Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 "style" customs with modern suspensions and drivelines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cafone, Oct 14, 2012.

1. HAHA noooo too much time and frustration invested in building this one to change it.:D

2. Ooooh, I wanna play.

[​IMG]

Exterior plans are this:
    51 Buick front bumper
    Chrysler grill
    53 Merc headlight rings
    54 ford front fender lips
    55 Chevy bel air side trim (4 & 2 door)
    51 Cadillac rear bumper
    52 Lincoln taillights
    51 Merc skirts (grafted to quarter)
    51 Pontiac hubcaps

Interior plans:
    49 Merc dash
    59 olds wheel

So I guess the newest visible part will be the wheel.

Underneath is a mustang II front suspension and a bagged 4 link camaro rear end. Motivation is a 93 SBC and 700r4.

3. The biggest reason I make sporadic progress is that I have zero fabrication skills, and this Merc is 100% fabrication. I can swap a fuel tank, rear end, etc., tune a car, but there is usually a fab aspect to everything.

I've got a buddy who wants to fab the grille, I'll take it to him once I swap the radiator.

4. fordsum

fordsum
    from SO CA

This is my 1949 Chevy I’m getting on the Road Its has a 2000 LS1 and Trans from a Camaro. The front is a 1980 Camaro clip with disc brakes. I think I will keep the look stock but make it a car that I can get in and drive. PS I have learned not to set finished dates for this car

Attached Files:

5. looks like you have a plan. if you start a build thread post it here so I can see it come together...

6. deto

deto

I debated whether or not to post on this thread...

Camaro clip
    heidts narrow control arms and coil overs
    drop spindles
    power steering
    power brakes
    3.08 posi
    AND...
    5.3 injected ls.

Let the whipping begin!

<a href="http://s1028.beta.photobucket.com/user/kreepyratz/library/" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s1028.beta.photobucket.com/user/kreepyratz/library/" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

OK, yes the bullets are from a 56, but other than that...I tried to make it look like it was built in the early 50s.
    Some things have been changed, and others will soon be changing since the photo.

Attached Files:

8. GREASER815

GREASER815

What kind of paint and what color?

9. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Just primer. I don't have the fortitude to maintain paint & I like to change things too often.

10. Did you buy that LS 5.3 car from Joe in Chicago?

11. deto

deto

If you're referring to my car no. I built this one. You should have seen it when I bought it. It was a rock-a-silly time machine... I think I improved it.

12. Maybe we should come up with a term for these kinds of cars, I'll have to think on this. I'm glad OP started this thread, seems like there are a number of us thinking the same way.

I'm planning a carbed LS engine, though factory fuel injection rocks. I'm going to paint the block an older color and do what I can make it look older. But I need as much reliability as possible, I tend to sit in bumper to bumper traffic or have to hop on the highway for pretty much any event.

13. shoebox50

shoebox50

My 50 s10 front clip Maverick rear and a 350 Chevy.

Attached Files:

14. deto

deto

I agree man. As much as technology is a dirty word around here I really love this set up. The sweet spot is 80 mph on the freeway and if I idle in 95 degree weather and park it, I can start it right back up. No hot start issue, no poor idling, just awesome reliability. It's a stock 5.3 and my car hauls ass for what it is. That thing will leave 2 strips of rubber with a 3.08 posi. Not like a power brake peg leg burnout.

I'm really starting to puss out. After 2 years I'm finally sacking up and installing all the side glass after the chop, and it's probably gonna get AC in the next 2 months. I know its not traditional, but its hard to beat how reliable and fast it is.

We do need a term? What do you think? Pro-stalgia? Sled touring? Techno kustom?

15. Donnie Brasco Kustoms.

16. Totally joking fellas.You would be laughing at me on freeway as you blew my doors off.Wasnt trying to offend,totally joking.

17. HAHAHA I thought it was funny Jeff!

18. No worried, I know you probably never drive more than 10 minutes from your house. Just kidding, TOTALLY kidding. :)

Modern Kustoms?

New Trend Kustoms?

My car drives great with the 70's GM coil spring setup, I drive to all over the place and it handles great. But I need to call my buddy who just swapped his rad and order the same damn one and get it in my car, and then pick up a LS motor and get crackin'.

19. BLACKIE HARVELLE

BLACKIE HARVELLE

My buddys truck and dude drives everyday no mater what 2002 nissian frontier complete floor boards,firewall full drivetrain even has ac body grafted to truck if you dont tell anyone or open the hood nobody knows.

Attached Files:

20. hahaha.....a rat sled......
    good one.

21. No......I didn't mean it like a rat but just more of the undercover thing.

10 mins John ? Thats pretty good,with traffic around here that gets me about a mile from the house. I love hauling ass but just not in my Merc(well sometimes),it was built for cruising but that Cad does get up and move the car real good and thats fine for me.Im not trying to be cobra ;)

22. Jeff, we have 10 years of driving around in my truck and under 6 grand. it was always ment to be a driver. just wanted it to look like a Westergard shop truck. You guys have so much time and money in your cars, just the correct accsesories.....it's hard to take a chance and slide it around the corner. now that I think about it my shit is pretty mixed up....it's more like a hot rod in the Westergard style.....
    any way......there are a lot of really nice cars here. I hope they keep comming.

23. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I'm not putting down the topic of the thread, but a lot of these cars arent "48-52 style" customs. Flames? Spinner hubcaps?

I'm not sure what you were shooting for, but I imagine this:
    [​IMG]

With this under the hood:
    [​IMG]

My car actually fits in here perfectly, just dont know if Im comfortable with posting it yet :p

24. Yes,there are some really nice cars here on this thread.You are right.....that is a whole lot of driving for a very low price.I have respect for what you guys have done with your cars.It would be very cool to be passing cars at 90mph in a chopped custom.

25. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I must say, its pretty fun winning drag races against ricers and turbo diesels in this...

[​IMG]

26. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

damn i need to get working on my crap! :eek:

27. YES, that's where I was going....and your car is perfect......
    this thread did get clouded up a bit with flames and such....but also cars like Johns merc and the 37 chevy pick up that are what I was after...... Now that you guys are here that should help out some.
    like my first post said...the other custom thread is my favorite thead on the hamb. i read it all a couple times over a few years, but never thought i had anything to add. that's why I tried to start this one. thanks for tring to understand where I'm comming from.....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  28. redeyewelder

redeyewelder
    from ten

i heard he is building a chopped 51 merc. 302efi turbo custom taildragger next:D (M.F.R.S)

29. I will get rid of my spider caps i promise this to the hamb.

in my neck of the woods, i'm like an educational vehicle, I get to explain to everyone at the coffee shop or gas station what the car is, and what the scene was all about.

but i love the ultra trad stuff like jeff's car, it's in fact one of my inspirations. (for real).

30. Mojo

Mojo

Many years ago I saw an amazing black 48 Buick fastback at a car show. It looked stone stock, other than lowered a couple of inches. Even the interior. The whole chassis was from a mid 70's buick, with a stock 455 with a dress up kit. I thought that was one of the coolest things i'd ever seen. Vintage looks, modern suspension and drivetrain.