Register now to get rid of these ads!

opinion on gasser hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64 SS, Nov 16, 2012.

1. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I think a flat stock hood, or a fiberglass version of a flat hood (with hood pins) would be the coolest.

I've really gotten to dislike z28 style cowl hoods on any car that didn't come with them originally.

2. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Flat hood till you need a hole to clear something. Then i think about cutting it large and covering just the radiator and hinge area,To show the whole motor without running no hood
    [​IMG]

3. storm king

storm king

Do NOT put a cowl scoop on it! That is, unless you really do want it to look exactly like everyone else's car, in which case you could save a bunch of money and just go buy a Kia. Seriously, scoop choice should be made based upon what era you want the car to represent. When those cars were first being ru as "gassers" (UGH! Most of those little Nova's weren't, they were "exhibition match racers", or, early funnycars, both terms were used back then) they used the low profile front opening scoops as was shown early in this thread. Many, many of them used the Ford Thunderbolt teardrop scoop, but turned around backward so the wide, open end was facing forward. The very square "Grump Lump" scoops came later, like late, late 1969 or early '70's. Wheel choice dates the car too. if you're using spun aluminum wheels like super tricks, use a Grump Lump, because the car is then represnting a later ear of drag racing and would be a modified eliminator car, not really a gasser.
    Anyway, everyone has opinions, those are mine. Make the car the way it pleases you, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks about it.

4. kennkat

kennkat

Listen up, He speaks the TRUTH! This was likely a common problem for any gasser with a too nose high attitude.. But I too can tell you from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE in a couple of early Novas including one that almost landed me on my head at OCIR many years ago..... :eek:

5. 64 SS

64 SS

Im just going to keep it simple and clean. Stock hood, moderate ride height, and just a fun safe car to drive because that little motor friggin rips... I actually just ordered all my front disc brake parts and rear will be coming for christmas. At least I will be able to stop with 4 wheel disc. Thanks all for the suggestions and comments great forum. TWO THUMBS UP!!!!!

6. Gasser64

Gasser64
    from Canada

Here is a few shots of my little Gasser !

Attached Files:

7. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Cross ram w no hood

8. Hell Yeah ! Everyone has the ford truck scoop, me included, but this one makes it all come together for a good 60's vibe.

9. jratz1966

jratz1966

There used to be a chevy 11 running around here with a stinger or corvette style scoop on it looked pretty kool,I also like the tear drop.

Jratz

10. Screw the scoop idea!

Get yourself an injector setup and have a set of stacks sticking outta that hood.

11. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

12. II FUNNY

II FUNNY