Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1951 F-1 (project flat-rod) begins!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trey_Morgan, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Trey_Morgan

Trey_Morgan

Hello, I'm both young and new to the site I'm starting this build with a what i would call decent starting point. The 51' i picked up was complete and original with the 8ba flat head and all (hence the name) i plan to slam it and keep to traditional rod styling while staying on the budget of a 22 year old enthusiast. Here is what i picked up last weekend.
    [​IMG]

I've managed between work and honey do's to clean the wheels and strip the old nasty wood planks from the bed so as of today it sits like;

[​IMG]

This weekend i plan on pulling the bed and cleaning the frame/differential and also pulling a few leafs from the pack. I'll snap plenty of photo's!

2. Looks like a good start, good luck!

3. Trey_Morgan

Trey_Morgan

4. goodgarb

goodgarb
    from TACOMA,WA

:DLooks like a very clean starter truck! I like that body style

5. conormulroney

conormulroney

Trucks are a great starting point; simple and fun. And it looks like you have a very nice one to start with. Enjoy the build.

6. Looks like a good solid base. Always good to see another F-1 build.

7. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

8. Nice start! Keep it running and driving while you work on it, if you can. I tore mine all apart and it took way to many years to get it back together....

9. ardyboy

ardyboy

ya got a great piece to start with. My son and I are just starting on his 55 F100. With a lot less of a starting point.

10. Whats really cool is you have the spare tire well and bracket. Most people disposed of them.
    I hope you keep it!

11. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

I second this. Keep it running and work on it. Then pull it off the road to do the frame and cab restoration and detail work. A couple years of enjoyment will keep you motivated while it's down. ...at least this has been the case for me and my 3100.

12. Trey_Morgan

Trey_Morgan

Thanks guys! I want to keep it drivable as long as possible but there is some things you just have to go out of commission for! The spare tire rack is ugly imo but ive been thinking of going to old speed shop hot rod rout so I'm trying to think up a few ideas on how to keep and use it.

13. Trey_Morgan

Trey_Morgan

I did as much work as i could between the wind and rain this weekend but i feel like i got quite a bit done. I pulled the bed off and spend all day cleaning 60 years of dirt and debris off the differential housing and frame. Here are some pictures of the work!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Check my thread on my 52' if your looking for any lowering ideas..