Register now to get rid of these ads!

Worn Synchro Blues... Flathead to 39 Trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thunderbirdesq, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

I just bump in to this. this is a great discussion!! I love my 39 trans! We have had lots of fun together. But I will never down shift it from 3rd to 2nd at speed again, that led's to a lot of work. lol

2. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

that must of been a long ride home driving in 2nd. awesome pic!

3. Elrod

Elrod

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes. I am also guessing I have too much end play as well, and I'm pretty sure I may have over shifted, and I like to drive with my hand on the shifter in 3rd, in esence pulling it down toward me. Probably not a good idea. Driving this thing is too much fun
    I will try to dig up some more shims from the parts transmissions I've been collecting for a while for the back end of the shaft. I have the Mac VanPelt book and haven't turned to that yet for advice since this just happened, and my usual initial reaction is to be frustrated, push car into garage and shut door and walk away, and then go back a week later when I'm cooled off and really dig in to solve the problem.

I'm just glad I didn't grenade my Lincoln gears.

4. 32koop

32koop

great thread , will come in usefull as i'm in the process of pulling my trans after destroying first with the red mist came down ... :eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

It takes a few seconds for the disk to slow down even if the clutch releases well.
    The 2nd gear first trick fixes that.

A "Bent" clutch disk will drag even if the p=plate lifts 0.030". they are easy to straighten

Some of the fancy lubes ( Red Line ) actually can help.

6. GinettaG12P

GinettaG12P
    BANNED

No one has mentioned the possibility of misalignment if the engine/transmission interface. If the crankshaft and transmission input shaft are not exactly coaxial, the clutch cannot disengage entirely. Essentially the clutch disk will be cocked, so that it will always drag on the pressure plate/flywheel. This will cause grinding when engaging first and reverse. Misalignment can occur when the face of the block and/or transmission case is not machined exactly perpendicular to the crankshaft axis.

7. GinettaG12P

GinettaG12P
    BANNED

No one has mentioned the possibility of misalignment of the engine/transmission interface. If the crankshaft and transmission input shaft are not exactly coaxial, the clutch cannot disengage entirely. Essentially the clutch disk will be cocked, so that it will always drag on the pressure plate/flywheel. This will cause grinding when engaging first and reverse. Misalignment can occur when the face of the block and/or transmission case is not machined exactly perpendicular to the crankshaft axis.

8. banjorear

banjorear

I guess it's possible, but I haven't run into anyone who had that issue with a 59AB series block and 48 or 78 series case.

Anything is possible, but Ford was pretty good at checking things to make sure they were at least passible before sending them down the line.

9. GARY?

GARY?

Never thought of that one. I know that folks use the "stuff a washer between the bell housing and trans at one of the mounting bolts" trick to kill the chatter sometimes.

Wouldn't that would be a tough one to check ?