Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help me decide.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeep-joint, Nov 17, 2012.

1. jeep-joint

jeep-joint

I have a 1948 Flathead that needs to be in some sort of Hot Rod. I'm torn between a real steel '31 roadster and a fiberglass '32 coupe. I'm not a purest, but like both vehicles. Which way would you go steel roadster or glass coupe?
    Thanks for your insight.:confused:

2. badshifter

badshifter

Such a big decision you decided to ask twice?

3. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Two identical posts?
    And, I wonder why so many FNGs ask how to make a decision. "Should I marry a blonde or a redhead?"
    "Should I paint my car red or blue?"
    Hell, man, if you are not just blowing smoke about building then do whatever you want.

4. Steel is easier to work with. Let me ask you this, do you drive year aroud or do you want a fair weather vehicle? Maybe that will help you. If you owned a motorcycle would you ride it year round? If so then it is just a matter of steel being easier to work with.

5. supervert

supervert

send it all to me and i will properly dispose it all for you. and then you wont have to make any discussions

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'd go with the '31 roadster. 'Glass '32s are going to be available as long as we have a Constitution.
    Oh...better hurry...

7. Whoops too late.

8. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

[​IMG]
    And I'm talking about the last two posts.

9. ... should I answer with my cell phone or computor? .... damn.

10. Should I be Happy?..........Or should I be sad?......

Attached Files:

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I missed the Pug in the other thread, nice dog. Bob [​IMG]

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

If it ain't steel it ain't real.

13. She came to me as a stray. She's a great dog. Her and the Stude look an awful lot alike.:D

14. dad-bud

dad-bud

Go with the A

15. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

32's are played. A all the way.

16. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

great dogs, pugs i have one and she is awesome..anyway no to fiberglass,go with steel its what real men do

17. jeep-joint

jeep-joint

You know I was hoping to get some real insight into the reasons why some go with steel and other go with fiberglass. I know there are other influences to be considered that some of you have dealt with that I haven't considered.

For those of you that offered real insight, thank you.

18. henry29

henry29

Need a little more info, are both just bare bodies?, is the A rusty?, is it a real roadster?

I would build the A myself though, just don't care for glass cars.

19. GlenC

GlenC

Here's a couple of self-answering ones for you...

What's the weather like in your home town? Hot? Cold? Wet? Windy?

How are your metal-working skills? Are you going to be more comfortable, (and able) working on a new fibreglass body or an 80 year old steel one?

Is anyone else going to be riding with you, girl/wife, kids, grandkids?

Personally, I live in SOCAL style weather, and I'd love a roadster, but with my dear wifey and undoubtably a grandchild or two tagging along with me when I go for a drive, whatever I end up building will have to be closed, and possibly even a sedan of some sort.

I also don;t have the metal working skills to be able to repair 70 or 80 years of rust and dings, so my 'bucket list' cars include a steel late 40's sedan, preferrably an older restoration, as a 'family' rod or a 'new' glass T roadster, just for me.

Good luck, I hope that helps,

Cheers, Glen.

20. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Man you need to take a pill or something. You sound really angry !

21. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

No, my reply was not written in anger. I simply suggested that anyone who has the desire to build a car should build what they want. There is such a difference between a coupe and a roadster that it is literally impossible to say which one he, or anyone, should build and end up driving. This is a very personal choice and doing what others think he should do should not be part of the equation. If you, or the OP, is offended by my reply, I deeply regret it. Tone of voice is absent from written words. That seems to be the most critical part of many opinions posted here.
    Now, let's all go out for ice cream! (smiling)

22. jeep-joint

jeep-joint

You all are correct and I apologize for being angry about the flippant responses. I have been agonizing over this project way too much because
    I am anxious to do another project and I would like it to be a traditional type car.

The roadster is still on the crate. It has real appeal and will probably have better resale value at some point in the future.

The glass coupe is new from the manufacture as well. I feel that glass cars have just about saturated the market. I've talked to several manufacturers within 700 miles of home and to a person they all tell the same story.

The owners are in their 60's -70's. Their business has slowed, they can't get good help and they all are tired. Some of the businesses are for sale.

Getting back to the story. I really like the looks of the '32 coupe, but I can't afford a steel body. The roadster is steel and about half the price of a steel coupe.

Looks like I may have made a decision. To get a glass car that is as straight as the steel would be hard to do. I believe the steel car will hold its value better than the glass.

Looks like the roadster is the best deal for me personally.

Thanks for letting me ramble on and for your candid opinions.

23. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Jeep power,no top needed. :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. banginona40

banginona40

I'm not really a roadster guy but I prefer the idea of a steel car. That being said, a fiberglass ford '32 would be well worth considering. But, I think the steel roadster and the Flathead make a better combination.

25. 5window

5window

This, too stupid, too politcal, just dumb.

OP: also stupid. What do YOU like? What's your budget? A's are cheaper to build. I don't agree steel's easier to work with-depends on your skill set. Asking a question like yours will get you varied opinions,but no answer. Why stir the wrath of the HAMB?

26. jeep-joint

jeep-joint

Both are bare bodies. The A is a real steel reproduction roadster, no rust.
    I'm sure time will reveal which direction to go. Thanks for asking.

27. badshifter

badshifter

Buy a Corvette convertible. Problem solved.
    Next.

28. J-J,

Both are repros, I would look at them real close and see which one is the best repro if I was trying to decide.

For me it is a sort of a non-issue. While roadsters are not my favorite body style (grew up in San Francisco in a roadster) I really don't care for deuces. So I would lean toward the roadster. It is a personal thing for me and my opinions are a driving force in my life.

Something else to consider here is that most glass street bodies are really heavy, you are using a 100-150 horse motor to push it around. So weight is going to be a concern I would think when you are making your decision. There should be a shipping weight on both so it should be farley simple to figure out which one weighs the most. Remember on a 100 horse motor a hundred pounds can be a real deal breaker.

The end of the day you are the one traveling around in it. look at pictures of both and see which one makes you giggle. that is the one you should build.

29. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

I say sell both of those fakes and buy a REAL car