Register now to get rid of these ads!

oil press. gauge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bogart62, Nov 14, 2012.

1. bogart62

bogart62

O.k. So I had this gauge made up for me along with a new oil press. sender.. Gauge reads zero. I tested gauge by touching both terminals of the sender, gauge goes all the way over to the other side of the face buried. I guess that tells me the gauge works. Put an ohm meter on the sender it reads 247 so I believe it is good too. When you start vehicle gauge doesn't function. Any thoughts? Thanks, Kent

2. birdman42

birdman42

sounds like the sender may be bad even though it has resistance the rheostat my not moving.

3. upspirate

upspirate

Teflon tape used and insulating the ground on the sender?

Wire continuity?

4. Jokester

Jokester

Ground wire to the dash/gauge?

5. Did you get a wiring diagram? Most OP gauges are wired with the positive side of the gauge going to switched your switched voltage and the other goes to the sending unit.Some gauges also need to be grounded. Most sending units have only one terminal that is attached to the gauge input and the ground is gotten through the sending unit body when screwed into the block. If you sender has two wires you might need to ground one as there may be no internal connection within the sender to the unit body. It would help to know what what kind of car the gauge is designed for.Who ever made the gauge should be able to help you.

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

this is only one of the reasons I never use an electrical gauge for mechanical measurements (water temp, oil press, oil temp, vacuum, etc).

Did you put Teflon® tape on the threads? That could cause the sending unit to lose its ground to the block itself. If there's only one wire, the sender needs to provide the ground. If there are two wires, one goes to a good ground.

7. bogart62

bogart62

Thanks guys. It is a 2 wire sender. I will check the ground on the sender. The company who built it for me has been rather difficult to deal with. If I can't trouble shoot it I may have to seek out another gauge rebuilder. Thanks, Kent

Attached Files:

• 036.JPG
      036.JPG
      File size:
      131.6 KB
      Views:
  8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

by the way - that is a stunningly beautiful truck you have.

9. bogart62

bogart62

Thanks propwash. Came out of AZ. After all the work was done just bolted the body and box back on. Not gonna paint it. Most fun I have had with a vehicle. No super duper paint job to worry about. Just tryin to get all this gauge business taken care of. Thanks. Kent