Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 "style" customs with modern suspensions and drivelines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cafone, Oct 14, 2012.

1. my car fits this thread pretty well. it is currently for sale in the classifieds.

motor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yes it does.....this is what I was looking for.

3. John, you don't have to make any excuses.....your car came so far from where you started. a couple more small details and it's a beautiful sled that you can drive anywhere. keep heading in that direction.....

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

Both of you and Ian guys have great trucks, not enough trucks seem to get built with a traditional custom vibe kudos to you two !

5. His truck is cool, but not exactly where i was heading with this thread....

My son Nico is building a '56 Ford pick up on a '87 Alfa Romeo Milano chassis. It's a 2.5 leter overhead cam with a tranaxle in the back. the cab is narrowed 5", chopped 5" and sectioned 5", it's under 60" tall. his plan it to make a little panel out of it. he's also workng on a '64 caddy coupe traditional mild custom and a '64 t-bird coupe, he cut the roof off of it and built a speedster cover out of another deck lid. welded the doors to the fenders and quarters. with canted quad headlights and a '58 caddy grill....I wish I was 20 years old again and could juggle three or four projects at the same time....

6. deto

deto

pro stock john, I feel ya on the spider caps. I have them on mine because I have the chrome uni lug wheels, and it helps distract from the extra holes.

I also realize this thread has gotten a little off topic with some of the cars but I have all the parts to make my ride more of a sled. Raised up 2" in the front lowered 3" in the rear, 670-15s, Desoto caps. what do you guys think?

<a href="http://s1028.beta.photobucket.com/user/kreepyratz/library/" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. Really? I'm thinking that truck does fit. The conversion is more extreme, but it still somewhat traditional on the outside.

Love the gold engine, that's exactly the plan I have for my car.

8. this is a perfect example of where I wanted this thread to go. Your car is killer, THANKS!!!

9. Your car fits for sure it has the look and I have NO problem with a half a block burnout with a 308 gear.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  10. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Deto, I like the looks of your car a lot better with its new stance and whatnot. I could see it being a couple inches lower in the rear, but maybe not. The wider whitewalls will be the icing on the cake.

I remember we had the same problem with the wide camaro clip when I had my 51 Pontiac. I always wanted the narrow control arms but couldn't afford them.

11. deto

deto

I agree. I want it lower in the rear but I really need to notch it. And if I do that I want to do truck arm rear and if I do that I want to go to a 9 inch... $3000 for 3 inches. Only slightly cheaper than a dick extension.

I agree with the www. I used those for reference since my friend had them lying around

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. John, the chevy truck on the nissan frame? It is cool but dose'nt have the body mods of a car from this era. it's more like a resto mod....stock body on a new chassis. I was shooting for cars with more custom body work in the style of Westergard, Bertolucci, the Ayala and Barris brothers early cars. Packard, LaSalle, early Lincoln or Caddy grills. Filled hoods and decklids welded seams, full fadeaways, carson tops......

13. Thanks man. I hope it goes to a new home that will finish it off and just destroy it.

14. deto

deto

any body else?

15. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

my old 51 Pontiac fits in here. It was a 305/t350, camaro clip (too wide), and a monte carlo rear end. All the body mods were pre 53, except for the fact that I didnt nose and deck it.

[​IMG]

16. Aaron why did you get rid of the Pontiac? It was nice.

P.S. Did you ever get your appletons mounted?

17. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Glen, Why you selling?
    Got an eye for something else?

18. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Just got bored with it. I've always wanted a 40s car with full fenders.

I haven't gotten them mounted yet, I still need to weld up the 1/2 inch holes I drilled the first time. I got in a small accident so my attention has been put towards straightening out the fender/rocker that got pushed in.

19. Cool.

Haha I hear you on welding up holes from failed appleton mounts. I have done it twice so far. Maybe third time will be the charm.:rolleyes::D

20. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

& thank you

And in keeping with the title of the thread - I'll fill in some details on the modern stuff hiding underneath the old stuff:
    383 stroker, SR Torquer heads, 700R4, triangulated 4-link, 9 inch with Auburn limited slip / 31 spline, Accuair, Heidt's A-arms in custom crossmember, custom sway bars, aluminum driveline, Wilwood 4 wheel disc brakes, and even A/C!
    It drives and handles nice & I can cruise 80 mph on the interstate @ barely 2k rpm thanks to a very tall overdrive.

But honestly, if I was starting the build all over again, I would go with a more vintage chassis/drivetrain.

21. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

This is my 49 Fleetline. Has an MII front suspension, 68 Camaro rear end, truck LS 5.3 with efi, 4L60e, and a GPS speedo!! I have a nice set of skirts, but between the width of the rear wheels and tires that I put on, the skirts won't fit. At this point, I'm too cheap to replace perfectly good tires with my desired narrower-sized whites and narrower wheels. That will come in time ... it's all a process, isn't it. Oh, I also am working up a grill from a 50 ... not quite so busy as the 49 version. And it's never going to be a tail-dragger ... where I lived back in the 50's that just wasn't something you'd do ... although I am stretching it a bit with the skirts. And back then I'd likely also run Fiestas or Lancers, when they could be found. :D

Attached Files:

22. BAD ASS SLED......I've been going back to your photo all day.....stunning

23. Cruiser

Cruiser

[​IMG]

Cafone my friend cool idea for a new thread, I'm from the same school as you. I have always believed that a true custom guy will use parts from many sources new and old. This is my '52 Chevy fleetline in the paint shop getting it's new look. It has a HP '69 Chevy engine, 350 tranny and a ten bolt, Mustang suspension Chevy rear end. I'm putting it together as a dependable cruiser.

CRUISER:cool:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  24. Cruiser, hey man been looking for some updates on the Devil's site. Looks like you'll be back on the street soon. Keep us posted.

25. Cleatus i am selling to get caught up on some bills. Hopefully I can swing another car as well. Have seen you around in a while how have you been?

26. redeyewelder

redeyewelder
    from ten

its a 48 ford..on the nissan truck,firewall,,floorpans and all..,,not just frame...4cyl auto with cruise,ac,ipod gps,,efi @32mpg, and air ride...but all well hidden... and paint was just left alone,,not fo-finnished..like a crappy rat rod... perfect look for a shop truck...sorry its not flat black with red wheels..and a sbc and comaro clip thats too wide...

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

What Cafone is telling you(but you arent hearing) is the truck is cool, but its not a 48-52 ish traditional "custom", visually its bone stock just slammed...I sure wouldnt mind having it in my driveway though :D I bet its a blast..is it 2wd or?

28. Yeah I got what Cafone was saying now.

29. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Mine has a Current Performance harness ...Modified stock fuel tank with Bosch intank fuel pump (part no. 67452) and sending unit ... uses return line into top of the pump.<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->