Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects FED with killer Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fenderless, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

Kjell
    The manifold I made is a rather elaborate CNC milled part. I'm sure from seeing what you've done so far that you could fabricate a welded manifold that would work just as well. The blower I'm using is not any bigger than yours, if as big. Here's a picture of the adaptor plate showing the opening.

Attached Files:

2. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Very nice Roy:) And yes we'r gonna weld one up;) Just hope this will work better, hopfully as good as yours!:)

Blue

Taildragger&fenderless

3. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

Go get em Kjell.

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Kjell, you are the man! I got home today, and the magazine was here!

Thanks a bunch!

5. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

We are still pondering about the new intake, but we have gotten very good advices, thanks Flat Roy, and also some good info. from Adrew Rea NZ. So here are a litle figure on howe it might be!?
    Making it solid is one factor I did not think of, but as A.D said make it solid as they had some crack issues.

I just have to polish everything:D! Again.....:D

Taildragger&fenderless

Attached Files:

6. gotta be careful with crack, I hear its bad for u

7. If you're pondering a new manifold, you might want to get in touch with Tom Roberts. He's the guy that has done a lot of the patterns for Tony Baron and he has a really interesting manifold that I'd checkout if I was you. I happen to have one (I invested in the original run he did quite a few years ago). He also makes a lot of patterns for Magnuson - which is why you'll see his supercharger kit being offered by Magnuson and visa-versa.

I like the concept of a cross-ram plenum . . . though I've never ran mine to know if it is any better than more traditional 'box plenums'. Does it work in the 1/4 mile - or maybe Bonneville . . . or maybe both . . . who knows.

Anyway, see the attached PDF document - with a couple original shots when he was designing it. You should give Tom a call for pricing. I you want some detailed pictures or dimensions from my actual manifold, let me know - can take them.

Best of luck!

BlowerManifold1.jpg

BlowerManifold3.jpg

View attachment TRD_Catalog-08.pdf

8. damn Dale that sure is nice............

9. Now Carl . . . aren't you making a blown 4-71 yourself . . . might want to check this out before you're in any deeper! :D

10. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thanks Dale:) This was really interesting. At the moment my pockets are emty, so not much funds to buy alot. But I will contact Tom and hear what he has to say:) At the moment we are looking to make one.
    Just an idea, make a similar style, but angle the ports toward the center, making the plenum smaller and fit the areal size of the output of the blower (4.71)!?
    The crossram plenum is probably better for the flow and matches the flow of the blower!?
    Thanks again Dale:)

Br
    Kjell

Taildragger&fenderless

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  11. Yea Dale am in the process but like Kjell my champange tastes don't match my beer budget at least until I win the lottery. So its homemade for me with whats on hand......

12. Kustom Dick

Kustom Dick
    from Finland

Stay sober for couple of weekend and buy Navarro blower intake, That's how I got mine....

13. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Sorry, NO! can't do it, too much fun:D! First up is the annual SVDA meeting, then boat cruise with the Grinders:eek::D!

K

Taildragger&fenderless

14. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

We have now desided to try making a new intake with 8 equal length runners into to a plenum, not that large. The crossflow runner idea is really interesting, thanks for the tip Dale:) We will consider slanting the runners to make the crossflow, but we will see if we kave enough space. We'r gona make a new mounting ange for the fourth exhaust pipe, making abit easier to take off the big Baron heads.
    I got to join the Smith Bros crew for some Dyno time on their Hilborn injected SBC, learn alot every time:D!
    I whent back to my garage pondering on my setup, reading more.
    Then I found a big fault in my barrel valve. The spole that we have been useing has way to big slot, same as for Nitro:eek:! No wonder we didn't got it right. So next season things are getting really in the right direction:D!

Or just switch to NITRO:D!?.........

Taildragger&fenderless

15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Kjell, what did Hilborn say about the injection?

Are you still going to inject it under the blower?

16. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Hello Buddy:)

Have not heard from Hilborn. A Friend in Sweden is helping me to figure out if my nozzles are too big or..!?
    With a correct spole, we will not have to lean out so much, then the system pressure will get raised. When we Dynoed my friends SBC, we learned alot:)!

After reading abit more, and from the advice from you guys, we will not use port nozzles at this time, but we will make provtions for them, I hope, if there is enough space.

Roger is abit tied up at the moment! Fixing rust on a 69 Mustang, his gasser modell A, new bike projects, Woman.....:D!

Taildagger&fenderless

17. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Started Christmas to grabbing a beer and watching the
    World's fastest Idian.
    Have a couple of wishes to Santa;
    1.May everyone in my family have a good health.
    2. Finding the money to go to my family in the US.
    Experiencing Bonneville Speed ​​Week 2013, and meet the Flatcad gang.:)!

Merry xmas to everyone:)

Kjell

Taildragger&fenderless

18. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Have a good Christmas also Kjell, Tim Jones

19. Kjell may you and yours have the happiest of holidays..................
    Tim may you and yours also.......................
    actually may all on the hamb have the happiest of holidays........

20. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Happy new year to all;)
    2013 is gona be a gooooood year!!:)

Kjell

Taildragger&fenderless

21. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Another new year and new possebillities:)
    After some discussion, the DOCTOR has adviced me to run with the current 64A nozzles. New spool for the 2-port will be ordered soon:)
    We made two new spools last year, but not the best, so we'll buy one this time:)
    Roger is abit busy, but fabrication of the new intake will start soon.

I hade my birthday yesterday, and my wife gave me two presents, one soft (clothes), and one hard (se below):D:D!

Kjell

Taildragger&fenderless

Attached Files:

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Good to hear ,Happy B day Kjell, Had that booklet when I was younger, Tim Jones

23. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thanks Tim:)

While waiting for Grinder1 to have some spare time, I know I have to wait in line;), I have pondered about the blower drive system.
    Do we change to serpentine, or stay with 3xV-belts?
    Have gotten a 57 thooth magnesium lower pully and some other stuff from a Hemi. Just have to find an upper pully.
    I think we also need to make a crank support.

Got this article from a friend in Sweden:)

Taildragger&fenderless

Attached Files:

24. Happy Birthday Kjell - wish I was over there to toast you with a few pints! Do you think you'll make it to Bonneville this August?

25. Personally, on a flathead like yours - I'd run a 2" cog belt and 1/2" pitch pulleys. You'll not need to worry about belt slippage. One thing to note, is that if you go this route - make sure you have a burst panel system in your manifold (can't remember of you do) - as the belt won't slip on a backfire.

Should be a pretty easy thing to setup - if you want me to measure my crank hub, no problem.

Dale

26. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thanks Dale:)

The pully I have is with 4.5mm. I really don't want to have too much tention on the crank, so we just need to make some spacers to get it as close as possible to the engine. I was also thinking of making a lip, similar as on the Weiand vintage pullys. All this came to my head, as the new intake manifold will be abit taller than the old one.

And YES Dale, I'm in the works trying to plan the trip to Bonneville and meet you for a cold one:D! Roger need to check with colleagues as school start around the same time. I also need to check out the work part. But we really hope to get this sorted out:)! Buddy has a room too:):)!

Kjell

Taildragger&fenderless

27. Here's another happy birthday Kjell,
    Been following you off and on with your project.....really cool....thanks for all the updating.
    I just pulled my little FED down over the past 2 days, going in with a fresh engine soon, along with a higher stall converter and lighter, magnesium wheels and sticky-er tires.....thus the looking on here for "inspriration" during break periods.....you are giving it to me.....

28. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thanks Skotz:)

Congrats with the 10 sec:) Wish it was me! But hope to be there by the first event;) Have to be positiv, and sice I have a big mouth i better:D!

Br
    Kjell

Taildragger&fenderless

29. topchopvalle

topchopvalle

Just read the whole thread, good work Kjell.
    Hope to see you at Kjula this season. Are you going to Norrköping?
    Best regards The treecutter

30. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thanks Rich:)

Oh yes! We'll be at Kjula this summer, but not in august, Bonneville is the plan:) Have you posted pictures here of the infamous treecutting run? especially when you hit mother earth after looking at the moon:D?

K

Taildragger&fenderless