Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Identification Help For My New Bad Ass Speedometer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by L-Diablo, Nov 14, 2012.

1. L-Diablo

L-Diablo

i picked this up for one of my project and what caught my eye is what it says after 100 mph :D ,it has full brass back , it says nardi behind the needle along with 324-olds , what i was wondering was , the year and what model oldsmobile did this come from.

<a href="http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd481/lucky7speedshop/?action=view&amp;current=DSCN1575.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd481/lucky7speedshop/?action=view&amp;current=DSCN1574.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd481/lucky7speedshop/?action=view&amp;current=DSCN1573.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. mortecai

mortecai

the last part of the speedo's writing "gone" is just way cool. I have a 1948 and it doesnt look like that so it isn't that year :)

3. L-Diablo

L-Diablo

yeah the "gone" is what had me hooked on buying it , that is the tits haha

4. L-Diablo

L-Diablo

Have I succeeded in stumping the hamb ?

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wonder if its Nardi of steering wheel fame? Tried googling Nardi instruments and came up blank, but it seems like a good possibility. I know they have been around AT LEAST since the late fifties...

6. Do you know it's origin? HRP

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No mention of instruments here, but thats my guess. Its also possible they didnt actually MAKE instruments, but had them made by someone else and sold them under the Nardi brand name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Nardi

8. L-Diablo

L-Diablo

i do not know the origin , it says 324 olds behind the needle , i picked it up at a flea market ,falcongeorge thats what i thought also that it was made by enrico nardi but i also came up blank ,

9. Ha Ha!

I gotta get me one of these.

10. I was wondering the same thing, P.Nardi actually.

OK just did some research on that speedo, it was part of a French industrial art exhibit at the Louvre. Gone is the artists signature and it is pronuonced Go-Nay. :D

11. Yep, my bet is it's a one-off. Caint get any rarer (or cooler) than that!

12. bwahahahahahaha aaaw shit!:D

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And in 1945 when Monsieur Gone was found to have collaborated with the Nazis, the Briish army confiscated his speedometer and installed it on a Bren carrier whose speedo had failed; hence the arrow, which is merely the broad Arrow which has been applied to British military property for hundreds of years.
    Yessir, LOTS of history in that thing!

My take: Some high school kid named Nardi found out what he could do with the silk screening stuff in art class and re-faced the speedo in his short. Hence the engine ID and the little joke at the bottom. Show us the back...mebbe we can figure out what it was.

14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

It's the speedo from the first time traveling DeLorean.

15. L-Diablo

L-Diablo

<a href="http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd481/lucky7speedshop/?action=view&amp;current=DSCN1583.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd481/lucky7speedshop/?action=view&amp;current=DSCN1587.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    it also has a reverse more decorative side beind it
    <a href="http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd481/lucky7speedshop/?action=view&amp;current=DSCN1582.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  16. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

first thing I'd do is see if a US square drive cable even fits that thing - if it doesn't then the NARDI name would seem more reasonable. If it does fit, then 324 Olds would have some pre-eminence in researching the provenance (if any). My guess is that it was custom made. The numerals seem like they could be the "rub on" style that was used before computers came along, the arrow seems hand-done and if you stop and think about it, there's really no relationship between the steering wheel Nardi and anything with a 324 cu in Olds V8. Could be a hot rodder from a long time ago named Nardi....but most hot rodders wouldn't have stopped at 100mph

17. Custom... Look down the hole in the last pic you posted. Someone reversed the face, you can see the original "70" showing down there. Still friggin cool...

(DOH! Missed photo caption...)

18. Actually, the artist was drunk on cheap wine that he was drinking while living in his old converted school bus, making custom knives and pinstipping Deux Chevaux's for the French Hot Rodding elite, and misspelled it - it was supposed to say Go-Nad.
    of course the artist was Vaughn Douche

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I would say that tears it. Bruce nailed it.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

He didnt cut anything off and mail it to a Vegas hooker, did he?

21. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Can we start a "ask Bruce Lancaster" thread? :)

22. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

1947 Ford different face.

23. the script inside looks like 47 but the back of the unit is a little different.
    [​IMG]

24. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

True, the back does looks different, the bezels the same and the tabs are clocked in the same position it looks like. Cool as hell whatever it is

25. L-Diablo

L-Diablo

nice this looks plausible maybe the original Stewart Warner face was flipped , ill try to look inside with a light to see if its equal to the ford , still very cool if it was custom made , one off's are always bad ass, i wonder if anyone with a 1947 ford speedometer has the same reverse as my front.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  26. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

The art deco steps on the front of the bezel look the same too as does the
    needle.

Its freekin COOL!

27. And the odometer is on the bottom of the needle, not the top.

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yep. '47-8 Ford. VERY distinctive graphics, distinctive rim, and of course the female thread drive in back is also distictively early Ford!
    I should have nailed it from just the rim; I came home from the hospital I was born in in my '48 Ford, and have spent about a zillion miles staring at the speedo.

29. alchemy

alchemy

It's a Stewart Warner probably originally from a '48ish Ford. Somebody had some fun when the re-screened it.

30. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Probably just turned the entire face upside down, and then when he was done customizing it - he reinstalled to odometer in an upright position. Being able to see the "70" through that hole supports this contention.