped someone would comment on the olds quarters- they're a little too space-aged for this car, however.

If you don't make it down I may be up in July. Maybe we could throw together an impromptu Winnepeg shop tour?

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That tail light mock up looks good!
    Where is that rear bumper from?

26. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Olds quarters!...just sayin'...

27. scott51

scott51

Yeah olds quarters, the length totally balances out / compliments the length of the hard topped side windows

28. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Which taillight mockup? :) I'm leaning towards the Merc lenses but if I get enough votes for the Olds quarters I may just try it...

Jake I think you're just just saying that to see if I'd actually do it... :)

I agree actually... the round tip of the taillight and the middle trim in the lens looks alot like the rear section of the window... It could be done relatively quickly and easily...

Maybe you guys are onto something and it wasn't just a "beer induced idea"... I'll have to think about it. The Merc lights would look so simple and clean I think- the Olds lights are a bit cumbersome and "out there". I don't think I've ever seen a shoebox with '56 Olds quarters before, though if I have it was most likely Jim Laga (Kustom7777) that may have had those taillights on his shoebox before it went to outer space.

29. I like the Olds quarters on there.