Register now to get rid of these ads!

110 V wire feed welder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coach529, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Coach529

Coach529

I am shopping for a 110V wire feed welder for at home and work use.

We have went through a couple cheaper Lincoln units and have not been overly impressed, but some of my guys are hard on stuff.

We have a Miller 252 for welding big stuff in our fab shop. I need something small to use around the jobsite, and to drag home if I needto weld stuff there.

Budget is under $1000.......

Thanks guys!!

2. Millermatic 140, if you don't like the Auto-Set feature find a used Millermatic 135, TR

BTW, I used my MM135 for 4 years and sold it for what I paid for it new.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  3. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

Go blue... I love mine. Had it for twenty years and it is stilll going great.

4. Should be able to take your pick for that money. I bought a Clarke 130 at ACE for around $350.00. It does a nice job on up to 1/4 inch thick steel, and I've welded stainless with it. I've had it for 5 years but it's not used on an every day basis, just for my home shop.

5. maybelene

maybelene

Hobart handler 140 has worked good for me but I think they are made by Miller now. Mine even has a Miller electrode on it. Works with gas and has held up well.

6. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

Another vote for handler 140, Had mine for years and love it.

7. x3 on the Handler 140

8. gsport

gsport

for less than $1,000 you could get a new miller 211, 110 or 220 volts.. i got mine through Airgas for $877.00 and couldn't be happier
    wow, i was just in Airgas yesterday and saw that the 211 is now priced over $1100. i guess everything just keeps going up. i bought mine almost 3 years ago..

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  9. I have a Hobart Handler 135 that I have been using for more than a decade and cannot complain. I am not sure how it would hold up to priduction work, but for a home welder and sheet metal work it does a good job.

10. I have a Century 80GL, that was made by Lincoln, that's o.k. for light stuff. Bought it back in '07. My next purchase will be a Handler 140. If you're using it alot go with the Millermatic...

11. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Get the Miller Autoset 140. Love this machine.

Infinate variable voltage.

Nuf said

Rob

12. Squablow

Squablow

I've used those Miller 140's and have been very pleased with them, real easy to use. My personal welder is a Lincoln SP-100 and I like it also, have had it since high school and haven't found anything automotive related that I couldn't do with it. Mostly I do sheetmetal work and it's been great for that. They're a bit cheaper than the Miller.

13. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Hobart handler 140 here too! Bought mine from tractor supply . I've been using it for over 4 years and still goin . It's a very good welder for the price.

14. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a Miller 211 last year and I love it. Even though I own a shop full of bigger machines I find that I use the 211 more than any of the others as its light, easy to move around, easy to setup and will work off a small generator or plug into a household cord. When a longer duty cycle or bigger material is welded it only takes a couple of seconds to swap to the 220 plug.

15. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

Another vote for the Miller 211, runs off 110 or 220. Welds well on both inputs. Excellent machine that I wasn't sure I would like, ended up loving it.

I have a Miller 350P, Miller 212, lincoln 455 with programable feeder and a Lincoln Precision TIG 275.

I find myself using the little Miller 211 most of the time. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. Can be had for around $1k, best deal going!

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long with you stick with Miller, Hobart or Lincoln I don't see a problem. You can get parts and service for any one of them at most good welding supply stores.

Here locally one welding supply sells Lincoln one sells Lincoln and the local farm and ranch store sells Hobart. I'd buy from the welding supply that has the best service department. Sooner or later they all need to be taken in for service and being able to get parts and service counts pretty high.

Don't pass up a good low hour used unit either. I got my Lincoln 175 for a great price from a guy who bought it, used it for a short while and decided he wanted to upgrade when he started a shop where he was doing production work. My son who is a welder looked at it and thought it was a new out of the box unit.

17. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

ME TOO!
    I bought mine used. It's idiot proof and I'm living proof. I'm an idiot when it comes to welding and I've managed to make decent welds with it. I paid $400 used.

18. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I have a question for you Hobart 140 owners. How do you run .023 wire in it? The specs say it can but the drive roller is for .030-.035 wire. The only other drive roller I see avail. says .024-.035:

http://store.cyberweld.com/hodrro0vsmso.html

Will that drive feed .023 or should I just go with .024 wire?

19. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

I still have and use my Hobart 120 and When I needed to replace the whole faceplate and both controls due to a transporting mishap, all the parts were still available. Including the faceplate. Still amazed. this welder is about 25 years old.

20. Beau

Beau

I have a Hobart 135. Something in the boards goes out often. Mine is "always on" even with the switch off. It still welds, but there is always power going to the wire.

I just picked up a Miller DVI though. It's quite a bit larger, but it can plug into 120 or 220 just by switching the plug. I love it. But it's not as portable as the Hobart.

21. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

The rollers in my Hobart say .024 but
    I was told that .023 wire works with the same .024 roller.
    Seems like if I remember, I didn't want to believe that and went looking for .024 wire but was never able to find it. Same with the tips for my gun.
    Everything always says .023 and I've now been using .023 wire, and tips with those .024 rollers for like 20 years without a problem.
    -Steve

22. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Miller 211 or the Miller 140 if you want something smaller. The 211 is great because you can run it off 220v at the shop and switch it to 110v if needed for home use.

23. worken2much

worken2much

I had a Lincoln 110v welder. I liked the handle on the top. It was big enough for two hands. Made it easy to throw the turd further when I got pissed off at it. Sat for 2 weeks once waiting for cheap plastic wire feed roller parts. I made my own steel ones in the interim. Needless to say, it was my first & last Lincoln wire welder. It wasn't an inexpensive, bottom of the market machine either. I've never been more dissapointed in an equipment / tool purchase ever.

I have a Hobart 220v. Maknes me smile EVERY time I use it. Millers that I have used are top notch too.

Worken2much

24. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have a Lincoln 100 HD with 75/25 argon mix and been using it for about 6 years now . When you buy a smaller 110v welder pay the extra price for the gauges .
    I do all my sheet metal welding with this welder and is a great welder ! Does very nice welds with no complaints . I have used it to weld thicker metal than the 18ga. sheet metal but I wouldn't be welding car frames up with it . :eek:
    Has never caused me any problems and is very portable as well . I have taken my Lincoln to other peoples houses & garages to do welding for them . One very nice thing about a 110v welder is , no matter where you go to weld , you always have 110v to use .
    Now as for brands , Lincoln , Miller , Hobart , they are all good welders to use ! Just stay away from the really cheap shit from china and you will be fine .
    One more thing , Miller DOESN'T make Hobart welders ! They just sell they !
    If I was going to buy a new welder and can afford anything out there that's made , I would buy another Lincoln welder !
    I have also seen many good used welders on C/L too . For the 3 welders that I have mentioned , you can get parts for any of them and they are all good welders .
    It's just like what brand of cars we have , everyone has their brand favorite . Same goes with welder too . :cool:

Retro Jim

25. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Thanks Steve. I called Hobarts tech line this morning and they said exactly what you stated above. I've got the new drive roller on the way.

It sure would be less confusing if they just said their drive roler was for .023 and not .024.

26. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Just curious what Lincoln welder you had ? I have owed mine for about 6 years and mine came with a METAL roller wire feed parts . Not sure why yours didn't have them too . Can't see how plastic would last 5 mins trying to feed wire for a welder .
    Just asking .

Retro Jim

27. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Hobart handler 140 ive drug it all over still working great 6 years got it new at tractor supply only things that have happened are a drive wheel wore out and a friend shut it in his car door so i had to redo the gun liner

28. churchboy

churchboy

I bought my Miller Sidekick new in 1990. The only thing thats been done to it is a new liner that was put in earlier in the year, and lots and lots of wire. You can't go wrong with Blue.....

29. slowmotion

slowmotion

Red, blue, or gray, pic one of the big 3, and you're good to go. Everyone has their preferences. But as in other things, it's more the artist, than the brush. My oldest, who makes his living in the trade, has a red one. (He's color blind, btw :rolleyes:)

30. Coach529

Coach529

I ended up with a Miller 140 autoset. Got it locally because of support and the price was good.

Used it today and it works really well. I welded up a cart to lug it around the plant I work at but still not be a burden to toss in a pickup single handed.

The T handle on the front slids out to make it easy to pull behind ya, like a suit case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]