Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 Galaxie sedan with Swing-Away Steering Wheel ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55olds88, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

The 1963 Galaxie had a swing away steering option. Well,according to my shop manual anyways.

2. Yes I have had two of them and still drive my convertible daily with the swing a way column it is a great option to have! eases getting in or out greatly, plus lots of fun when at a show or such, to just kick it over like it's a every day thing! some people freak out ! at seeing it. My car is a ratty driver and I would sell the complete set up for the right price. and put in a standard dash? power windows, seat as well.

3. von zipper

von zipper

I have one in my 64! I agree, it's fun to see the look on their faces when you slide the wheel back to the regular position! Plus when they argue with you saying that it didn't come from the factory like that! I found mine while looking for a TBird! Bought it because I never saw one on a Galaxie!! :D

4. Squatch

Squatch

I bought a complete set-up from a guy who had it on a shelf in his garage for 20 years... $300! Going to put it in my wagon this winter... there are a lot of parts that have to be changed. I have a book that shows everything.. off the original Ford diagrams...

Am looking for powerwindow and seat for my wagon too...

Mike

5. aussiewinza

aussiewinza
    from Australia

i have a 63 and 1/2 fastback with bench seat and the swingaway option. i can try get photos if they are needed?

6. 283

My unk bought a new 63 1/2 fastback that had the swing a way wheel. I was really impressed with that. A few years later I was tickled to find it in the 66 Bird I bought during my Sr year in high school. Cool option to find on a post car.

7. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Now I wonder if mines has one.

8. teejay99

teejay99

Learn something every day , I guess ....thought it was only a T-Bird option .

T

9. It was a T bird standard feature that was offered on the Galaxie and full size Merc ( without deluxe A/C) very cool and fairly rare as mentioned...

10. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Damn -it , my '64 is missing mine .
    SCHWEEEEET THOUGH

11. barney rubble

barney rubble

I read somewhere once that it was installed on less than 3% of the cars in 1963. Oh yeah this thread is 2 years old.

12. ................................Still interesting though.

13. Look under the bottoms of the seats for the build sheet. probably under the back seat but I have seen them under the front seats as well over the years. it will tell you everything you want to know about the car.

As far as I know the swing away wheel was a thunderbird option but that doesn't mean that they never did that to a galaxie. Something to remember is that lots of things got done at the dealership for good customers.

14. So he obviously "Searched"......Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. :/

Make sure you have the column in swing, to crank it.
    My '62 Rocketbird almost went thru the back wall of my hanger the first time I started it.
    Not much detent between Park and Reverse, but you get used to it.
    Neat option.

15. Thunderrocket,
    I have always felt that the absolute neatest thing you could ad to a custom would be a swing away wheel. I had on thunderhawk that had one and I loved it.

16. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

My old man told me a story about very old car lot porter couldnt figure out how to drive one of those because the "steering wheel was broke".

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

The oldman had a '64 bird with the swing away. Think I recall seeing one in a '64 Galaxy once, too. Very cool option rarely seen in non T-birds of the era.

18. Vetshelby

Vetshelby
    from IL.

I have a 63 country sedan second owner with original window sticker , it was a $63 option.its very rare I suspect.

19. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

A few years back when I lived in Switzerland I went to see a 63 Gal, pb, ps, pw, and the seller told me tilt column, what he meant was swing-away...here are some pics of the car... paint redone:eek::eek::eek: but interior all original...and no I didn't buy it...:confused::confused: and you'll notice the speedo was in km/h

[​IMG]

Steering column pushed to the side...
    [​IMG]

And now back in the center position
    [​IMG]

20. barney rubble

barney rubble

Whats up with that god awful ignition switch?

21. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

they lost the keys and couldn't source the proper parts....

22. That ignition switch might be a little funky, but that 200kph speedo is way cool.

23. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

im getting a swing away set up soon from a 64 mercury maruader to install into my 63 mercury monterey 2 door . i love this option and didnt think i had a chance to find this system for mine anytime soon.
    jhonnee d lots of places have replacements ignition switches for your car even ebay.

24. blt

blt
    from Louisville

do you move them by pulling the shift lever back like a t-bird? and was this an option on xl console cars also?

25. big M

big M

The components to the '63-4 Mercury and Ford swingaway setups used mostly different parts than their Thunderbird counterparts, so if you are buying one from a vendor, be sure it is 100% complete, and don't believe it if the seller says the 'bird parts will all fit.

---John

26. ....On my '64 Galaxie 500 you just moved the shift lever to the PARK position and the column would slide easily to the right. I don't think the option was available on console shifted cars like the XLs.

27. Moetors

Moetors
    from SD

I own a 64xl with a swing away steering column...it has a console with a center plate with no shifter hole... Seen this same console in a 63 police car with a std auto column shifter...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. I just happened to be lucky enough to own a 1963 1/2 Galaxie with the swing steering wheel. I knew it was rare, but believe me, It's a beauty!!!!!!!!! Take a look.........

Attached Files:

F&J likes this.
  29. R Pope

R Pope

A collecter I know has a few hundred Fomoco cars, there are four or five Mercs and Galaxies with that wheel setup in his lot.

30. ..............That's a '64,James.

F&J and egads like this.