Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any HAMB'ers in British Columbia running Fenderless?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tradmapper, Jun 6, 2009.

1. tradmapper

tradmapper

I'm just starting a '32 and I'd really like to build a Highboy, anyone in BC running a fenderless car? Just wondering if the Mounties have a fair weather policy or am I gonna get slammed?

2. There is no "fair weather" policy in BC. You take your chances, and when you get caught, they'll make you get it safety inspected, many get away with it, but it's at the discretion of the officer.:(

3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Bowtie is right. The British Columbia Motor Vehicle Act and Regulations require fenders. There is a group headed by Jim Winter that is actively trying to get an exemption to this law for old hot rods. Any B.C. guys that are interested pm me and I will give you Jim's contact info. I'm building a channeled 33 Ford five window coupe, and do not want to have fenders on it to keep it in the true 50's style.

Would be interested in hearing about fender exemption laws anywhere else.
    Any of you aware of whether one esists in your area?

4. Jim already contacted me about our fenderless laws in Saskatchewan. We are the only province in Canada with an exemption. Lots of fenderless cars in the Vancouver area. Unfortunately, an accident a few years back with a fenderless roadster on the Coquihalla hwy in the rain still has the government's back up. Deuce days in Victoria also had a bunch of fenderless cars running around in the province's capital and the government took notice. Remains to be seen what will come of Jim's efforts. In the meantime you drive and take your chances. Pat.

5. tradmapper

tradmapper

I am thinking about a set of removable mimimalist fenders, something you could run in a pinch and meet the requirments for an inspection, there has to be a way around this?

6. tradmapper

tradmapper

I just ran into a local guy running a fenderless A-Tub, says he built the car 5 years ago and runs all over the valley, has been to the coast several times and did a tour of the island last year, and has never had a cop even look at him. Says the fairweather rule seems to be alive and working in BC!

7. Anyone know about Alberta's rules?

Steve

8. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I ran a fenderless t-bucket in Calgary for 7 years and never got hassled. We put a shitload of miles on it, too. Even in the rain the cops would just look at me and grin. :D

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

A lot of the cops look the other way approach has to do with the way you drive. Don't give them a reason to pull you over. But in B.C. it is still currently illegal to run without fenders - hopefully we can convince the powers that be to make an exemption for our "carefully driven" hot rods.

10. George G

George G

I'm going for my safety inspection tomorrow here in Spruce Grove Alberta. I'm a little nervous about my lack of fenders and bumpers. I have selected a car friendly shop so I have my fingers crossed.

11. tradmapper

tradmapper

George G, how did you make out with the inspection?

12. George G

George G

I passed with flying colors. I got an "out of province" inspection. Thankfully the guy was "with it" and showed me a T tub they were working on in the back.

The out of province seems to focus on things like brake lining thickness, wheel bolt torque, tire pressure thead depth. Yeah right.

All my brake stuff and tires are new.....

No qustions about no fenders or bumpers. :)

There were a couple of minor things like an exterior vent for the gas tank, a licence plate light and I have to adjust more toe in. But he signed it off with my promise to make the corrections and come back to show him.

So I'm legal and on the road. Ya hooo.

13. 1930FordRod

1930FordRod
    from Canada, BC

I am building a Model A and I would like to run with out fenders also. Hopefully Jim Winter will have some luck in getting changes made to the British Columbia Motor Vehicle Act.

14. al-uminum

al-uminum

I'm not planning on fenders of any kind on my project. THEY will just have to change the rules before I hit the road.(the fact that I have the Regi. may help).

15. pg409

pg409

Fenders, hood tops, and wipers are a requirement in BC.
    The inspection facility risks the loss of their licence if the vehicle is
    pulled over or in an accident.
    If you remove fenders after an inspection you could risk NO insurance coverage. Liability and collision.

Having said that the RCMP have much more on their minds than a few cars running around that do not comply. So, for the moment, drive sensibly and do not give them an excuse to pull ya over.

Time will be the test on this one.

If you want to hear it direct, Call Nigel Mathews, who is in charge at ICBC for collector car insurance. He is easily available by calling the head office in West Vancouver

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  16. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

PG409, that is some good advice.

17. tradmapper

tradmapper

Anything new in BC?

18. larry forrester

larry forrester

Hi Jim I am building a fenderlesswhat coupe what do u want me to do Larry

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Updates from anyone with new experiences or info on this for Alberta or BC or both ???

20. Yes, a fender-less "fair weather" law is close at hand here in BC.......but it is a very slow legislative process, at least several years once the "green lite" is lit.......Al Clarke's Deuce Days Northwest event being held in Victoria since 2002 has proven to help this endeavour, with many fenderless cars in attendance and our politicians noticed......

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Do we have an estimated time for when this will be a done deal ? [​IMG]

I am approaching the time when I will need to decide to build removable cycle fenders..... or not.

I would rather not as I know I can get my car inspected and road ready without them for Alberta.

My concern is having to possibly add them to a finished and painted car when I move to Vancouver Island in about 4 years time.

22. 4 yrs out should see all legislation in place........but don't hang me from the ankles on this.......you'd have to see the slow grind of gov't procedures to fully appreciate it.......... no, not understand it.......

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, just joined the BC SVA. :) Hope it will get pushed through.
    Thanks for all the effort on it.

24. I'm just finishing my third build without fenders. The other 2 are still running around B.C. I've never had a problem. I believe having grey hair and NOT giving the officers any reason to pull you over goes a long way.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

How does it go getting licenced for the street in BC without fenders ??

26. Either already registered. A "car friendly" inspector or remove fenders after the inspection.
    Fenders are only a small part of the licencing process. Typically these same cars have lake style headers (exhaust exiting in front of driver is a no no) No hood to or sides et et.

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have to say that is a typical response that I have seen from other BC guys on threads like these.

Post saying I have built lots of these cars and I and they run fenderless all the time.
    Whenever I ask how they do this and get licencing on a new build or otherwise very few specifics are given and the answers are always similarly vague.

28. And the responses will stay vague until fenderless hotrods are "legal" in BC........no one will go on public record stating what/how/when they went fenderless........if you're moving to BC in 4 years, you should have "no worries".......lots of fenderless cars on BC roads now and little, if any, problems w/police, etc........as stated, just don't attract attention to yourself or fenderless car.....and that's good advice no matter where you're driving......FYI, even California does not have a fenderless law for hotrods that weight over 1500 lbs, which would be all of them......

bct likes this.
  29. trollst

trollst

Actually, we here in b.c. do not have a fender law....its written in the motor vehicle act as a mudguard. There are provisions as to what a mudguard is, but when you see a semi go by, you'll see what the law calls for. Honestly, the real problem is nobody knows what the motor vehicle act calls for, including cops, I've run fenderless cars almost thirty years, had a few squabbles with young RCMP, and won every argument, I've had them tell me that when they look down onto the tire, they shouldn't be able to see the tire, only a fender. At that point I tell them to stop making up things as they go, prove their point. The motor vehicle act here is actually pretty vague, for example, it doesn't state you have to have a hood, it only asks on the inspection form if there is one, which can be marked n/a, as in non applicable.
    However, its best not to argue the point, make yourself a set of removeable cycle fenders and get through the inspection, try to get an inspector who is hot rod friendly, not to cheat, but not to make you jump through hoops either. Just make sure what you build is safe and solid, most cops won't hassle you if it looks good.