Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 "style" customs with modern suspensions and drivelines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cafone, Oct 14, 2012.

1. a990hemi

a990hemi
    from Wisconsin

This is what I found in Joplin, MO in September of 2011.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  2. the merc is worth saving. You've gotten quite a bit of work done to it already...for a next project, can't wait to see that one finished.

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is it a couple of months ago, its torn apart to finish up the underside and chassis..

The front clip is in primer now too...

[​IMG]

4. Moedog07

Moedog07

Merc looks good.

5. the chop is perfect. your the man to take the piece of junk you started with. it's a bad ass sled now.
    what chassis and drive train are you using?

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks Cafone I hope to have it running by the end of next summer, its a shortened lowered s10 frame 305 auto nothing special, its a custom looks are more important :D, truck below is my old 48 Chevy former 4 door it was on the road for about 2 grand was alot of fun to bomb around in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had finally found a decent set of front fenders and had them mostly redone when I put it up for sale after we found out mrs koolkemp was pregnant the 2 of us barely fit in it so there was no way a car seat would fit. I had several different grilles and bumpers to choose from ,headlight treatment was was gonna be buick, full fadeaways etc I really wish I had the chance to finish it!

7. that truck is crazy cool....

you my friend are an increadible custom builder!!!

hahaha I just caught on.....the ford moredoor and merc are the same car....i can be a little dense sometimes

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. 70's GM frame, coils springs front and rear, cammed SBC. Had it it up to 90mph.

Will get carbed LS engine and eventually 4L60E.

[​IMG]

9. Your merc is stunning....
    It just needs the caddy caps.

10. roaddog

roaddog

i started with a 52 pontiac 4 door and channelled it over an 85 olds delta 88 frame,chopped it 6inches.because of the 307 olds with an overdrive i can cruise 80mph all day at 2000rpm because of the od.i can get parts anywhere also.it took almost 7 years to build and i drove it in primer for 3years before painting it this year.i learned alot and enjoy driving it all the time.

Attached Files:

11. the photochopped version of your car is beautiful.....the headlights are a little late for where your heading. I like the airflow idea, but like you said, how do you find a set of them.....

I think you have some time to figure that one out.
    sorry I didn't see your post sooner, I'm here on an old ass phone and somehow it started on the next page.....

12. The paint looks really good, did you do the paint work also? It's a little past the era we were looking for, with the flames and skinny whites but looks like a fun car....

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

ProStockJohn you should post a before pic of the Merc!! Its come along way and I love the dark blue color!

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks, I guess I didnt actually mention they were the same car lol, believe me I can be more than a little dense at times too :p I do have plans to build another truck someday...I have enough of a 46 Ford truck to do something just not sure what yet !

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

A true long distance traveller !

17. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

46 chevy, long nascar style 3-link with coilovers, rides low and excellent!

Attached Files:

18. Okay.

11/2012:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Commissioned Rik to do a photoshop for me:

[​IMG]

19. you nailed it for sure. again, very cool car....

20. OH YEA....I really like your '46.

After 50 years the truck arm suspension is still a great design for a live axel.....maybe that's why nascar still uses them.

21. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

Yeah, you will get mixed opinions on here about a 3-link, I looked and listened though, and decided to try it and couldn't be happier with the ride and adjust-ability with the coil-overs. I studied the Gambino/Jimenez bros 3-links. I think it helps to make the arms as long as possible, and I used huge greasable "super
    pivot" rod ends which allow for a lot of twist. I've done several four links but I will go this route whenever I can.

22. Do you have a build thread, would like to see more of your truck......

23. I guess mine fits here. Kind of a mixed bag Mustang II, 4 link and bags but 235 for engine.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

24. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

wow, what an excellent transformation! Nice job!

25. Thanks John! Your's is looking great as well!!! Just need some hubcaps and a grill.:D

26. post a couple shots of your avitar, that is a beautiful car.....

was there a post with a purple chevy in the avitar, or am I going crazy?????

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  27. I love your Chevy, definitely has a Westergard flavor to it. The molded headlights and bed are very cool. I think the grill you made is pretty nice, why are you giving up on it? I'll be watching your build thread......

28. Thanks. Not giving up on it at all just not getting as much time to work on it as I would like:(. Working in a small one car garage has its limits especially now that winter has arrived and working outside is more difficult. I hope to have some updates soon.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

29. cool.....I thought you were looking for another grill......