Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the deal with STACK PIPES?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TINGLER, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

[usually the way we tell gay people around here is when they spell CUSTOMS with a K

QUOTE=Post Apocalyptic Kustoms;8336157]The deal with them is that they are gay, no matter what they are on wether it's a 12" stove pipe on some inbreeder's lifted dodge diesel with 28" rims and mud tires or if it's on a traditional hot rod pickup, doesn't matter, still GAY.

Thats my opinion, if you don't like it then build a bridge and get over it.[/QUOTE]

2. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

[/QUOTE]

Guess george barris, larry watson, rik hoving, Bo huff, ed roth, etc. are all gay. I had no Idea. And here I thought they were all pretty cool guys. Shows what us newbies know.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  3. there is only one thing i like stacked

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

So I guess there are people on theHAMB that respect the old traditional ways. Then there are the others who could care less.

5. slammed

slammed

[​IMG]

6. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I like stacks on some trucks, but anythin without a flat bed looks goofy with em. My dad in the 70s used to drive a 55 chevy wrecker with 2" water pipe stacks. It was a pretty cool truck from what I seen in pictures. Ill see if I can dig up some pics for all of you to bitch about. :p

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If done right can look good but there would be no way in hell I would waste bed space by installing them in the middle of the bed like I have seen on some modern diesel trucks.

8. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

...another example of the evolution of some Hamb threads:
    Is "blank" traditional?

9. please dont do that to that truck

10. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

11. Elrusto

Elrusto

Best of both worlds

Attached Files:

12. Anderson

Anderson

stacks are for pancakes.

13. spiders web

spiders web

The only way I would consider stacks would be a promise from Lonnie Anderson to sit on my face while I rev the engine. Of course if your a Nascar (Non Athletic Sporting event Created Around Rednecks) fan then you probably had stacks on your tricycle at an early age. Oh well because it takes all kinds to make the world go around, I guess we'll allow it as long as your education level does not exceed fifth grade and your first name is multiple and hyphenated.

14. Normbc9

Normbc9

I had a '47 GMC (old narow cab) and pulled the original engine and installed a heated up 270. I split the exhaust manifold myself and ran the 2 1'4" inch tubes into two 16 " tractor spark arresters. Then started them up through the bed. Both pipes were chromed and had a angled outlet to help with the rain water issue. the back pressure compared to another truck I had seemed to be much lss. Also, the sound sure was one that everyone complimented me about. Not too loud or obnoxious but smooth and had the typical inline six purr. I did put a heat shield around both stacks up to about three fet from the bed floor.. When I sold it I still think the exhaust sounds had something positive to do with the sale.
    Normbc9

15. choptvan

choptvan

Guess george barris, larry watson, rik hoving, Bo huff, ed roth, etc. are all gay. I had no Idea. And here I thought they were all pretty cool guys. Shows what us newbies know.[/QUOTE]

Hey. Did you realize that those " gay " people you speak of, some of them anyway, put stacks on an old pickup at one time or another? Go home newbie.

16. dad-bud

dad-bud

No, sorry, not anytime

17. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

I'm building a 41 Chevy truck. Not a mustang ll, camaro rearend fake truck, its a real truck. A 70 mph, trailer pulling, load hauling, rock solid truck. What I read here in this thread tonight has convinced me that it will have stacks.
    It must be done right or its goofy, but done right, yes, its cool.
    I have been going back and forth on what to do with the exhaust. I have the exhaust built only to the back of the cab while I make up my mind.

I think the diameter of the tube, the bend at the top, the height and proximity to the cab is very important.

I dont feel dirty.

18. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Now were talkin!!! :D :D :D

19. Elrusto

Elrusto

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ounce again I rest my case...[​IMG]

21. mdcolby

mdcolby

No doubt about it they did put stacks on them back in the day! Some cars they work on some they don't!

22. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

WOW 2003 LIVES AGAIN!:eek:

23. 35Harvester

35Harvester

Well...i'll share a picture of mine...perhaps a less traditional interpretation that some don't appreciate, but I like it. Afterall, thats what hot rodding is all about. If everybody limited their creativity in design to the "norms" then many of the styles that became so popular through the years would never have come to be.

Attached Files:

24. Gator

Gator

I miss Tingler...

25. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

Where is Tingler?

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Be still my heart...gorgeous.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Really grows on you, doesn't it?

28. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

True ,a beautiful truck. The pipes detract from the experience.

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The black '34 was mine, and IMO the pipes were the central feature of the whole thing. To those who like the truck, thank you.

To those of you who don't get it, I wish somebody would close the fucking thread so that everyone can GET OVER IT.

30. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

Thats exactly right. If you have the balls to use stacks, and you do it right, it will be the central feature. And its good.

Its kind of like a hot chick wearing a big hat. It takes guts. Ugly chicks cant do it and pull it off. LOL