Register now to get rid of these ads!

30 era cars with parelle leaf springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shtterbug8, Nov 13, 2012.

1. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

looking for cool looking parelle spring cars. im thinking about using this spring setup with a drop axle. i have a 32 plymouth 5window. looking to see pictures of any model car in the 30 era. ford chevy plymouth....doesnt matter.

any opions on how to get this type of setup to look low? like to get the front end as low as possible. more than likely place the axle itself ontop of the springs verses below. should i take out a few leafs? modify frame? like stepping the frame or making the frame sweep?

2. what about doing a half spring on each side

3. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

is there a safe way to cut WHOLE springs into half springs? i know SPeedway makes some but they are super expensivc also. trying to build this car on some type of a budget....i had a car a few yrs ago which came out with some stock. what a really neat car to drive.

4. are you going to have fenders , channeled body ect? this has a lot to with options. Old plymouths have cool axles, i have seen hairpins used with them with a transvere spring.

5. Hamb member Kerry has a sweet '31 Pontiac-

[​IMG]

6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Try to find more info on Johnny Sparkle's Sedan it has parellel springs ontop the rails.

Attached Files:

7. i have a 31 chrysler cm-6 coupe. i boxed the frame and use the original springs. the axle is a ams tube with the ends bushed down to handle 38-40 ply spindles. the axle has a six inch drop.the springs are mounted under the axle. i use rear hangers that are about five inches long. the shocks are speedway friction shocks. i use a 63 corvair stearing box and stock mopar tie rods on a home made drag link. the car has a blown hemi and sits real low. the car handles real good. i dont know how to post pics but you can see a pic on the iron invasion pic site. orange and cream you cant miss it.

8. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

no fenders. trying to get a 454 bbc. would love a hemi 426 but cant get any hemi at all. so settling with the bbc.

would love to c that car racer-x

9. i dont have a 426 in the car i have a stroked 354 up to 392. the 392 and 354 and 331 chryslers are around. they dont cost all that much and would look cooler in that mopar. weight was a big factor in how my car drove. when i put on the hot heads i could tell the first time i turned out of the drive way. it was a whole new car. the heads saved 75 pounds off the front. a hemi with aluminium heads manifold headers and light weight water pump and dakota starter is lighter than a bbc.

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

11. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I think my profile has more pictures of the build, if you care. I think you can look at my old postings and find more info too. I used to post progress pictures all the time back in the day.

12. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

New pics since paint.

Attached Files:

13. kennkat

kennkat

Now that's how to get a parallel leaf car LOW!! :):):)

14. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

Sparkle. that is a totally cool awesome setup youve got on your car. never thought about doing a frame that way. how does it ride? smooth? does the rear shackel hook up the same way? looks like youve header wrapped the springs also..reason why?besides just looking cooll.

15. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

It rides just as well as any hotrod, maybe a better? I'm biased though. I've driven the living hell out of my car on every crappy back road I can find and haven't had a suspension issue yet. I used a Model A shackle for the rear of the spring. The springs are wrapped in dyed cloth, kinda like how they wrapped them in the day to retain grease. I just like the look.

There's a bit more to it, like reverse stacking the leaves and whatnot, but it's nothing too complicated. Heck, that car was my first build ever and it wasn't that bad to do. Check my old posts and I go into the suspension into better detail.

Feel free to PM me questions if you decide to go that route; I'm certainly not an expert on anything, but I'm always willing to help.

16. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are a few. All have a dropped front axle, leaf springs with a Teflon liner between each leaf and new spring hangers. All have tube shocks and ride very well. The steering has been changed out too.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

17. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

going to bring back a older thread of mine do to a thought i had earlier....im thinking about running parrelle leaf springs in the rear also...simply...its simple. has anyone on hear done this to their ROD? i know its common to see 4link setups and transverse leaf springs out there.