Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 4dr sedan conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 68hillbilly, Jul 17, 2011.

1. 68hillbilly

68hillbilly
    from KENTUCKY

Anybody ever use a 40 ford 4dr to make a p/u truck? they used to do this on model a's frequently. any experience or suggestions appreciated.

2. DrJ

DrJ

3. 68hillbilly

68hillbilly
    from KENTUCKY

COOL, I believe these were called utes.? I was thinking more of a traditional seperate bed more like a us built truck. thanks

4. anteek

anteek

One of the most elegant '40 pickups in the early '60's was a converted sedan. It was gold with a little white and featured in RnC in the early '60's. It still goes to events in Southern california. So much nicer than a pickup cab.

5. .....I remember that truck. It was a very nicely done piece. I'll have to dig through my old R&C's now and try to find that issue. :)....Don.

6. .... You're absolutely right. It would look much better with American passenger car fenders altered to fit.

7. Yep we Aussies call them a Ute, short for Utility,...that one needs a bit of TLC

8. 68hillbilly

68hillbilly
    from KENTUCKY

i knew the back of the cab area would be the most challeging part was thinking of using the back of cab area from another truck. maybe 30's thru 47 . would have to take a lot of measurements to get the one most suited to the car /truck. was hoping maybe someone had actually done one and could tell what they used to make it. thanks for the info . if you find the picture of the one in old rod and custom mag I would love to see it. was planning on a regular truck with seperate bed and modified or different fenders on back. just thought the car front clip would look really good.

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Only a "hillbilly" would do it.. OH, I'm sorry..........

10. Kinky6

Kinky6

This may be one of those "just because you can, doesn't mean you should kinda things". :confused:

Have you thought about just selling the body, w/ or w/o the frame, and then buying a '40 or '41 pickup? Maybe go on Fordbarn.com and see if someone would trade? Sell it at the Nats in Loo-a-vull in a couple of weeks?

Unless, of course, you want to rebuild it into a Coupe Ute w/ a five window cab, then I'm totally down with that. ;)

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

11. 68hillbilly

68hillbilly
    from KENTUCKY

truth is I already have a nice stock 40 fordor deluxe , I also have a very decent 4dr body complete. really just thinking out loud to get an idea what others have done. and what could be done . I will not cut the car up and destroy it. thanks

12. vanherrb

vanherrb

do it, to hell with the naysayers, ,,, they are nobody,,