Register now to get rid of these ads!

hiborn fuel injection for a y block ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skidmarks, Nov 14, 2012.

1. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

i have another thread i started asking about a crossboss intake set up on a hotrod.

the same time this setup was brought up to use in a hotrod, a complete hilborn set up for a yblock ford turned up.

i personally perfer y block ford to most motors and try to stay away from small block fords all together.

being an early mechanical hilborn set up, aside from hard starting is it something street friendly or is it basically a race only set up

the most i have had have been dual carbs on a flathead and 3 carbs on a y block. the truck im building for myself thats y block powered has a odd ball 2 X2 with 97 carbs.

2. tig master

tig master
    from up north

That fi is race only.

T

3. k-member

k-member

I bet it looks cool though.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Do some googling/ Hamb searches are you'll find it's generally not street able because it's set for WOT and anything else is gonna stumble.

Though in my searches I do see people running multiple valves and the like to do it on the street. So you'd adjust fuel pressure via the additional valve while driving. It's more complicated then that but you get the jist.

Sounds like a lot of dicking around just to go down the road to me

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Other than being built to fit the Y-Block's over & under intake ports, it's just like any other Hilborn. There have been several threads recently about making one run on the street. Most think it's too difficult to make it worth the effort but a few die hards insist it can be done-successfully. There was an article in HRM (September 1986) on how to do it. P.M. me with an email address and I'll send a copy.

6. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Consider port nozzles sized for E85 which has a wider AFR band compared to gasoline, but you still have the start prime to consider and probably lots of playtime. I ran an Enderle in a boat many years ago and even at times less than WOT. It may be worth the playtime

7. Lots of recent HAMB discussion on this very topic (application doesn't really matter)... It WON'T work well on the street as typically plumbed. I'll leave it at that.

8. Normbc9

Normbc9

If it looks anything like this it is only for racing applications. I'd hate to try to keep my Y block at speeds I wouldn't have to go to jail for. Hilborne is still in business if you have any questions give them a call.
    Normbc9

Attached Files: