Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did the Tom McMullen Deuce & Jack Calori's 36 three window sell Saturday?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. I think it boils down to the same thing the HAMB does hot rods are WAY more popular than customs so they have a much bigger pool of potential buyers and therefore a much greater chance of bringing in more money.

2. You have to understand a few more things. First it is undisputable that the public, and THE HAMB like hot rods better than Customs. It was proven in Ryan's thread about a Customs only spin off.
    Second, and probably due to Tom's self promotion and very public persona, the Roadster was much more visible.
    Tom drove the piss out of that car. How many other hot rods, then or today ran that kind of power (and believe me it was significant) and got hammered on the street regularly? There might be cars that got (or get) driven more, but not with the kind of abuse Tom handed that thing. I saw it in more than a few street races and it wasn't like cars I see on here that have 7.00 rear tires and a wheezy 300HP - this thing was bad ass fast!
    This shouldn't be a comparison or competition between the two cars anyway - the are two very different cars, with different histories, and like it or not, the Mullen car is better known, more significant due to the exposure and that fact that it lit the fire and passion for more people, and will still inspire more people overall, regardless of what our personal opinions are.

3. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

"That could be right as Dana Mecum spoke to someone on stage then ran up to the auctioneer and said 700k jumping the bid. Seconds later the reserve was off and promptly sold. The way it was done appeared almost as if Mecum bought the car but of course he didn't. "

^^^^^ same thing happened with the Calori car if I remember when watching it. Several phone bidders/phone in owners etc on Saturday<!-- / message -->

4. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

^^ Typical crybaby bullshit. The HAMB is just another website. Don't like it? Then go kick rocks.

5. HOTROD GAMBLER

HOTROD GAMBLER

All right I had to join just to set the record straight on this Geroge Poteet did not get the car I know who did get the car an Im not about to tell as I have been asked not to. On the matter of Jacks 36 it went to the same guy an he is more then happy with the price of both cars an cant wait to have them in his line up of cars

So you all can stop bickering over the cars if you all wanted them so bad you could have bid on them it was a public auction after all IMHO

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Great intro. But....

[​IMG]

7. OK,,now go do an intro!

We don't know you from Adams house cat and don't know if your blowing smoke or not,,and as for it being a public auction you are indeed correct,,it was but very few of us could be players in this field. HRP

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  8. So many people fill out their profile with nonsense and then can't figure out why no one takes them serious. Hotrod Gambler is from some where out there, and has so many cars he can't count them and knows, but can't say about the thread. Sounds good to me.

9. takehikes

takehikes
    from napa

I wasn't there but I have heard the stories of Tom and that car and he did run it, hard and a lot. His wife Rose drove it some too racing.

10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FYI---EVERY member voted into LAR club SIGNS his application to ABIDE BY THE CONSTITUTION & BYLAWS OF LAR CLUB!!!!!!!!

11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SORRY!!---Wrong info!

12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Then go by the RULES, & apply for membership.

"REPUTATION"???---I could tell you some stories from the inside---But thats irrevelent.
    I will tell you Tom was voted into LAR membership with card #16, kicked out of LAR in the 60's, & reapplied in the mid 70's after marrying Deanna, & was once again voted in.----Don

13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NOPE!---Only members.

14. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

So your only strike against one of the most influential and visible hot rods of all time is because of the owner?

15. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

He was referring to what your location says, not where the cars went.

16. HOTROD GAMBLER

HOTROD GAMBLER

My mistake then Sorry Don

17. Well tell us this HG,from somewhere out there,since you know the new owner of both cars,will the cars ever be seen again or like priceless pieces of art and kept away from the harsh sunlight and the public eye? :confused: HRP

18. HOTROD GAMBLER

HOTROD GAMBLER

I cant speak for him but id say that there goin to be driven
    He is not one to baby his cars and I dont think these ones are going to be any different

19. Larry T

Larry T

So Tom didn't return the plaque when he was kicked out the first time? Did it stay with the car all this time through all the owners?

20. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know about the 2nd version, but the pix I took with the mosher motor in his '32 was a GLASS body.
    Also, did you know the steel roadster he had,you described above, had a sawed off 12 ga. shotgun mounted under the dash????????

Oh yes, there are lots of untold happenings back then---But who cares now, right???---Don

21. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

No! I just happen to think that there are far more influential Hot Rods out there. As I stated, this one is more visible because of the antics of the original owner. It is amazing how well you can self promote when you own a popular magazine.

22. banjorear

banjorear

I thought he was the one who owned it? No?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  23. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are all considered my HAMB friends,--& of course we all have different views on many subjects,----But, I CAN speak for the LAR club when it comes to POLICY & CONSTITUTION & BYLAWS.
    Being a constant Board member from 1971 to 1984 we worked hard to make a good agreeable document & updated changes.
    The "twenty dollar" chunk of aluminum cast by the KROELER casting Co. is a revered item for each voted in LAR member, & not to be cast off lightly.
    As explained previously, the LAR plaque is simply LAR club property.
    Any other car clubs can do as they see fit, but these are the LAR club RULES.-----Don

24. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I've never understood the "value" of a diamond. It's just a shiny rock. You can't drive it or live in it. What's it good for other than making a women "speechless"?

The coupe is the more appealing car if you ask me. I've never thought much of that roadster ...kinda ugly.

25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should have been in our LAR weekly meeting when Tom brought in one of those cats one Thursday night!!!(on a leash for sure!).----Don

26. Don,lets just agree to disagree,,if the new owner want's to send it back he can but if he keeps it basically all the club can do is complain about it. HRP

27. Don; This is the history of Tom's three Roadsters as I have known it:
    Tom McMullen bought his first hot rod, a 1932 highboy roadster, in 1958. Equipped with a 283-cid Chevy small block and a two-barrel carb, the car performed well, but Tom wanted more.
    By 1962, the car was a unique combination of power and style. The small block, now 301 cubic inches, featured a GMC 4-71 blower. A Halibrand quick change and a parachute resided out back, and a pressurized Moon tank sat between the front frame horns.
    Bold flames, laid out by Ed Roth and sprayed on by McMullen, combined with Roth-applied pinstriping to give the car an in-your-face look that appealed to youngsters when it appeared on the April 1963 cover of Hot Rod magazine.
    McMullen opened a street rod wiring company at about this time. Lackluster business prompted him to do freelance magazine articles using his Deuce as the guinea pig.
    He added a Chevy 327 and raced the car at the local dragstrips and El Mirage, where it set an A/Street Roadster record of 167 mph in 1964.
    Next, Tom installed a wild Ford 427 wedge that made the car too hairy for street use. After starting his next business (building custom parts for Harley-Davidson motorcycles), he lost interest in the hot rod and eventually sold it in 1969 to help finance the business.
    McMullen founded Street Rodder magazine in 1972, and built a new Deuce in 1976 as a magazine project car. Dubbed "The Ultimate Roadster," the hot rod used state-of-the-art 1970s technology, but lacked the trademark Moon tank and parachute.
    A genuine steel roadster, this car featured digital gauges, a credit card ignition, full independent suspension, and a 350-cid Chevy small-block V-8 with dry-sump oiling and Moser DOHC heads. Tom sold this car in the early 1980s.
    McMullen built his third Deuce in 1991, again for Street Rodder. This one, built using aftermarket frame rails and a fiberglass body, captured the look of the original McMullen Deuce as it appeared in 1964. McMullen drove his final Deuce until he was killed in a plane crash in 1995.

I don't think the third, and only glass car had the Moser Heads - Could be wrong, but that's what I have always been fairly sure of.

28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right on target HRP!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK,----Here it is again!---The pix with mosher & glass body '32 when we were at a roadster run in Fresno---OK???----Don:D

Attached Files:

30. By all accounts that car, which was built in 76 was ALWAYS reported to be a genuine steel car - at least that's how it was represented by Tom in the magazine at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.