Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have this problem with Fram Oil filters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26Tudor, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fram doesn't need to be "a service" it is "a product" and when (or IF) enough fail lawyers get involved (IF they feel there is a case) and start a class-action lawsuit. They never cost a consumer a dime. The only people that could lose out are the lawyers.

Appearently there isn't enough "valid" evidence of thses filters actually being bad to make a case or even start an investigation.

I don't know how many times someone changes their filter without checking to see if the gasket came off with the old filter. Now they screw on the new filter only to have a blowout of some sort. Now the first thing they do is say "it must be a defective filter", because it couldn't be the defective installer.

2. There you go.... There's the answer! But people won't hear the correct answer, they'll only hear what they want to hear. Kinda like putting blinders on a horse. I've been preaching the difference between the "HP" and the "PH" filters but only to the deaf.

Give this INTELLIGENT man a cigar! ;)

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, as a pro-builder, I have never seen a filter failure that was NOT a Fram. My install, or otherwise. Even if it is ALL "user error", and that is unlikely, there is still no good reason to use this brand, and any cost.

There may not be enough failures, or enough evidence for a class-action lawsuit, but that does not matter, there is not one happening to join.

I lost two engines. Others have lost engines too. I have my evidence, even without the payout.

4. Well just for the record (and the naysayers).....

The NAPA Gold, Wix AND the Fram HP (not PH) filters all run down the same assembly line a DANA in Charlotte, NC.

The K&N and Mobil 1 filter are also the same but currently I can't remember the factory but it's not DANA.

5. Look Gimp I'm not tryin' to start a pissin' match with you but just think about it for a minute.

IF these filters were as bad as a few claim, this would be the largest consumer fraud case in our nation's history. Think about it realistically!

6. If enough consumers have a problem with a product they will not buy it and the company either has to correct the problems or go out of business. Fram has been around a long time and is still in business so that must say something.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If only 100 people in the US have an issue with a Fram (a company that sells tens-of-millions of filters annually) filter that causes them to lose an engine, it will NEVER affect Fram's business, and may not even be noticed.

That does not make it suck any less for those 100 people, or me, twice.

Caveat Emptor.

8. I worked in the auto repair business for 45 years and I saw all sorts of parts failures that caused any number of people headaches but that did not mean that all of those products were no good. There will always be a certain percentage of failures of any product No company enjoys it when there are problems with their parts but that is just a reality of mass production.

9. A Boner

A Boner

But they probably use about 8000 filters to "drive" 2000 miles!

10. Maybe you're right.
    I think I'll go ahead & take my truck to an experienced shop (Goodyear,Midas,AAmco,Econo Lube-N-Tune)& have them put my used fram back on my truck & let it rattle itself to a slow death.
    And to make it a truely experienced service,I'll have them crossthread the drain plug as well (which I think is usually included with no extra labor fees).
    :D

11. So what you're saying is that IF these filters were as bad as some claim they are, that they are perfectly fine to use in a 1/4 million dollar engine as long as it's for a short period of time. :rolleyes:

The unsubstantiated B.S. and scare tactics on this thread are becoming more and more amusing with every post. :D

12. refried confusion

refried confusion

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  13. Read this thread.

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

Just cut them open and decide for yourself. I have for me no more Frams.

15. refried confusion

refried confusion

gytyt

16. I have! No problem here! Nothing that isn't found in many filters out there.

Plenty of filtration with very little restriction. Much less restriction than a cotton wound filter.

Anoth thing I get a kick out of is guys saying that their GM engine knocks because of a Fram filter. GM engines, both V6's and V8's are well known for knocking with as little as just 4 digits on the odometer. GM's answer to that is that the noise of the knock is acceptible to the industry.

So how many people are going to stop buying GM vehicles?

Nope! Not at all.

I'm just a realist that doesn't go around saying the sky is falling because someone else says it is.

17. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Anyone ever use Baldwin filters? What your opinion of them?

18. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

So, when you do this, are you under torquing them or over torquing them?.......lol

19. refried confusion

refried confusion

bcbfjfjf

20. Yea but then do you want all the heads to look like a + or an x? :p

21. refried confusion

refried confusion

X xxxx

22. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

I have seen 3 Fram filters fail in my motor shop and 1 AC. After cutting them open, the cardboard was a mess stoping almost all flow. I have sent Fram many emails and still waiting for a reply.

23. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

John Force Racing receives a BIG check for using that filter.

24. So your point is that he would risk millions in points and winnings for a little sponsorship money??? LOL

And Fram is his only sponsor he has to worry about?!?! RLMFAO!

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

Every bit as good as wix.

26. Wahddyacare---those little orange thingys next to your avatar friend look like fram filters--plugged,,all bulged out,,fkd up & ready to grenade!
    ;)

27. 32ratsass

32ratsass

TORX is the real answer!!!!! :D

28. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

For what it's worth, I read a couple reviews for oil filters on the net.
    Of all the filters tested, Purolator Gold was the best.
    It had more filter area, a better bypass, stronger can and better overall quality.
    I get mine at NAPA.

29. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Next door neighbor is a Ford mechanic. He said stay as far away from Fram as you can. If it's ford use Motorcraft, if it's Chevy use AC/Delco. In otherwords original equipment. I have no idea what comes out of the factory on Chrysler products.

30. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

K & N Only. For me. A little more $$$, but worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.