Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New Spindle Bolt Issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2935ford, Nov 18, 2012.

1. 2935ford

2935ford

Anyone have the top cap washer seperate from the main shaft?

Taking my axle apart to correct the axle direction, I noticed the right spindle looked weird......it was missing the top pressed on (I think) cap, washer and felt. I found them directly below on the floor.

I don't think this is a good thing?

Now I don't trust either of them! :confused::mad:

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yes ,they are not attached all that well. Stick it back on and put a little tack weld on it. All that does is keep a bit of dirt and water out of the bushing,if wasn't there it really would not hurt anything.

3. 2935ford

2935ford

JohnEvans...Ok thanks, I'll try that.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Use a center punch to swedge it tight against the spindel opening where it sits.

5. 2935ford

2935ford

19Fordy....good idea, thanks.

6. Just FYI here the swedging is a better idea than tacking. It will be easier to remove for the next guy when he wants to take it apart.

7. Andy

Andy

Sounds like your axle or spindle is worn and are letting the spindle move too far up. The king pin is fixed to the axle and the thrust bearing should keep the spindle from pushing on the cap.

8. 2935ford

2935ford

Hi Andy....this is a fresh build....not on the road yet, just in assembly stage. Nothing worn all new and axle was done by Joe in Oklahoma.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  9. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

2935ford, I'm not sure I totally understand the problem.

The top of the "king pin" (the spindle piviots on this) usually has a felt washer and a metal cap to keep dirt out of the top spindle bushing.
    (is this the washer and cap your refering to?)

The "king pin" is located in the axle (vertically) by a lock pin (bolt) that enters through the hole in the front of the axle (on each side) and is held in place by a "dommed" nut that acts as a steering stop against the spindle.

It has a grove on either side of the pin that mates with a notch in the king pin. (that holds the king pin vertically)

If the lock pin isn't in place (or engaged properly) the king pin could drop; and push the cap and felt washer off.

It should be corrected. (as suggested above)

10. 2935ford

2935ford

Digger Dave....yes, that metal cap (attached pic w/arrow) is what I am referring to. It and the washer and felt were lying on the ground when I went to remove the spindle.
    So, I will place it back on and give the centre of the pin a wack with a centre punch to swedge it in.

Attached Files: