Register now to get rid of these ads!

Passionate about cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Nov 11, 2012.

1. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Rocky, youre a bad ass. Mght sound cliche, but wish i had a father like you

2. FordMaverickFanatic

FordMaverickFanatic
    from Taylor, MI

I say go and further your education. I plan on going into Automotive Engineering. This way I'll work with cars/trucks, and then I can go home and work on my cars/trucks. lol Even though at work I'd be playing with new fuel infection, DOHC, and plastic-y restricted junk, I still will go home and play with good ol' Carbuerators and pushrods. haha It might be tough through schooling, but I believe it will all pay off...

3. You're 21, life is L O N G; don't skip this opportunity to get a good education!

With a good education you'll be able to have options and choices for the rest of your life. If you quit and go directly into building cars the next thing you know you'll wake up and be 50 years old with a wife, kids, a mortgage...and NO options. (and by then who's to say that you won't be sick of building cars for not much financial reward)

It's much easier to get that degree while you're young and have your whole life ahead of you than to try to start from scratch when you're older. It's a concept called delayed gratification and it works. Best of luck to you!

4. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

A quick bit about me...

UCONN undergrad in marketing, Penn State MBA in Marketing, 10+ years in consumer package goods marketing, now I own a 1-800GOTJUNK? franchise. I'm telling you this because I learned that...

1) Education is NEVER wasted - Everything I learned with my degrees I put to use in running my business. Get a degree, you will not regret it.

2) Know thyself - Both my parents went to Ivy League schools, so I took that path I thought I should have. Turns out that I hate wearing a fucking tie, thought that most of my co workers and bosses were assholes, and I hated the work. I'm a hands-on guy at heart, and now get dirty every day.
    Look at yourself in the mirror and ask what kind of person are you REALLY? It may take you some time, and a few different paths, but once you make that discovery, your life becomes a whole lot easier.

3) Look at a RELATED field - like cars? Maybe work for a supplier, aftermarket company, or the like. You'll stay in the industry and always be close to what interests you.

4) If you want to make big bucks, you will have to work for yourself, unless you want your job to become an all-consuming endeavor (i.e. 80 hours a week).

5) Quality of life is IMPORTANT - Whatever you do, make sure it's a field that doesn't require 24/7 attention. When my trucks come in for the day, I'M DONE!! Quality time will become VITAL when you have kids, and that old expression about no one wishing they'd worked more when on their deathbed is true.

6) Don't be afraid to change - If you try something and it sucks, change as best you can. Nothing sucks more than getting up every morning for a job you hate.

Hope this helps a bit...

Chris

5. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

go to school. if you dont' want a suit job find a career that works for you--perhaps something that could transfer to hot rods later--machinst, CNC etc--hell business or marketing would be good too.

I speak from experience. finished my masters (in a totally unrelated field--Anthropology) then in a stint between "suit" jobs opened my shop. it was a great experience and i'm glad I did it, but like others have said--it's hard work--and feast or famine when you're starting things up. ultimately I went back to my education (my back just couldn't handle building cars full time), but I still do side work--it lets me do what I enjoy without all the out of pocket for myself--and the side money doesn't hurt. there's always a market for someone skilled and proficient at panel work--I still paint, but much prefer straight panel work--it's what I like doing.

oh yeah--FWIW even at this stage in my career (I'm a museum Director) I'm considering an MBA. You can never be too prepared.

just the musings of some dude who likes old cars here--takem for what they're worth.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  6. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

and I learned that in making your hobby your job you no longer have a hobby.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My son likes to work with his hands and loves cars and trucks and bikes etc.

He struggled for a while and worked a few jobs and then enrolled in school for a 2 year accounting program.

After a year he realized that his heart was not in it and he left school.

He decided to start a trade. He went into electrical and found an employer willing to apprentice him.

Here in Canada (Alberta) we have an excellent apprenticeship program and after 4 years of on the job experience and school training sessions at the trade college he now has his Journeyman Electricians ticket.

He is only 27 and last year earned well over $115K. He works for a good company has good benefits and will build towards a retirement pension.

His base hourly rate is $43 per hour presently as well as overtime and bonuses.

So there you have it, he now has money for his passions, he has a new sled and a big block powered race truck as well as a 95 Mustang twin turbo project.

He got married a couple years ago and they bought a nice house with a large garage so he has his own toy box :D

As you can see the suit and tie asshole is not the only route to go.

I myself worked as a Journeyman Industrial Pressure Welder on construction and maintenance and earned very good money for over 25 years. For the past 15 years I have been teaching Apprentice Welders full time at the trade school where I will stay now till I retire.

If you are a creative hands on guy a career in the trades might be for you.

You will often make more money than the suit and tie types, be smarter and happier too :)

8. Sorry It has taken me so long to respond I have just been tied up with an Economics paper. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone. I spend a long time reading and re-reading all of you're posts. I take them all to heart.

I am planning on finishing the program I am in now. I as well believe in finishing what you started. I am currently looking into some design courses for next year. Seems like there is so much out there nowadays who knows what to go with.

I will never loose this passion. My first word was car and as soon as I raised enough money I started dragging cars home well before I had my license.

I appreciate all of the help guys!

Thank you very much!

Mitchell de Moor

9. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Mitchell, If you want any advice on a career in design feel free to PM me.

Felix

10. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Go get that education and find you a good paying job that has benefits. That way you konw you will have a steady income and then do some car stuff on the side and see how it goes. It's hard to deal with the public sometimes and you don't need the headaches at a young age. Take you time and you will be just fine. Best of luck to you......