Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Briz Bumpers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cosmic12, Nov 15, 2012.

1. cosmic12

cosmic12

I have done a search and haven't come up with much. I need pics of them on 49 to 54 Chevys. I have a chance to buy a set and the cost is way cheaper than chromeing the stockers and I just can't forsee being able to do so for a very long time. They are the 5 rib and are brand new. I don't really like them and wouldn't be my 1st choice but the money thing is pushing me this way. Pics please if you have them. Also are they tough to keep looking good?

2. No photos,but you could probably buy them and trade them for what you really want. HRP

3. demmals7ytriht

demmals7ytriht
    from Speer lane

Had mine plated, they're aluminum, windex makes em look like new

4. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

they kind of remind me of the side trim on those old 50s formica topped kitchen tables. Maybe with some boomerang patterns in the paint job would give it that period correctness...:D

AWSOME

5. OneBad56

OneBad56

Most platers will recommend NOT to chrome them.

Reason is simple.

Aluminum is soft, if a rock hits it, the chrome will chip as the chrome is not flexible.

Better off to clear coat them or use that Zoops Seal.

Have someone do a photoshop for you.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I saw some on a goodguise '36 Monetti 'glass 3-window at Pleasanton...they were painted, ('monochrome'? 'Euro'? ) It was all 'teal'.

That car looked like what the future holds.

7. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Cheap always looks cheap.

8. cosmic12

cosmic12

And that is what I am worried about. If I could aford to chrome them I would just do what I have. I just don't want to lay out the bucks for these and then hate them. I know they look great on some 30's full fendered cars but not so much I think on a 50's custom.

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

They look horrible on just about everything, I lived with body painted bumpers on my 54 Chevy until I could afford to get them plated, they were awful but still preferable to Briz jobs.

10. Squablow

Squablow

The ones that look so good on 30's era customs are real 37 DeSoto bumpers, that's what the Briz ones are patterned after. They look similar but are not the same, you have to be careful not to mistake one for another. A copy of a 30's design on a 50's car just isn't going to look right, probably why the ones in question are for sale. Hate to disappoint, but I personally would pass, I've never been a fan. I'd rather have some crusty original bumpers, even if I had to cover the peeled off spots with HVAC tape.

11. shougcuo

shougcuo
    from Canton

Hopefully someone will get it pretty soon.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. phukinartie

phukinartie

They are Ok I had a set got mixed remarks,Tthey are a little over 400 bucks replating 49 plymouth bumpers were 900 Even though I had them they make your car's look"Thin" to me BUT They are a good company to deal with and get them to you ,at least me, on time

Attached Files:

13. I know it a '30's build but I wouldn't turn down this Masterson built car with them on.

Attached Files:

14. phukinartie

phukinartie

49 plymouth bumpers on a 50 plymouth

Attached Files:

• 383.jpg
      383.jpg
      File size:
      154.3 KB
      Views:
  15. wizzard23

wizzard23

Check the price on chrome repos from Chevs of the 40's, might not be that much more and we're happy with ours.

16. I vote you save up and do it right.

My Mercury first had some on it, and they looked really awful:

[​IMG]

17. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

i prefer rusty bumpers or chrome tape than these, just terrible

18. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Try pricing out your bumpers at TriCity Plating, in TN. They only do bumpers and prices are very reasonable. I had some done for half the price a loca plater wanted, including shipping!
    Stay away from the Briz ones!

19. cosmic12

cosmic12

Thanks everyone, I am going to pass on them. They just don't work for me so I am going to save the bucks for real chrome.

20. edweird

edweird

polish, polish, polish,rub,rub,rub and they are real soft.

Attached Files:

21. I agree,I got my bumpers from these guys and they will use your bumpers or you can trade them in as cores.

They do great work. HRP

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I've got Chev's of the 49's bumpers on my Diamond T, and they are GREAT. They were also CHEAP, two things that don't always go together...

Attached Files: