Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did the Tom McMullen Deuce & Jack Calori's 36 three window sell Saturday?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Roadster has been a icon for a long time just curious if it sold and who is the new owner. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. Wow! :eek:,,know who owns it now? HEP

3. Didn't catch that.

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

5. metal man

metal man

I don't know who bought it. I did notice TWO deleted threads on this subject yesterday? Someone said a couple of weeks ago on here that George Poteet was going to buy it whatever it took....

6. I did realize that this car could be considered off topic,,if George did get it I'm sure I will finally get to see it in person,,he drives his cars so it will probably be at the Shades of the Past in Pigeon Forge next year. HRP

7. Larry T

Larry T

Why would the car be considered off topic? To new?

8. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

fixed for ya :)

9. The reply before my last response said two threads were deleted about the car makes me think someone thought it was . HRP

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Am I losing it or did this car have dual overhead cam Moser heads on it for a while? I hope I'm not getting senile. I did a quick search but couldn't find a pic. I hope Geo. got it too.

11. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Tommy
    I think that was the second one …. I believe there are / were 3

12. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

hahaha typical HAMB the McMullen roadster is off topic and threads are deleted....yet the Im gonna put an S-10 frame under my 1942 hupmobile sedan and some red Chevy rallyes with wheel spiders just like the '50s bro thread stays going strong......... What about that car is un-traditional was it not the cutting edge in '63-64???

13. Celebrity Status!

14. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Two other sales of interest:

Jack Calori's 36 three window sold for $300,000.

The HRM first color photo '53 F100 sold for $73,000.

15. Got any idea who got Jacks 36? HRP

Granted jacks 36 has a more storied past than the McMullen roadster but both have a place in Hot Rod history. HRP

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, I guess I'm not ready for the rubber room yet.

700Gs for a clone:D.... I get it. I get it.:D

17. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The very fact that it sold for that kind of money makes it non traditional.

18. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

I'm not justifying it, but that is at least building a car, this is along the lines of gossiping.

19. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

There must have been some privacy issues, Mecum didn't even show the faces of the bidders at the auction, and I guess thats just a statement on todays society.

20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the deleted threads were not off topic, they were redundant

there were no less than six on page one
    how many do we need?

21. Hardly,Tom purchased the car in 1958 and that car helped inspire a lot of Hambers including me!

Obviously a car does not have to have a hemi in it to be considered Traditional or desirable. HRP

22. metalman

metalman

Umm, my understanding it's preety well documented as the real original McMullen roadster he bought in 58.
    Saw the car here right after Brizio restored it, pretty darn traditional I'd say. I know it's the one that made me fall in love with 32 Roadsters back a long time ago, I think the cover with the parachute and motorcycle cop did it.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At one time it did. Tom was continually changing the car when he had it.
    Like a lot of other rods it morphed through a lot of different setups but on it the basic appearance never changed like those of a lot of other hot rods of the era.

I think when Roy Brizio's shop restored it they did it to the way it was on the cover shot we always end up seeing.

Car was sold at it's reserve of 700 K and the bidder was a Proxy bidder for an unknown bidder who I would imagine was on the phone.

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

which is a better investment. one $700,000 famous car or seven "regular" ones?

25. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

That wasn't a clone that was the original.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A VERY nice home on a nice spread of land, a roadster AND a '34 coupe. With money left over.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

The SECOND car Tom built had the Moser heads. That car lives in a collection here in Connecticut. Bob :)

28. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Connecticut? Who's got that one?

29. I still have a picture in my head of a time I saw that roadster sitting in an Eagle Rock driveway minus engine. front end parts all over the front lawn for 2-3 days. probably couldn't get away with that now.
    Same time frame 1958-59 saw Bresetti (sp) bros. lakester sitting in the street on the other side of town. purple and pinstripped heavy'
    those really were "good old days"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.