Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stovebolt 6, air conditioning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54cruzer, Nov 14, 2012.

1. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

I wanted to pull out the motor put something else in it, but this 216 RUNS SO FREAKING GOOD! (no smoke, no leaks, okay power, cranks right up)Okay, I can't leave it alone, my compromise is to somehow put air in it. I can figure it out but I'm askin for some quick answers cause I know you guys got em.

I can get a bracket that sits the compressor up high on the drivers side and runs off of a second belt- double pulley on the alternator.....but what do you do about the 5/8 pulleys? I put the 5/8 generator pulley on the alt. A double alt pulley would be 1/2 and also the belts may sit too low and slip the 5/8 216 pulleys? maybe.?

I know the air would zap the life out of the six when it was on, but I could live with it when it is 96 degrees down here in Fla.
    My other ideas with that was to add a second carb for a little more power with the air(bracket says okay with two carbs)-I don't know- again I hate to screw up the perfect runner?
    Are two carbs asking for two much trouble as well. I've heard things...

I've notched the rear, added a 3.o8 rear end and a '56 3speed, so it cruises on the highway.

Attached Files:

2. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

3. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

Thanks, but that's for later 6s? I've got a 250 I was going to build, with all the brackets.
    Trying to stick with the 216, mostly the 5/8 pulleys that are throwin me off for some reason.

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

You'll be putting a lot more stress on the crank pulley, water pump bearings,
    I'm not sure how it is attached to the crank. Might look at it first.

Will the 216 move the car with a 30 hp loss intermittently?

5. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

I like that bracket, maybe better that the one I was looking at,
    but that still doesn't address the 5/8 belt(s), the answer would be a compressor with a 5/8 pulley? ....and a double 5/8 pulley for the alternator-do they exist?

6. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

.....also would need a double pulley on the crank with that bracket

7. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

Here's the bracket I was looking at

Attached Files:

8. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Talk to the guys at Patricks. I got my stuff from them and they seem to know how to deal with it

9. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

Here's how it would look but I think this is a 235, with 1/2" belts?

I realize I could change my waterpump and crank pulleys but not sure how that works on the 216?? That's why I was hoping to keep the motor pulleys stock??

Sweet looking 6 huh?!

Attached Files:

10. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

run it off the pumpkin, nascar style. :) kidding, don't do that.

11. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

Just spoke to the guy that makes this bracket and says I should(but check for myself) be able to run a 17 series belt in those old 5/8 belt pulleys.
    His set up uses one belt that runs everything!
    Just looking at those pulleys, they look really wide like the 17 series belt will bottom out and slip.....but.....well I guess I'll go out and fit a belt and see.
    Anyone run a 17 belt in these with success?

Attached Files:

12. Snarl

Snarl

If you switch to a '54 235 water pump and balancer, then you can run the smaller belt. You don't want to run the small belt on the large pulley from what I've seen.
    I also have A/C, PS & Alt brackets designed for the '37-54 and '55-62 engines, but I don't have them in stock yet.

13. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

I've got a '56 235 with the pump and balancer, will they work? Will the front seal up as usual, it does not leak a drop right now? I guess the balancer is pressed on?

14. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

15. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

16. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Give by buddy Roe a call. Here's his website
    www.streetrodbracketry.com
    He designed and built the brackets for my Nailhead in my 50 chevy sedan delivery and is now adding them to his catalog. He has some brackets for the stovebolt and can answer all of your questions.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  17. GREASER815

GREASER815

I just roll my windows down, open my vent windows and my fresh air vents when I get hot. Haven't had any problems with everything working right so far.

18. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

Yes, his bracket is the one I may order, and I talked to him, he wasn't sure about the pulleys and suggested I try a 17 series belt?

Still wondering if a '56 235 balancer and water pump will fit right on to the '46 216. Also curious if they ever made a 235 2 pulley set-up I could look for??

Ha Ha, I was waiting on this one. Yeah all of mine are working right too but for some reason just let in fast moving hot air!

19. specialk

specialk

That might work in Illinois, but not so much in Florida (or Texas either). It's not much fun when it's 105* / 60% humidity - try showing up to work with your clothes stuck to your back with sweat - doesn't make for a pleasant day. Or happy coworkers.