Register now to get rid of these ads!

changing stance on 49 styleline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49styleline, Nov 17, 2012.

1. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

hello, im wondering if anyone knows were i can buy some 3 inch droped uprights for my 49 Chevy styleline or some that will work, i cant seem to find any.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. You cant buy drop spindles for a 49-54 Chevy. However you can get dropped uprights for your car. Fatman Fabrication has them or you can send yours to Buffalo Ent. in Washington state and he can modify yours. 2-1/2 inch drop is all you will get. Cut a coil spring or two to gett a little more. Todd

3. 'Mo

'Mo

Like Tugmaster said, Fatman's or Buffalo.

I've got Fatman's on my '50. I also used the dropped steering arms.

I used Buffalo's on my '49. I used this with his disc brake kit, which includes dropped steering arms.
    I like this combo, because it is the only disc brake kit that does not move the wheels outward.

I also used Bufffalo's dual M/C kit on both cars.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  4. kingofknights

kingofknights

cut the springs, 2 coils will lower it a few inches

5. Got the Fatman's on my '50. Nice drop and a good product.

6. GREASER815

GREASER815

So just cut the springs? Or spend $600 on uprights?

7. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Dropped uprights are the best way to lower because they still give you full suspension travel. That being said, back in "the day" you couldn't mail order a set of them from anywhere because they just weren't available, so I'm guessing about 99% of the mildly lowered Chev's back then used the cut coil method. If you only want a 3" drop, I would start by cutting a coil and a half and see where you are. You can always cut more if needed. Also, we used to cut the rubber bottom stops in half to give a little more spring travel.

Guys did run dropped uprights back in the 50's but they were home made. Here's a pic of my '49 with dropped uprights and 2 1/2 coils cut. I had to modify the lower A arms for this setup to work right but as you can see, it was pretty much "in 'da weeds" with a total of 6" drop.

Attached Files:

8. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx