Register now to get rid of these ads!

'32 Frame rear crossmember and mono spring clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coke-bottle, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

Still working in my '32 5w.

I'm new about frames rules, I just hand made the rear crossmember, but I'm not completely sure about two things.

In the first picture you can see the clearance from the diff cover and the rear crossmember. A bit less than 7/8". It's enough? Assuming the spring travel I think there is no issue, but i prefer ask before doin big mistakes.

In the second picture, assuming the spring is from a '38 stock front end, could I leave the clareance you can see in the pic? That's the perfect stance, where the weel is a bit upper the round in the quarter panel.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1352942935.056845.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1352943013.186664.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1352943050.149946.jpg

That's the stance i'm talking about.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1352943136.186761.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Henry located the centerline of the rear spring 7 1/2" behind the centerline of the axle, if that helps. Pete & Jake and most of the other aftermarket suppliers have maintained this dimension in their aftermarket parts. The final decision will have to be yours.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  3. Beau

Beau

Chop top kid,

What did you end up setting you spring perches at?

I also noticed you ran 5 springs. Did that end up being to soft? I'm mocking mine up and I guessed about 5 would be right. But I have heard from others that it ended up being soft. I suppose it really depends on what's being built, but it's nice to have a baseline.

Also, thanks for the 7 1/2" dimension. I based mine off the 35/36 mounts so I'm assuming mine is close. But I'm going to have to measure now.

4. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I set the perches at 42 1/2" apart for the '40 front spring. I think the 35/36 are the same.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

5. I used a mono spring with the original cross member and a 9" Bronco under my '32 pickup,,the distance is about 1/2 inch from the rear of the axle,,not a problem. HRP

6. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

Thanks as usual.
    So the clearance from the crossmember is ok. Any advice about the clearance to leave from the frame to the axle tube (in the second picture up here) I want to leave 4", but I think it isn't enough!?

Luca

7. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Quick review and opinion, the position of the rear axle determines the location of the rear wheel center in the body wheel house and fender thus is #1 priority. Since you are using the spring traditional cross spring, your design of the rear spring hanger will determine the for/aft the spring location and can be positioned any where as long as there is sufficient clearance for the banjo to pass by with no interference. 1/2" is about as close as comfortable. My position is to try to have at least 4" of compression before the axle bottoms on the frame. Using your picture and the felt pen mark on the frame rail your C notch to achieve the 4" gap is only leaving you with about 1" of frame height structure and even boxed this would not be sufficient to support the load leverage. Without additional support at that point the frame may sway back at the C notch . You can final adjust the ride height of the car by spacers at the rear spring mount.

8. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

Dick, many thanks for your advice. One step closer to be a roller!

I'm going to C notch no more than the half of the frame section, maybe a bit more, but leaving 4" between the tube and the upper side of the C notch. The stance would not be sacrificed anyway.

Luca