Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The **OFFICIAL** door lettering thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dad, Oct 3, 2009.

1. awesome thread........suits patina cars down to the ground I think

2. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

3. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

4. edweird

edweird

well it aint on a door yet, this just a sketch, hope i get the job.:confused:

Attached Files:

5. edweird

edweird

scharff grey quills, a little stiffer than browns, suits my style.

6. edweird

edweird

this is why i dont paint in public!,,,that kid is probabaly shaking the door and dropping boogers on the sign man,and the old man is asking 10,000 questions and looks like an asshole. the sign man really wants to turn around and check out the blonde and she wont stop flappin her lips either. sign man needs to fart, but cant. he got to hold it till the crowd leaves. he's also thirsty, but no body offers, and he hates to ask,all he wants to do is fly through this job and get the hell out of there!..............been there, done that. thats why i letter in my own shop, drink beer and listen to jr brown.can anyone relate?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    LongroofRon likes this.
  7. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

Go on and fart, Edweird. I do...they expect it from us. Artsy fartsy?

8. edweird

edweird

more of my stuff

Attached Files:

9. edweird

edweird

ok crook, i just farted!

10. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

What IS that blonde doing? Is she wearing handcuffs? She can't be Mrs Jones, must be the gold digging girlfriend. ;)

11. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I find that you should just let a ripper, but just keep talking or whatever you are doing but don't acknowledge that anything happened, then they aren't quite shure where it came from.

12. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

My partner in crime, Dick who is the D in DJ's Louver Service, bought this truck from Arizona. It was an F-3 but he shortened it to F-1 wheelbase, installed late model Ford pickup rear and put a five speed behind the flathead. The old master of striping and lettering in our area, Dick Mills, put the lettering on it to match the sun bleached southwest patina.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      193.2 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      190.4 KB
      Views:
  13. BSL409

BSL409

14. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Just tell them it is a message from our President......

15. 117harv

117harv

It still has some lettering.

Attached Files:

16. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Hey Ed , what do you think about moving the Quain Stott lettering down a little and use the axe to seperate the first and last names . Just a thought .

17. edweird

edweird

cant do that. every time i fart.i need approval. youknow, something like, oooo damn, that was a good one, ...........................its 2am and i'm talkin about farts.:confused:
    i'm goin to bed!

18. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

You could always call a friend and phone one in for approval.....

19. Here's one I did awhile back......ya I farted while lettering this one!

Attached Files:

20. One more......

Attached Files:

21. Big Dad

Big Dad

It is, thanks to all that keep it alive ..great artwork !!

22. edweird

edweird

you do great work!!

23. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I didn't mind at all when people watched...sometimes it would get crowded and you'd have to ask some jerk to get off the car...I always wondered why people AWAYS had to touch it to see if it was dry.......I had a Navy Buddy that always went with me...He did all the talking...he's say..."only thing that bothers the Striper is Half Dressed Women and Biting Dogs....I do the talking and drinking, he does the work."......been thinking about going back out and so a few shows again.....Now that I'm old and set in my ways, I can always say no to a job.

24. dan sutton

dan sutton

'48 Chevy pickup

Attached Files:

25. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I paint murals in elementary schools, people don't bother me. Gotta learn to talk and paint. Always fun to let your smart ass out while in front of a crowd. I love the guy who says quietly to his friend " I could do that." I hand them the brush, they always backpedal quickly.

26. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Yeah..."If I had those brushes I could do that".......Don't you love it......In all my years I only had one I couldn't satisfy....the guys wife came back from shopping and had a fit......I never said a word, I just grabbed my Mineral Spirits and rag...wiped it all off and told him to not worry about it...No charge.....probably got more publicity that weekend off that job than any other I've ever done........Sometimes being too nice pays Big Dividends...hehehehe

27. edweird

edweird

make a long story short.guy and wife approach me to do graphics on black 47 ford coupe. wife picks colors. maroon and ivory.guy brings car to my shop next day. had friend with him, not wife. guy and friend pick different colors. orange and lime green. i paint said graphics.guy and friend come get car, get paid. guy and friend love it.next week i see car at local show with guy and wife. graphics gone! guy avoids me.key word here is wife! i laugh. go to bank and cash check.

28. I painted billboards for Foster & Kleiser Outdoor for 40 years, I started a five year apprenticeship program in 1963 when I was 19, mixed and match color for one year, photograph artwork for one year, make patterns for one year, then out to the studio to learn how to letter and paint the pictorial artwork on the 60'x22' & 48'x14' billboards. We had bus loads of people from all over the world come thru the plant, lots & lots of questions from them, we just learned to deal with it. I think the best questions came for grade school kids.

Attached Files:

Motorwrxs and Smokin' Joe like this.
  29. onearmbandit

onearmbandit

A few things I've lettered recently

Attached Files:

30. 117harv

117harv

Billboards are door art? Nice work but not for this thread, lets stay on topic please.