Register now to get rid of these ads!

start without a flywheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 270dodge, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

It had better be a short race too!

2. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Yep quarter mile.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Yes it did have a flexplate on it hooked up to the converter

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

This bullshit is getting coo coo.

5. pay no attention to me , i'm just building my post count

6. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

What are you doing?

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I rarely start my model a with the flywheel. The battery is going dead or the starter sucks. but who cares its got a freaking hand crank to start it.

Oh and post count+

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Oh I see, I bet it was from the Hydraulic lifters being lighter without the oil in them.

9. Vintage Warrior

Vintage Warrior
    from TX

Can't believe I wasted time reading this thread.

10. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

With no information to add you got 1 more post-- good job!

11. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

You know you'll be back to FNG when this thread gets deleted, right? :rolleyes:

12. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Yep some 40 or so replys and 3 reasonable answers

13. here is some info.....why don't you try it and see what happens? take pictures and tell us all about it

14. Grumbler

Grumbler

I'd like to know how a carb lying on its side can start and rev up an engine

15. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I have cranked an engine without a flywheel. A 216 Chevy 6cyl could be hand cranked with the factory supplied hand crank inserted in the harmonic balancer. I had worked on one and we had pulled the trans, clutch, and flywheel off. I just wanted to see if I could actually start it with the crank and I did. Running it without the flywheel for a few seconds didn't hurt that pile of junk.

16. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I think he has won guys......

17. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I have started quite a few different engines on an engine stand with no flywheel.
    I have an adapter that goes in the chuck of my 1 inch drill motor.
    It takes a 1 inch drive socket. Apply the socket to the crank nut
    and hang on. Those 1 inch drive motors have enough torque to easily break an arm.
    This basic idea is used to start F1, Indy cars and dragsters except they have flywheels.

18. You could start an old engine with a hand crank like this old Chevy six. See the middle of the vibration dampner, that's where the crank handle would go. Yes I have the crank handle for it.

Attached Files:

19. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

I thank you for offering a reasonble answer to the original question.

20. ... some people's kids.

21. I think the greater question should be, "Why did you pass on a running Max Wedge for 150 bux?"
    1,065 posts

22. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Another good answer without posturing, bullshit or sarcasim thank you.

23. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

$150 was alot of money in 65 and Max Wedges were relatively plentiful.I am not counting the highly revered numbers as some are empty.

24. Wedges came out in '62 and by '65 a shitload of them were laying on their side (with no flywheel) in junk yards? .... where?

25. Kramer

Kramer

I get to kill two birds with one post. I get an increase in my post count, and I get rid of that annoying message that says I haven't posted in a while. Life is good. :D

26. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

I did not say that there was a shitload of them. I did say that they were relativly plentiful and that is true. They were outclassed by the hemi cars in 64. Some of those cars got wrecked,ya know. I never said that the engine was started without a flywheel. Read the OP.

27. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Well now you did not have an answer to the question but posted anyway! Did you do that to increase your count or to help answer? Ya know this is a forum where people can ask questions about cars and such and I hoped that someone would have an answer. I failed to grill the guy at that junkyard and that fact has bothered me for a while. Why post to this when you have no knowlege or help? Out of the 50 or so replies about 5 have been helpfull and 45 are bullshit. Rank yourself in that area.Why in the hell would you post to this if you have no pertinant information exepet to gain another number? I could care less about the numbers. Do you feel threatened by my 52?

28. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Yea well my knees are just buckling because of that threat. Do you really think that this forum is about a person being able to ask a reasonable question about cars or is it about gaining numbers? Piss on the numbers I do not care. But you must feel threatend by my 54! I've had 50 or so answers on my subject and 45 or so are just like yours- bullshit. To the 5 I say congratulations and welcom to the HAMB.

29. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

The op isn't talking about an IL6 or a low compression mill that you can crank by hand, he's talking hi-comp max wedge, so on that alone I'd say NO it's bullshit, without a flex plate or flywheel (which apart from the weight thing they're essentially the same thing) and the carb on it's side, it's bull, same with you emptying your oil to gain a tenth, if THAT worked ALL the top racers would be doing it.

Scotty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.