Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 F1 rattle can rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. F.B. friend just posted this, you mentioned doing a Chev truck.
    Taking offers, Cash/Trade/Both? early GM pickup? Bike?
    51 GMC COE Dumpbed, Runs, drives, 12volt, Vin verified and comes with California title and current registration, Ask any question ?? Message me any offers or email ( [email protected] )

:cool: Cheers
    Zot.

2. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Wow, just read this whole thing, lucky you've got photo's or we'd think you were makin the whole thing up lol. Glad you landed on your feet now forget the daily driver and get that ham can done.

Scotty.

3. Workdragon

Workdragon

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  4. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

5. Got my newer Blazer back on the road (just in time) as the old Blazer blew out the master or slave cylinder for the clutch. Had to drive most the way home from work clutchless, starting the engine in 1st gear at the stops. Gonna fix that tomorrow. Picked up a 'Mighty Vac' to make the fluid bleeding easier.

Here's some more stuff going on in the shop.
    A 1951 Chev Suburban for Chevs of the 40's.

Heidt's front end with shockwaves, 4 link Ford 9" out back with bags.
    Gonna have a new crate engine ZZ4? w/overdrive auto trans.
    Caddy Escalade 3 row seating with upholstery to match.
    Shaved hinges and handles.

DSC06523e.JPG

It'll have a chrome grill and custom chrome bumpers.
    DSC06523b.JPG

I'll get pictures soon of another http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/ project. It's a 1941 Chevy sedan delivery that's been sectioned and chopped. Just came back from having the custom floorpan fabricated for the Corvette ZR1 drivetrain.

How about this 64 Corvette Donk in the shop now.........
    DSC06225h.JPG

Not really a Donk. I was working on the sidemount spare tires for one of the 1931 Chryslers and needed a temporary storage spot. The Vette is an original 365HP car and was pretty nice before restoration began.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  6. 59bullcruiser

59bullcruiser
    from FLORIDA

lol i had the same problem when used a rattle can method on my 59 Ford... the kryponite primer was eating up sand paper like a sandpaper eating monster.

I want to do paint to my straight 6 engine... what rattle brand company did you use? Specific to engine? Did you use an adhesion promoter or primer? Did you clear coat?

LowKat VERY INSPIRATIONAL WRITE UP! cheers

7. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

Love your style..Rattle can it! Yeah...

8. I used engine paint from VHT for the motor. No primer or clear, just paint.

2011 05 02 engine 1.JPG

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

I REALLY want to see the chopped & sectioned sed delivery!

10. gwarren007

gwarren007

11. Going on a 500 mile round trip tomorrow to pick up the 'new' daily driver.

I've had it with computer controlled cars. Last time I did a major tune-up and changed a couple sensors on my newer Blazer, I wanted to set the fugging thing on fire. There's 10 pounds of expensive electronic crap, crammed in a 5 pound size engine compartment with no consideration whatsoever for the mechanic.

Goodbye:
    ECU, PCM, MAF, MILF, TPS, H2O, IAT, IAC, ECT, EGR, CMP, VSS and VCR

Hello:
    SBC 350, Edelbrock RPM heads and carb, Air Gap Intake, HEI, 700r4 trans
    rams horn manifolds with Spintech mufflers, 2-1/2" pipes to outback

Barely HAMB friendly, 1962 Nova 100 series Plain Jane wagon.
    1962 Chevy Nova wagon 01 small.JPG

no carpet, needs front seat upholstered, no rust, older repaint
    nice glass, new windshield, factory power bench seat, remote driver mirror
    gas gauge not working but sending unit tested good. (I have a dash)
    windshield wiper switch needs replaced but wipers work w/toggle switch
    funky B&M floor shifter that will have to go (originally a 3 speed car).
    converted to 5 lug 1966 suspension, rebuilt frontend, power brakes.

I'll sell the F1 and newer 2WD Blazer to finance making the Nova nice.

Probably convert to original Nova SS bucket seats with a console. Then get a new stock style interior kit, headliner, carpeting, weatherstripping, insulation, etc.

I have LOTS of ideas swimming around in my head.
    One involves a Mercruiser motor......

First we'll see how it goes tomorrow. Hope the guy supplied me with an accurate description. He is a Pastor with other 'gearhead' cars so I'm fairly sure I'll be bringing the wagon home.

12. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

What selling the F1 ? I wish I was closer as I would jump at that. F1 and a 4BT Cummins would be the I would get away from all that electronic stuff and fittings.

13. Well, if you need help selling truck - the guys on Ford Trucks dot com buy up F1's pretty quick if priced right. Bummer to see it being sold though it was a great thread.

14. I've almost always sold projects soon after they're finished or more than 75% finished. The F1 is a good truck but it still needs more for me to really like it enough to make it a keeper.

I'm a V8 kinda guy and the 6 banger just isn't doing it. The truck also needs a taller gear or overdrive to be freeway friendly. I have most of the stuff to put a T5 in but lost steam. I'll still be doing a little more work on it before it sells.

The Nova wagon will be fun. It's pretty damn quick, maybe I can make a few runs down the drag strip next summer. It's also the perfect era for my 1961 camp trailer, plus the Nova will tow it uphill easier than the F1.

I'll be doing a budjet build on the wagon over time with maybe the exception of some reproduction seat covers and door panels. I'd like to use SS style bucket seats and console although it does have a kinda rare power bench seat.

1962 Chevy Nova wagon 02 small.JPG 1962 Chevy Nova wagon 05 small.jpg

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looks like a nice little wagon!

16. greaser

greaser

Mark, what a great little wagon! I can't wait to see how you dress up.
    'Krylon King' have at it!

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Looks like this thread will be ending soon and a new Nova Wagon one starting. it has been fun and I'm looking forward to the new one.

18. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Congards on the the Nova. Looks like a sweet ride. But wait till you get your paws on it. will it be another rattle can #2 .. You do great work with very little. Looking forward to seeing what you do. The f1 was great!!:D

19. elsuperchile

elsuperchile
    from Dixon, Ca

Just spent a couple of hours reading this thread, very inspirational, both on the truck and life. I believe in karma as well and doing right, looks like all is going well for you and deservedly so.

20. It's at another shop right now getting the engine setup. I don't get over there often but I will get pictures. Eventually I'll be working on the car. This thing is really low!!
    ------------------------------------------

No better way to make a car look great than take a picture.
    It needs ......stuff.. but was priced right. I've been looking for a while.
    --------------------------------------

Mrs. Lowkat said the same thing and she knows me well. I work for http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/ and can get a discount on parts. I'm also really a Chevy guy so I'll be keeping an eye open for a '48-'54 Chev but would also think about a '59-'59 Apache fleetside. I already have a running 327 engine and T-10 four speed trans.
    -------------------------------------

I worked a little on the Nova. It had a CD player installed but I don't like moden stuff in the dash of an old car so the Nova had a gaping hole once it was pulled. I had a stock Nova faceplate and a 65 Malibu AM radio in the parts stash so they'll get installed. Gonna have to do a little fab work first though.

1962 Chevy Nova wagon 06 snall dash.JPG

Radio 1965 Chevelle 1.JPG

I'm going to pull the 8-track out of the F1 and stick it in the Nova. Also have a large amp to add to the system that wouldn't fit in the pickup.

The Nova has a monster tach mounted under the dash that's gotta go. I have an old 3-1/2" tach in a chrome housing that will probably get mounted on the steering column or dash top.

The car has some kinda cool license plates but I might put a period correct 'Pacific Wonderland' plate on it as they're considered an antique plate and only require a small one time fee for a lifetime registration.
    1962 Chevy Nova wagon 03 small rear view.JPG

Here's an old Oregon PW plate used from 1959-1964.
    [​IMG]

Also thinking about building an engine for the Nova that I've had in the parts stash for at least 30 years. It was supposed to go in a '63 Nova SS I sold 25 years ago. The engine is a 327 with new forged TRW pistons. Crank is a steel 283. Heads are 186 Z-28 castings... Making it a '302' This build would be a ways down the road since the engine in the Nova runs great.

21. Here's a picture of a Polaroid of the 63 SS the '302' engine was supposed to go in. I was the 2nd owner. Original paint, nearly perfect interior, 64K miles with a bad trans.

Friend of mine wouldn't leave me alone until I sold tit to him. A couple weeks later he rented a huge sandblaster and warped every panel on the car. Sat in his barn for 20 years and was finally sold a few years ago for what he paid for it.

Chevy Nova small.JPG

22. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

So you're selling the truck. Dag gone it. But I really like the wagon too. Man if you lived close by I'd want the F-1 big time. Oh well. I really look foward to you getting the wagon built. I'll miss the F-1.

23. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

YOu are right on about trashing the dash and cutting in some abortion, like some tunes it can be hidden. I guess just anal about some things. The clean look straight forward leans less is better.. But what do I know. You will make that ride into a sweet little machine.And as far as freshing up your motor, run until its time...

24. Sorry to hear that the F1 is going away.

But the little wagon looks really cool...I'll be looking for a thread on it.

For what it's worth, I've THOROUGHLY enjoyed this thread.

25. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

LowKat,

The new Nova wagon looks great. Sorry to see the F1 go

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  26. keep the rare power bench seat....that is cool, and different

27. painterdaveee

painterdaveee

Super nice project!And nice hot rod shop too!Thanks for sharing!

28. I'm not ready to sell so haven't thought about price. Probably hang on to it until summer.

The power bench seat is rare/cool but I'm probably going to go with Nova SS style bucket seats for comfort. Maybe the bench seat will finance that purchase. I'm supposed to look at a pair of 64 GTO seats in a couple of weeks which are nearly the same as Nova.

My pleasure. I'll be posting more about the Nova as time goes on.

Had an off topic but pretty cool '39 Chev street rod come into the shop for some small damage repair. SBC 350 crate motor, auto trans, leather interior.

1939 Chevy coupe 1 Xsmall.JPG 1939 Chevy coupe 3 Xsmall.JPG 1939 Chevy coupe 4 Xsmall.JPG

29. I'm looking for a pair of 62-64 Chevy, Impala, Corvette, Nova, Corvair chrome radio knobs like this.
    I have 1965's to trade or will buy.

[​IMG]

30. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

I understand about the F1 and the Blazer, but never get rid of your MILF's, who's gonna ride with ya.

Cool Nova by the way.

scotty