Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Rod shop up in flames... Hot Rod Recue in San Diego

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Metaltwister, Nov 13, 2012.

1. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Share your pain all to well. I lost everything in a house fire back in Feburary. If the fire doesn't get to it, then the smoke damage and water damage from the fire department takes out anything that might not have burned. Just looking at your shop photos and I could practically smell that terrible, all-to-familiar, after-fire scent. An absolutely terrible experience to go through but it'll get better. It takes time, and lots of it . . . but it does get better.

2. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

3. kennkat

kennkat

4. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

slamchop
    HAMB member #1121
    Join Date 12-08-2002
    Hope you don't mind me posting this...
    But, you didn't just fall off of the potato truck.

5. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Fire sucks, best of luck to you and the new shop.

Scotty

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. That is a big time bummer-Best of luck to you guys-sounds like you have the attitude for success.

8. AMEN to this!

9. 343WINDOW

343WINDOW

I had a total loss house fire in Dec 2010...right before Christmas. I can tell you it really sucks, puts a lot of stress on the family. Luckily we were insured and rebuilt...weird thing was my Harley was in the garage (uninsured for the winter) and pulled through unscathed...even though everything around it was burnt to crisp...I guess the Harley gods were lookin' out for me...

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I've read this thread three times and saw the media coverage with comments. My question is what kind of landlord would rent a commercial space without proof of insurance and loss payee certificate? Something is missing here.

12. I would. Why would the landlord be concerned if the tenant has insurance or not? The landlord carries insuranance on the fixed property and liability to protect his investment ... its up to the tenant to protect his own investment. Thats what "renter's insurance" is for. Or, at least thats how the issue works in California. Most rental agreements mentions this situation in them and advise the tenant to secure insurance ... its an option.

13. Sure does suck...Hope you are sucessful in the restart of your shop.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

15. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Drove by that shop today.
    Good thing that sedan body wasn't inside,
    looks like a good project to restart.

Wasn't that metal shop rented/ran by Bob Estrada the guy that owns Old Town Mexican Cafe?
    That guy is loaded he better help out if his shop started the fire.
    Seems like there was only one street number on the front,
    isn't the whole property covered by the renters insurance?
    Your guys's place looked like a lean-to next to the main building.

Saw a "for rent" sign out in front too.
    Was that before or after?

Anyway didn't realize you guys were so close.

TP

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  16. slamchop

slamchop
    from San Diego

Hey thanks everyone for your support. Will know next week if we got this new shop . Been a rough week, but its only up from here. I do have a question though, and was wondering if the front axle is ok to run on a new project? I bought it from Speedway, and question todays axles? Chassis got so hot my square tubing cross member/trans mount almost ended up round from the heat. I might try and keep the rails and ditch the cross members. Im hoping the Olds rear is still ok, and have no problem keeping the spindles. Thanks again

17. Justin B

Justin B

damn jason that sucks, hope you guys end up in a bigger, better, cheaper rent, deal, you deserve it after dealing with the fire.

i would toss/scrap everything, axle, rails, spindles, alot of the damage isn't done from the fire but when it gets that hot and is quenched with a fire hose that metal will loose all its integrity.

18. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I would not trust it. Make it wall art in your new shop. Sorry about the fire and hope your future is full of hot rod builds.

19. I just saw this yesterday, I hope you get the new shop and everything stays on the up and up for you.

20. abodyjoe

abodyjoe

What's with these places not having insurance. That's just nuts.

21. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Been on the phone with Jason off and on this last week. One of the local car clubs had a nice show of support and did a fund raising for them this past weekend. Look like the hot rod community is being true to its rich history of looking out for its own. Jason is busy spinning wrenches trying to get things out the door in his semi temporary shop. Things are looking up for the guys and I for one hope we can continue to support their needs in any way we can. Its always good to see like minded business in the area survive and get stronger. :D They seem to be on the rebound!

The fund raiser news blurb... http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...-Who-Lost-Hot-Rod-Shop-in-Fire-185817352.html

22. Fenders

Fenders

They say talk is cheap, in this case sounds like it was expensive.

It really sucks, hope you bounce back, but no one should be without insurance.

23. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Slamchop, just saw this what a bummer for you guys... any updates or progress on the new shop?