Register now to get rid of these ads!

55-57 Chevy big Block Header Help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasr57, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

I am looking into doing a big block swap on my '57 150 sedan. Can anyone recommend a chassis header that will work without cutting the rear motor mounts? Any tips or tricks or recommendations on this swap would be greatly appreciated. Nothing beats first hand experience and I would like to learn from your experience.Thanks for your time guys.

2. Shiftee

Shiftee

Hedman has some good headers under the hussler name but not sure about the rear mounts. Went thru the same thing for some Sbc headers!

3. kennkat

kennkat

I have used both the "Headman Hustler" header as well as the "Hooker Competition" header and both were installed in the stock 55 - 57 chassis, with manual trans both times.

4. R Stevens

R Stevens
    from Windber,Pa

My buddy used hooker super comps with front mounts. Don' know if they will work with rear mounts

5. kennkat

kennkat

Not "here-say", first hand information... First did this in 1975.. have done MANY in the years between '75 & '80.... Back then we used the front mounts (usually solid) AND the factory mid mount by using an off the shelf Lakewood Scatter-shield that was made for the side mounts, but a stock 55-57 bell will work also. Over the years some things have changed, my experience is that the 4 tube headers have not.:):):) I Still prefer fenderwell headers on a "Tri five" Chevy. :)

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

yeah - fenderwells. If you're going to make BBC noises, then make it look big too.

7. chop32

chop32

Ive used the Hedman chassis headers. Hope your car isnt lowered, my collectors hung way below the bottom of the frame to clear the bellhousing mounts.
    I later switched to a side side engine mounts/tailshaft trans mount setup and was able to easily modify a set of '67-'69 Camaro headers for better ground clearance, after I cut off the old bellhousing/frame mounts.

8. kennkat

kennkat

:) Yes they do hang very low... As I recall we used the 6 cylinder motor mount holes when making front mounts for the big block swap...:):)