Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 51 Plymouth Cranbrook Student build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bonneville High School, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

So I thought that I would get started now on the postings of the project. The school was donated a great car a 1951 Plymouth Cranbrook by, theearl85. So the students were put to task on coming up with a design. Out of the 187 entrees I picked a few (mostly at random)to share with you all, we have striped the car and now pulling all the molding off, plan to get to the cutting after Thanks giving Break.. :D Man do I love teaching old skills plus I love having a bigger garage to work in. I will post some photo of the car tomorrow, forgot the batteries to the camera.

Please view the photos and tell me which one you like.
    http://www.polleverywhere.com/Bonneville

Shop Teacher.
    <SCRIPT language=javascript src="<a href=" href="http://www.polleverywhere.com" target="_blank" LTkyNjc2NjkzNw www.polleverywhere.com http: chart_widget.js?height='250&results_count_format=percent&width=300"' polls>http://www.polleverywhere.com/polls/LTkyNjc2NjkzNw/chart_widget.js?height=250&results_count_format=percent&width=300" type="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT language=javascript src="<a href=" href="http://www.polleverywhere.com" target="_blank" web.js?height='250&results_count_format=percent&width=300"' LTkyNjc2NjkzNw multiple_choice_polls www.polleverywhere.com http:>http://www.polleverywhere.com/multiple_choice_polls/LTkyNjc2NjkzNw/web.js?height=250&results_count_format=percent&width=300" type="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT language=javascript src="<a href=" href="http://www.polleverywhere.com" target="_blank" web.js?height='250&results_count_format=percent&width=300"' LTkyNjc2NjkzNw multiple_choice_polls www.polleverywhere.com http:>http://www.polleverywhere.com/multiple_choice_polls/LTkyNjc2NjkzNw/web.js?height=250&results_count_format=percent&width=300" type="text/javascript"></SCRIPT><O:p</O:p

Attached Files:

• 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      456.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpeg
      2.jpeg
      File size:
      422.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpeg
      3.jpeg
      File size:
      458.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      474.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      260.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpeg
      6.jpeg
      File size:
      440.9 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpeg
      7.jpeg
      File size:
      337 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpeg
      8.jpeg
      File size:
      311.7 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpeg
      9.jpeg
      File size:
      256.8 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      321.8 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpeg
      11.jpeg
      File size:
      300.7 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      297.4 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      251.7 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      247.6 KB
      Views:
  2. I like the top center sketch. This should be a good thread to follow.

3. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I lie the idea that "less is more" with these types of cars. Good, solid color paint job, shave the door handles, lower it, put some skirts on it if you want, wide whites and some traditional wheels/hub caps and put the "pizzaz" in a traditional, eye catching interior. Good luck

4. Remember,,the Hamb is a traditional hot rod site,we don't care for the rat rod mentality nor the style.

Your profile says,,,The goal is to build three rat rods for the high school to run in the parades and to show off at the car shows.
    1) 1951 4 door Cranbrook = convert to a two door and chop 3 inches and angle the back window forward

If you are in the position of having the kids to look to you for guidance teach them the right way and don't go for shock value.

You can use the Cranbrook to build a simple useable car and not go so overboard trying to create a James Bond clown car,,if you inspire them with something they can finish during the school year they will be more motivated.

Of course,,this is just the opinion of a old greybeard,,you can take it with a grain of salt,but I'm sure a few guys & gals here will agree with me. HRP

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012

5. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Geezzzzz HRP. Let them build the damn car. If you dont like it, look somewhere else. Its a shame that someone has to start bitching by the 4th post.

6. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

Thank you... keep going to the link to vote on the best car design

7. No, he's right. Good on the OP for starting the project, but why not take the long view and teach his students the old values along with "old skills". And yes, I've been there, done that; and it IS possible to get the point across.

8. Listen TR Waters,,,Since when is constructive criticism considered bitching ,if you think this is bitching you don't know me or the hamb!:mad:

Again,,,this site ain't about rat rods! HRP

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  9. SChotrod

SChotrod

Shop teacher good for you to do this with the students. My most influential teacher was my high school automotive technology teacher.

10. murfman

murfman

I like the top right and top center myself.

HRP I think they should build whatever inspires them, no rules that is what attracted many of us in the beginning, PERSONALIZING a car, if they make it the way YOU want it really is not personalizing it to them. Whatever floats their boat. They need to be inspired into the auto hobby, not scared away by more rules.

11. theearl85

theearl85

We were so sad to see the Mistress leave the shop but so glad to see it go into good hands. And I've seen plenty of rats on this site. And isn't "the old way" the beginning of the story of rats? The old timers would pick up a car for $50 and get the old girl on the road as soon as they could, right? Paint, upholstery, he'll glass didn't matter. As long as she drove. No one here can afford to restore, especially a high school. Shit, most schools can barely afford books. I'm glad to see a teacher doing this. I would have killed for it in high school. Most kids are all about new cars. I'd think most of these guys here would be excited to see the next generation continuing this love and amazing hobby. I say, let the man build what he wants and what the kids want. It's all about doing what you love, right? Let them the the Cranbrook and bring her back to life.

12. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

I understand the need for a traditional hot rod, but we were all like punks (ok maybe it was just me), when we started cutting cars and putting large engine into whatever rust bucket we could afford in high school, all to racing on Friday nights and to get the girls attention, maybe not in that order....

To me a hot rod and a rat rod are both from the same cloth.

I don’t not want to argue, I just sharing my thoughts…

A grey beard is not only good for keeping the sparks out the shirt but it a great way to save food for later.

13. I 100% agree with Danny. You can build a lower budget car well without resorting to turning it into a piece of junk.

I was around a few years ago myself, and I don't remember seeing one car that would be considered a, shhh, RR. Various stages of completion maybe, but there was some pride involved and most of the cars I remember, maybe lacked finished paint, but were well on the way to having the body in order.

I just don't get the pride in building a POS!

14. murfman

murfman

Than you need to go look closer. I enjoy checking out the details on RRs. I'm not saying I like all of them, but I've seen cars that look ratty that are better overall than some earl scheib painted POS traditional hot rods.

There are plenty of RRs that have a lot of pride in building them. As a matter of fact the ones I've seen locally are mostly home built, not built by a high end shop for guys that barely know which end of the key goes in the ignition. I'm not saying there isn't a place for them. But I prefer an imperfect home built car over a megabucks car the owner knows little about

15. Good work you are doing there for the students! Wish I had you for a shop teacher (and I had a great teachers!) way, way back when. Keep us posted!!!

16. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

17. redeyewelder

redeyewelder
    from ten

yes ,,,great idea..... and i think i have the whole "rat" thing figured out.....

if the owner refers to his "thing/car/truck" as a rat r#% then its prob. sum art deco p.o.s.......with any thing he found at a antique store or out back tack welded to it....

but ,,if you call a guys car a "rat" and he gets fighting mad,, then its prob. just an unfinished hotrod....;-)

18. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

19. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

Here some of the photo of the car in the shop

Attached Files:

20. I'll donate a good solid spare tire well we cut out of mine when we changed the rear suspension. Let me know if you want it.

I have a few other 51 trim and interior things as well. Post what you need and maybe some of us can hook you up with some parts.

21. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

I'll put in my opinion! You can build a very sweet car without getting to radical. Since your teaching these kids skills, its best to keep it down to earth. If its a 4 door and you want to show them how to make it a 2 door, this can be a major under taking. At the same time a top chop but don't go to radical with the chop top, because it throws off the proprotions of the car if you don't change otherthings like a section job. This is if you want to build a custom.
    Some of your kids pictures show gasser style, or just hotrod style.
    Anyone can build a Ratr?? by just throwing things together and I think that, that theme is not showing true skill. I will be following this thread because it sounds like it could be a lot of fun to teach thoses kids to use their heads and come up with a true
    piece of art.

22. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=66060

All kinds o great ideas here. I've spent quiet a bit of time thinking about chops on these cars and I think the proportions look best with straight vertical B-pillars and no extra slant to the rear window. This means sectioning and stretch the roof which is a hell of a job, but the best look IMO.

23. redeyewelder

redeyewelder
    from ten

i have a thread in the works for chopping 4 doors... they are a little harder to get right.... but i have sum tricks:D

24. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

what are some tricks? Photos please...

25. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

I scaned this in , its a 1950 Ply. with mouldings removed. the shape is close to the 51. Maybe it will help, you can copy it and cut it to see how it changes it. Hope that it helps. No. 6 is a nice one but i think that it will be hard to transform a four door into it. Good Luck!!:cool::cool:

26. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

:confused:well for some reason the clip art will not load. if you would like it , PM me and I will E-mail it to You.

27. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

Thursday is the night I teach the extra stuff, because there is so much in the curriculum and auto body is not one of them, so I stay after school on Thursday to teach all the extra stuff and leave the lab open to other students projects&#8230; so last night I was talking about lines and how to set a flow on a car so that don&#8217;t get a dip or a bubble when you lean the windows in, or when you, roll the pillars inwards to match up with top. Here is some photo of the tape line

Attached Files:

28. redeyewelder

redeyewelder
    from ten

i dont want to over step,,,but please dont straight chop that car.....please.... i always do more in the back... 3.5 front 5back... or for more extreme,,,4.5 frnt 6 back... that car has a hard crown,,your gonna hafta take it out..and maby lift the back glass a lil as you lean it forwards...

29. Muffin

Muffin
    from Layton, UT

I think this is a great idea. Not only is it going to introduce the kids to hotroding, it will give some of them something to do with all that "getting into trouble" free time we all had in high school. Lord only knows my friends and I could of used a after school project like this! Keep us updated!

30. 50merckid

50merckid

i like # 6. Great job keeping the old skills a live. You sound like an awesome teacher.