Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick Fuel Carb Flooding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hud I, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

A friend has a Quick Fuel carb. He run it most of the summer of his drag car. All of a sudden it started shooting fuel out the vent tubes. It does not have to be running. Just turn on the pump and it shoots gas out the tubes. He has adjusted the floats. It mays last a day or so and it starts doing it again. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance. Hud

2. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

Does he have a fuel pressure regulator?

he may be running at too high a fuel pressure, causing the needle valve in the carb to be pushed off the seat by the pressure of the fuel, thus flooding the carb

3. oj

oj

The needle & seat have trash in them. If the flooding is in the front remove that set n&s spray with carb cleaner and stick them back in; do same if the rear is flooding.

4. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

Thanks for the replys. He does have a regulator and is running about 9 lbs. of pressure. He has changed fuel cells also. It worked great most all summer. When he readjusted the floats it lasted a few days and started doing it again. He has had it apart and cleaned everything. Adjusted it down to nothing, then backed it off until it returned to its correct level. Lasted a few days and back to flooding. He is scratching his head. I might add he is a pretty good mechanic. This is his first Quick Fuel carb.

5. A quick fuel carb is just a tricked out holley. 9 psi is too much pressure. back it off to around 6-7 psi and see if that cures the problem.

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'm with oj. Got a filter on it? Sounds like junk in the fuel system or needle and seats are shot. Check that press guage with another one too. Make sure it's got the good Viton needle's . Lippy

7. We use QUICK FUEL carbs and they are some of the best out there. You should have this guy read his instructions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q/F recommends 6.5 to 7.0 PSI of fuel pressure.

8. Replace both needles and seats, make sure you have a good quality filter- properly located, and a good fuel pressure gauge and set the pressure correctly. TR

9. Hud, if your friend needs 9 PSI to run at it's best, he has other issues that may need to be addressed, and is " bandaiding " with high fuel pressures and that's not the correct way to do things. He might need to do some real re-thinking here with his combo, or some good detective work and diagnose a bigger tuning or mechanical problem, hope that helps, TR

10. oj

oj

When he messed with the fuel cells did he still have the 'foam' in the cells? That stuff gets like 'dry rot' and the foam breaks down into fine little pieces. When they breakdown those little pieces go right to the needle and seat.
    I pull the foam out and use it under the fibreglass hood.

11. He is right, look here, lots of great reading.
    http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/technical-info/needle-and-seat-fuel-pressure

I selll Quick Fuel, nice carbs. Mctim clued me into them. I like them so much our lakester is getting a Quickfuel Blow-thru carb.

12. Agreed 100%, more than just great carbs for N/A engines, they can and do build a heck of a Forced Induction carb as well.

For those that don't know, carb sizing on Blow-thru's is different than on N/A applications.

13. Hey TR (Beaner too), Although I'm running a Pro Systems carb, Bill Leverentz (Formerly Jim Oddy's) told me that I should have my pressure set to between 8-1/2 and 9 lbs and is what I run at. Now even though I race my car, it also sees plenty of street miles too. So to say 9 lbs. is the or a problem isn't necessarily the case.

14. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Agree....9 psi is a lot; I found the "dial" type fuel pressure regulators do not work well. Try using another one,...; I believe Holley makes regulators.

4TTRUK

15. We found this to be the case as well. An accurate guage is a must as well.

16. As Tman has said I am running a Quick Fuel on my Uni, good carb I might add, I run 6 psi with a full circulating system, Holley regulator at the fuel tank on the return. Works great and maintains stable pressure at any throttle setting. Of course we run wide open for as much as three miles. No problems.

17. burnout2614

burnout2614

If I know a car is gonna sit for a while I leave the pump off and run the carb out of gas. A couple of times, when I went to start after a few weeks, I had floats that stuck to the bottom of the bowl. Gas flew everywhere. Rare but caused by this crappy stuff they still call gasoline. peace

18. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

I like to pull a bottom bowl screw off the carb and catch the fuel in a dixie cup.
    Seems to be the quickest way to empty the bowls and the motor doesn't lean out.
    I do this every time the carb is gonna come off the intake.

19. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

Thanks guys for all to the responses. I'll pass the info on. Hud