Register now to get rid of these ads!

1941 zephyr 4dr sedan custom project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jick, Nov 12, 2012.

1. jick

jick
    from london

Hi all,
    I thought i'd better start a idea's / build thread about my 41 Zephyr project....ive posted a couple of photo's on the 48-52 Customs thread but i dont want to hi-jack it with too much discussion about my own thing......

its going to be a long term deal, and i have another couple of cars in the works right now that i need to concentrate on first,but over this winter I hope to make it solid again....the floors and sills are completely shot, then maybe next summer start some custom work.
    here it is on collection.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. jick

jick
    from london

this fantastic photoshop is by JamesD on here and it shows where i'am hoping to go with this build......who says a 4 door cant be cool?
    [​IMG]

3. jick

jick
    from london

one thing I've never quite liked about the 41 Zephyr is the stock headlights, I've always loved the 53 Buick ones, and was thinking about using them on this sedan....i've been looking at the old coachbuilders like Saoutchik, as well as the obvious traditional customisers like Barris etc and my thoughts were to do something like this.....

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. jick

jick
    from london

Hmmm, sorry about the layout there!
    I'll use the App I think.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1352748815.222415.jpg

I'm not getting much positive feedback on the headlight idea at the moment...getting some great alternatives suggested....I'd really welcome any more constructive comments..

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

I don't really think they fit the car. My suggestion would be for you to french in the originals or to flush mount them.

6. jick

jick
    from london

Gulbenkian Rolls Royce....
    [​IMG]

7. With the Buick lights you're starting to mix and match eras it seems. They're more suited for mid to late 50's while the Lincoln has pre war vibe. I'd go with something that works with the flowing lines. 39 or 40 Fomoco would work IMO. Cool car nice score.

8. jick

jick
    from london

well you're certainly in good company!
    i've seen the stock lights frenched in and i really dont like it....to me there seems to be too much rim and too small a lense.

a small side issue is that the wings need quite a lot of work around the headlights, the stock rims i have are unuseable and the correct 41 Zephyr parts are kinda hard to find here in the UK!
    With that said, i really want to do something more creative than that.

I'm interested to hear why people dont think they work? i think the shape lends itself nicely to the rest of the front end styling?

9. jick

jick
    from london

Hey Mr Buddha, thanks for your thoughts....the difference in era's makes sense...
    with regard the 40 Ford headlights, Janne suggested the same to me and posted this awesome car as an example....i cant fault it, thats for sure.....but they just dont make my mule jump...know what i mean?
    [​IMG]

10. If you are planning to build a wild over the top show custom the Buicks might work but if your plans are to build something like your photoshop they do not fit that build style. As mentioned it is a mix of eras's that just doesn't work.

11. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

i really like your idea to build this as a chopped 4-door, i see your point on not liking the stock headlights, you might consider 41 ford headlights-i think they would keep with the classy early-custom style of the photoshop above. the buick headlights would really be all wrong for your car in mho...

12. Don't make your mule jump, ha ha never heard that one. I've got a thing for the Buick lights too. They certainly don't look bad there. I'm just thinking along established customizing history.

13. jick

jick
    from london

thanks men....haha......maybe i'll rethink the lights, i'm building the car for myself, obviously, but i dont want it to look half-assed or ill-conceived.

14. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

That photochopped sedan is the nuts. The proportions are sooooo much better than the stock sedan.
    What are your plans for running gear, drivetrain etc.

Paul.

15. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

How about 1939 Ford Tear-drops? They are one of my favorite headlamp designs of all time, and would really work here. Here's a quick Photoshop of them on a '41 Continental...

[​IMG]

16. jick

jick
    from london

hey Paul...yeah, its an amazing transformation isnt it!

the trunk area will probably be the hardest part, it will need a lot of reworking to flow with the roof.....i've been looking at a lot of fleetline chops for tips and inspiration.
    the slight fadeaway front fender really helps to break up the massive flanks too.
    as for driveline....i'm not sure yet, i have a nice 1951 331 cadillac engine set aside for my 29 coupe, but it sure would fill the engine bay nicely in the Zephyr.....

17. jick

jick
    from london

thanks for that RHooker.....those look very nice.
    the weird thing is i really dont like the 40 Ford lights, generally I much prefer the '39s......but the 40 Fords do look good on that green Zephyr.....

18. 'Mo

'Mo

I guess you saw this one on Rikster's site?

[​IMG]

For lights,maybe something based on '37 Ford lenses would work.
    James Hetfield's Ford may be a bit modern, but has a coach-built flavor.

[​IMG]

19. Squablow

Squablow

Love the project and love the photoshop, if you can get it to look like that, you're golden. I agree that the Buick lights are pretty but not era-correct for your particular build, and I like the idea of '37 Ford teardrop headlights. They're big enough to eat up some real estate on those massive front fenders and they still have a similar shape to the Buick ones you like.

A relatively simple photoshop should be able to nail it down. I look forward to more updates on this project.

20. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

21. Another quick and dirty chop, so you can see a different angle.

If you told me about the Buick ligths I´d say "ewwww".... but they look pretty good in your mock up.

[​IMG]

22. jick

jick
    from london

Hey JamesD.......

I had a busy-ass day at work today but whilst I was having some lunch i took a quick look at the HAMB on my phone and saw this post....
    ..I've had a massive smile on my face all afternoon.....thats exactly what I want!
    Thank-you so much for taking the time to do that, its hugely appreciated.
    oh...and im pleased you like the lights!

A little history on the car....it came into the UK in March of this year from New York, obviously a barn find,it changed hands quickly a couple of times before ending up with my friend Wayne of the Intergalactic Custom Shop (Dragsterbus on here) who very kindly gave me a great deal on it!

it must have been stored on dirt/grass, and it had a load of weird animals living in it so the seats, floors, sills,door bottoms are shot....but apart from the obvious damage to the front fenders there isnt a dent on it....really nice and straight and the original paint has polished up quite nicely where i've tried....so, my plan is to get it done exactly like the photoshop above, patch in the original paint when its chopped etc and get it on the road....almost have it look like an re-discovered custom

the ultimate goal is to have it beautifully painted etc, but if i aim for that now it will off the road for years....

23. No problem, glad to make someone happy. Wish i´d had time to slap some whitewalls on there now. Ah well. :eek:

24. jick

jick
    from london

And maybe a sombrero?!

25. That'll look sweet chopped!

26. farmer12

farmer12

Agree!

27. [​IMG]
    Straightening the line along the door bottoms would look good. They always look dented to me as original.

28. jick

jick
    from london

Brilliant stuff James!
    I agree about the bottom edge.... There was a little discussion about that on Mr Hetfields Zephyr, your photoshop is a definite improvement!

29. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

sweet car good look

30. koolkemp

koolkemp

I really love James rendition he has a great eye when it comes to making a custom look "right" !!