Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. jfrolka

jfrolka

I will drop a pic on here sunday of them on the 48 f1 with the 57 lincoln caps on.... it looks great

2. fleet-master

fleet-master

guess the style of hose clamps don't matter if the hood is always shut huh......? :rolleyes: sorry to crash the thread..:):)

3. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Talk to JeffSled about hose clamps, I know he's using some modern 'streetrod' ones right now ;) :p :D

Geez Jeff have you switched those over yet??

4. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

Okay about the Tires again, it seem like we have these tires to Choose from

SuperCushions: only available in 15", so they must be after the war 48-49

BF Goodrich

Denman

Firestone Champion

general

Lester

Bf Goodrich all Weather

Is the rest of them available before and after the War

I am choosing tires and if anyone have some info, that could be fun to know

Attached Files:

5. Real Customs ran US Royals. ;)

6. Kopperhead

Kopperhead

This Ad is from a Swedish magazine in June 1950

Attached Files:

7. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

DKroadsters, I would go with the Ford Script 6.00 16's

[​IMG]

8. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

Thanks Streamliner, thats a huge 1200$, if i go for the double White on the front and normal on the rear, but i will considering them

The history is important and if someone have information, that would be cool for all of us

9. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Here's one for you guys, I am hoping to run the stock 700x16 tyres on the zephyr. What kind of a choice is out there in this size ? I really want to run a 4" whitewall if possible or as close to it.

Paul.

10. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Like I said, pictured and wrote before...
    Ford script 6.00x16"...

11. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I like the way a 600x16 tire looks....running them on my Victoria.

13. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Unfortunately, they are not available in 6.50-16". Would maybe be even better on the Merc. The 1939-40 Mercury were available with that tire size as an option.

US Royal is a classic tire, but I don't know if they exist in these sizes anymore?

14. Haha !:D I love em so much now im trying to just camoflauge them in with my steel braided lines.

15. resto-rodder

resto-rodder

I always like the look of bias ply tires. I run them on my '32 and '49 Merc and they work fine.

16. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

No need for double sided whitewall, I think.

Considering that the wheels (tire and rim/hubcap) and their placement in the wheel wells is about 75% of a car's overall look, I think $1100 is a pretty good investment. :)

It's not a small detail. It is one of the major corner stones in a well designed car build. No matter if it is a modern Need for speed-car or a traditional kustom. The wheels and their position makes the look.

When I was building my 1940 Merc, I was looking all over the place to find out where I could get those tires that I saw on the Matranga car. Coker didn't have them and I was calling shops in the US to get them to send me pics of their tires and how they looked. It was fantastic to get a pic faxed to me. You know the quality of a fax, ha ha... All black...

Finally found them on Kelsey tires and was very lucky!

Probably much easier for someone living in USA, but for me over in Sweden it was a huge score. Especially for two tire-nerds like me and Wolf. Now the internet and all info is much easier to access and even if this was only 10 years ago, it was a completely new world...

17. roddinron

roddinron

No offense to anyone, but when did this great thread titled "1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms" turn into a tire thread? While there is some great info being shared, I think there are already a lot of tire threads where this info could be better shared without muddying up this one. It gets a little frustrating sometimes having to read through a bunch of public posted private messages trying to find posts that are actually on subject. Again, no offense intended.

18. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Yes, I understand that it can get a bit nerdy sometimes. :D
    I do however think that it is one of the more important subjects concerning this type of style and too many people do not understand this. If you have the wrong tires, you can ruin a nice car instantly. Sometimes this kustom thread is the only place to find really interested people that actually care what tires you are running on a new traditional build. And therefore can discuss it.

But back on track with some pics. This thread is dedicated to the NEW built cars in this particular style. The pics of old original kustoms is for inspiration only.

The car below is Buster Littons fantastic Panoramic Ford.
    [​IMG]

The one below is my friend Andreas version of it and it will finally get glossy paint this spring. I am REALLY looking forward to it. And yes, I know it is rolling in to 1953-style... :D
    [​IMG]

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

love that car.....cant wait to see paint

20. Stoker32

Stoker32
    from so cal

Our 35 Roadster. Built in 1950

Attached Files:

21. uploadfromtaptalk1353373352952.jpg

Out for quick cruise (10 mins from the house John ;) ) actually just around the block.Trying to learn how this app works.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

22. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Man your Merc is gorgeous!

I love that picture.

23. J.B. I love the pics of Busters Ford that you posted and your friends car looks great.What is so cool about those pictures is that they were takin at the L.B. Marine Stadium for the boat races.I love going to watch the races there every summer.Place is historical.

Aaron...thanks for the compliment.

24. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

No offense taken Ron, but I don't feel it's muddying it up at all. Tires can absolutely make or break an early style custom. This thread isn't just about pictures of cars. It's in my opinion one of the most important custom threads on the HAMB because it's hugely educational to people who are unaware of the details that make a car of this era "legit". I've actually been happy with this thread lately because Im absolutely obsessed with correct tires for customs and hot rods!

25. Exactly I think it has actually improved the thread and made it much more informative.

26. fleet-master

fleet-master

absolutely Sledge!! I've been quite interested in the discussion on correct tyres too.....tyres are critical,as are the wheel caps, paint choice,stance,bumpers....etc,etc....but still no ones been able to tell me what hose clamps were used back then!!! Doesn't anyone know?? :p:D

I'm pretty sure they had the old 'canvas wrapped' style of hoses , cloth wrapped wiring looms and such..but maybe the hose clamps don't matter a fuck?

heres a pic again of the sprung wire type clamp I'm curious about.Please don't take offense anyone...I just thought this thread was a good place to ask my question. PB

Attached Files:

27. I agree with what a lot of people already mentioned,I think the details of these Customs are just fine to talk about on this thread.There really isn't nowhere else to go.I also agree that tires are a MAJOR part of the look.Tires go right along with the stance,they go together in my opinion.

28. Squablow

Squablow

Alright Fleet Master,

I can't say for sure what hose clamps were used on customs specifically, but I've parted out hundreds of cars from the era. The ones that had original hoses in place seemed to use a type that was a steel band around the hose with a captured nut and a bolt at the top to pinch it together. I'm sure I have at least one on a shelf somewhere if you want me to take a picture.

I've only seen the wire clamp style that you have pictured on heater hoses, not on the big radiator hoses, although it's possible some were made in that size.

There's actually a really good Wikipedia page on hose clamps that talks about their history and has a link at the bottom showing a 1944 Popular Mechanics article about worm drive clamps, which apparently were available by that time and invented in 1921.

29. I know what you are asking fleet-master, it's the details that can make a difference in your kemp. The spring clamp you pictured is the same as my '63 Corvette uses and I am not sure when they began to appear, but as Squablow mentions I think the style you are after for this era is the "split band" style. I found this image of a restored '47 which uses the same clamp as I have seen on old photos of the very first flatheads.

[​IMG]

I also found this image of a '51 cutaway which shows the same style clamp:

[​IMG]

This won't help with other hose clamps, but it's a start.

Dave

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  30. Thanks to everyone regarding the tire business too. All this information will help me with the re-do of my Merc when the time comes. This stuff is a bit off topic, but pertains to the correctness of the style and era and I want to get there.

Dave