Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Business Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53chevtrev, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Just noticed your build and dam does your craftsmanship really show! Nice work, im subscribed!

2. loving the build............subscribed :)

3. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

Perhaps an angle that matches the b pillar angle. And then angle the headlamps as well.. that would really make it flow.

By the way, that chop is fabulous

4. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

Lights are killer Trev! I gotta throw in my .02 here with the angle thing.. I can agree with people and saying that an angle would be sweet, but I think the quarters look long enough now, if you add a little rake to the bottom of the tails, they would be super long looking, so you'd really have to back the tails up (into the front) so far they'd look goofy, So I think what you have going is going to work best.. I'm excited to see both them in there with the bumper fabbed, ect. Outside.. Again, Great Craftsmanship Trevor!

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

Here was my thought on it.... NO disrespect at all, I totally dig this build!!

Attached Files:

6. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

I think angling the bottom of the tail light as much as the b pillars is too much, but I understand where you are coming from. Thanks on the chop!

Im with you on this one. Thanks again for the props and I will push on as fast as I can to get these lights finished.

Thanks for the insight chaddilac. I understood what you were telling me and that photoshop is a good idea. I think the way I have set the bottom panel will work best and look good. Angling the bottom out would require me to push my bumper further out and create a large gap between my over ride and the trunk which i don't want. I am hoping to get a large amount of work done this weekend and maybe as the weather is clear, I can roll the 53 outside for a side profile shot to show the progress. No disrespect taken and thanks for your opinion.

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

I think it'll work once you get an outside view going. Can't wait to see it!!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. dniemi

dniemi

Just went through the whole build and am impressed. You have a good eye and skills also. Subscribed and can't wait to see how it looks when it is done.

9. Metal work is great.
    I think the final color choice is going to make or break this one.

10. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Got a full day on the car today. I cut out the upper trunk radius and moved it out to line up with the new tail light bezel.

[​IMG]

Marked out a template and rolled up a filler piece to the new contour.

[​IMG]

Here is the new upper piece held in place to check a good fit.

[​IMG]

New piece tacked in place, need to still build a little filler piece for the bottom gap.

[​IMG]

Finished fitting new piece and cleaned up the whole tail light area before moving on to cutting the bottm and finished near the bumper end.

[​IMG]

Got to roll the car outside to take a few photos. Here is a side shot, it still is hard to see the angle. Im happy with the way it looks and moving onto the passenger side on monday. I do not want to weld it completely yet in case I want to tweak anything once the passenger side is done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This project is at the one year mark today. I took this picture November 10, 2011 when I started taking my car apart.

[​IMG]

Here is the car as it sits today. Still have a long way to go but I am happy with the progress today.

[​IMG]

rytang likes this.
  11. poorboy

poorboy

great job, cant wait to see both sides done!

12. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thanks man, getting the two sides to be perfectly symmetrical will be my only challenge. Should take less time to finish the passenger side.

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looking awesome!!!! Keep posting pics, seeing them gets me ready to do my 51 coupe!!!

14. BadLuck

BadLuck

dammit i love this car.. if i didnt find my hardtop 7 years ago.. THIS would be the car i would have! keep at it buddy, this is gonna be a badass ride.

15. lucky53

lucky53

Lookin' Trev!
    Keep up the hard work!

Lucky

16. Johnnymurt69

Johnnymurt69

Man looks good,I love the 55 tail lights

17. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Got most of the day on the car today. I first tweaked the bumper a bit as it was a tiny bit off from side to side. Then moved onto fabricating the tail light bucket and fitting it onto the car. I spent a bit of time getting the light fitted in the proper position, I used my laser level to get it as square as possible and cross referenced the angles to the drivers side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabricated the upper outta panel and tacked it into position with a bit of hammer work its pretty damn close to where I want it to be. Next week I should have the lower section installed and start the inner trunk radius'. Ordered a new set of 55 chrome bezels off ebay and a set of Lee bubble lenses. Should look awesome!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  18. RayMiller

RayMiller

Wow I was kinda skeptical at first when I say the 55 tail lights being extended into the quarters but man that looks really cool, I also love the chop on the top!

19. El Carne's 53'

El Carne's 53'
    from Oceanside

so legit. nicely done brother...Meat

20. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Coming out nice....

21. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

It's too Legit to Quit, that's for sure!

22. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thanks a lot ray. Im glad that you are digging the extended quarters with the 55 lights, Im really happy with how it is starting to look.

Thanks buddy

Thanks eric

Are you quoting Hot Rod? cause if you are, thats awesome, love that movie!

23. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

my favorite thread on the hamb...

24. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Wow thank you dude!

25. deeddude

deeddude

I've been following this build from the beginning. This is a bad ass build. After seeing the lower control arms you built I knew a real fabricator was doing this build. The chop and other metal work is just down right awesome. Keep up the great work, it motivates me to try to find the time to work on my ride.

I have to agree with <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]</st1:City>dallas, </ST1:pthis is one of my favorite builds here.<O:p</O:p

26. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thank you for the very kind words! I was disappointed I never got to use those control arms with the stock front end but I'm glad I upgraded to a more modern front suspension. Glad you like my build and hope to see more progress on yours soon!

27. You going to bring it to World of Wheels in Feb? (Tradex)

28. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

No I won't be, hopefully by February I will have the body back off and on my rotisserie finishing the underside and chassis for paint. Kingsmen will be there for sure tho. Stop by and say hello.

29. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

Really dig the tails, great build!

30. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Coming along nicely- those tail lights are sweet.