Register now to get rid of these ads!

Upholstrey Guys, Pfaff 1221 ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomb, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Abomb

Abomb

I found a Pfaff 1221 machine for sale, pretty cheap. It does have a walking foot, or compound feed. Will this machine do a simple pleated interior ? The owner has done nothing heavier than jeans, so I'm wondering if it's even a commercial type machine ??? Searching the internet leaves me with more questions, so I thought I'd try here.

Thanks

2. 34 Hound

34 Hound

I used to run a shop and we had a Pfaff walking foot with a 2 hp motor and a clutch and the head alone weighed 25 or 30 pounds. It would sew through 1/8" cardboard, 4 layers of leather.....

The 1221 is not anything like mine. A few layers of cloth/vinyl shouldn't be a problem, but this is nobody's idea of an automotive upholsterer's machine.

3. kennkat

kennkat

Not familiar with that model, but the important dimension for doing pleated auto seats is the "lift" of the "presser foot", I had an old singer that was a problem, only about 1/4" lift. I would surely go check out the pfaff...

4. Abomb

Abomb

I saw that one, then I read another review / comment thing that said it worked well with "garment leather", which sounds to me as though it might have the power to do the trick. I'm not looking to get into the upholstrey business, just to do my own stuff every so often....It's $150, but I don't want to shell that out if it won't do a satisfactory job

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Garment leather is very thin. Before my wife bought a heavy duty Pfaff ($100 at a comercial auction) she used a standard Singer household machine. It would do a couple layers of vinyl and trim on carpet for an occasional job on our own cars. At $150, IMO, Id pass.

6. I know you said it has a walking foot, but that looks like a standard household machine to me. A true walking foot helps pull the fabrics through the machine, without it, you often fight the fabrics trying to bind/bunch up at different rates.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  7. Abomb

Abomb

I've already got an older singer home machine, and was given a really old clutch driven singer commercial machine, but niether of them have the walking foot. I looked up this machine on youtube, it does appear to have a top feeding foot. I think you're right though, it would be just one more machine that's not quite the right tool for the job...thanks.

8. With shops closing their doors right and left, look online for the real deal. I see true upholstery machines every 2-3 weeks in the under $200 range on CL, and thats with me living in a podunk town. I bet bigger cities there is a lot more to choose from. A lot more sellers than buyers right now.

Split the cost with other hot rod friends since you guys would just be using it for personal stuff.

9. F&J

F&J

Do you know for sure it does not have a walking foot? Those old Singers, need to have material pressed under the foot, before the foot will walk. In other words, the contact/or grip of the teeth in the lower part, is what makes the upper foot walk.

10. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

11. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Do a youtube search on Pfaff 145 or 545...they run $700-1000 used and there is a reason they cost that much more than a 1221. The 145 and 545 can sew a leather belt, and were made for automotive upholstery work.
    Save your money and get something built to last.

my .02

12. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

Hells hr is correct,that is a home machine that does have a topfeed foot BUT it in no way is heavy duty enough to sew upholstery.I have been in the Industrial Sewing Machine biz for 32 yrs & the Pfaff,145,545,1245.Singer 111w,211w or G ,Consew 225,226,Juki 562,563.
    So look on your craiglist in ur area & if you have any questions or need parts let me know.

13. This is SOOOOOO WRONG...A walking foot is operated IN CONJUNCTION with the lower feed...not DEPENDING on it

14. F&J

F&J

Come show me on TWO of these old Singers. The foot WILL NOT WALK UNTIL there is contact with the lower part with material in between.

You don't know shit about MY two machines.

15. Maybe if you post the model numbers on your machines,someone could tell you the problem..like I've only been working on machines for 52 years

16. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

Got me beat,I've been working on Industrial Machines for 32 yrs

17. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

One thing that we can all agree on may be that we don't want Abomb to waste his money on no "girlie" machine that he (or she) will ultimately regret. Sounds like a great deal until the real upholstery machine is found. In the Los Angeles area there is a silent glut of machines sitting in garages that need cleaning up and put back into service. Having once been a canvas room guy at several Hollywood studios, I used many types of machines and learned the differences. Of my machines i kept a Pfaff 145 that threw a great stitch at modest speed. The old style G bobbin is small by todays standard but the walking foot would wade through many strange mixes of goods. Wouldn't trade it for a gross of over rated household machines like the 1221. Good Luck: Fred A

18. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

yep,don't waste your money .if it don't have a clutch motor or servo,it won't live up to expectation.i use a 145 h4,bought almost 50 years ago.also have a 145 h3 and 1245.guess i'm a horderD2

19. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

20. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Well,it might be awhile.i modified it to have 1" lift and i use it most,the others are backups:D

21. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  22. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

MY $.02 .....pass on it . Unless your ole lady needs a machine to sew your shirts

23. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Kustom.Falcon has what looks like a 60 year old high speed dressmaker's machine. Looks Singer, but singer was widely copied in that era, primarily from Japan. That baby can really rip when the motor allows the control from an unworn clutch. Little bobbin limited the length of seam, but not by speed. Good Luck: Fred A

24. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

Fred, I appreciate that. Like I said, my dad is a furniture guy since he was 14. He picked it up for nothing, but we're all curious to know the make on it. Almost no markings whatsoever. My dad uses a 145 h4 for day-to-day work.

###
    Kustom Falcon Build Thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734282