Register now to get rid of these ads!

1938 chevy coupe Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yathink, Nov 14, 2012.

1. yathink

yathink
    from joppa md

What do you guys think about a 38 chevy coupe gasser with a 471 blown 292 inline 6 cylinder?

2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes. Keep it traditional. Think Bare Bare H/G 1938 Chevy, which had an inline.

3. yathink

yathink
    from joppa md

That's what I was thinking,I see all v/8's around here. I just want something different.

4. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

I am just about to pick up a 1938 chevy (Street Rod) blaaaaaaaa! and possibly save it from itself and make it a gasser too.
    Jay

5. yathink

yathink
    from joppa md

I'm looking for Ideas and some pics before I jump into it. I have a 33 ford street rod that I hardly drive because I spend to much time cleaning it. I want something nice but not to nice!

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Speaking of 38 Chevy Gasser, I have had a 38 Chevy Coupe since 1974. It was set up gasser style when I bought it. It has gone through a couple of transformations over the years. Sadly to say in the 90's I went through a Streetrodder phase. The new plan is to go back gasser with a Nailhead since I have about 4 of them lying around. Maybe we can keep each other motivated on this :)

7. yathink

yathink
    from joppa md

That's a good idea! I've been twisting,turning,banging and burning metal since the age of 13 and now I'm 44 and the motivation sure doesn't last long.

8. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Well I started dreaming of hot rods at about the same age. Didnt have any resources available at the time. Dad worked 12 to 18 hours a day 6 and 7 days a week driving an oil field transport so we didnt get as much guy time as I would have liked. He did tell me lots of storys about his youth and motorized exploits. I started reading Hotrod, Cartoons and the like dreaming of the day when I could wrench on my own ride. At 16 I started picking cheap rides that needed some work and more or less taught myself how to fix em. Fast forward to today, 60 years old, semi retired, a nice equiped shop and more time to wrench then the back can take.
    So the plan is to find a replacement frame for the coupe instead of cutting the mustang 2 out, fabbing the mounts for the nailhead and SP400, setting the body onto the new frame then selling the streetrod frame with 350/700r4 attached to some one that wants late model suspension and drive train.
    I have located a frame just havent had time to go look at it. Got a big swap meet to go to this weekend so I'll see what might turn up there.

9. Here's a little motorvation for yawl, maybe. They're not inlines and the green one is a '39, but...

Attached Files:

10. yathink

yathink
    from joppa md

That is some good motorvation that's for sure. I have a rust free coupe that is 99% complete. I drive it all over the place and the people love it. What's funny is the car has won just as many trophies as my $40,000 33 ford that I have and I only have 4500.00 total investment in my 38 coupe. Found it in an old shed 5 miles from my house while a friend was pumping a septic system. Man told me $3000 and I could take it! 3 weeks later and $1500 more dollars I was and still am driving it. Now that I found a 37 and a 38 coupe that is rough it's time for a gasser build!!!!!

11. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Sounds pretty cool to me! Something totally different! I love the late 30's chevy Gassers!

12. yathink

yathink
    from joppa md

What do you guys think about the trans. 4 speed or s10 5 speed?

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd go the 5 speed if you are planning on much highway driving. Another option would be the truck 5 speeds from late 80's-90's 2wd Chevy trucks. They are cheap, and have a fairly low 1st gear (either 3.50:1 or 4.00:1) but still have a 5th gear OD at .73:1, so work well with a 6 cyl.

14. yathink

yathink
    from joppa md

I'll have to check the ratios on those. Never heard of running them before. As long as it don't have a granny gear 1'st. Had the s10 5 speed behind a flathead ford once and had to change gears from a mustang trans. Then it was great. By the way NICE car you have there. What kind of steering box you using?

15. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Definately 4 speed if its going to see any track time or any hard acceleration. Even the 6's put out a good amount of torque with the heavy parts rotating.

16. Ain't it always the way? You search the world over for something and you end up finding it right down the street as you didn't even know it was there. Sounds like a fine project you're undertaking. Please keep us posted on your progress. BTW, I'm partial to the 4spd, but sometimes you have to be practical and make concessions. I'm sure whichever one you choose will be right.

17. yathink

yathink
    from joppa md

Project will begin as soon as I sell my 2 dr sedan. Hope this forum or craigslist works,I want to get started!!!!

18. yathink

yathink
    from joppa md

Anybody have paperwork,instructions or pictures of a front end running a straight axle,hair pins and coil over shocks. I know someone that has this style front end just sitting in his garage. This front does not use leaf springs,only coil overs!! Might only be good for drag race only so I would like to find out some things about it before I make an offer.

19. yathink

yathink
    from joppa md

Sedan sold thanks to this forum, getting the coupe this coming weekend,can't wait to start!!!!!!

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Thanks! I'm using a Corvair van box.

21. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats! Subscribed

22. yathink

yathink
    from joppa md

This is going to be a long week waiting to see the car. I have real high hopes. Love the story the guy has. Said it has a hopped up straight six and it's buried inside his barn and there's no way to send pics. to me. I ''WILL'' find a way to take pics. when I get there!!!!

23. yathink

yathink
    from joppa md

Well just a email from the man and he's not 100% sure he wants to sell it now. We'll see what happens!!! Hope this ain't the end of this thread!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  24. yathink

yathink
    from joppa md

Well this may be the end of this gasser thread. But I did buy a 37 coupe but it has a pretty nice chassis under it with a mustang 2 and power steering front end. 57 chevy rear, 327 turbo 350 with heat and a/c. Hate to cut it all back out so it looks like it's going in the Bonneville salt car direction now. None of them in Maryland that I have seen.