Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are the bumper things called?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xtremek, Nov 13, 2012.

1. xtremek

xtremek

So my in-laws have this rotting '54 Chevy sitting out in the woods and it has a cool visor on it. I was educating the wife on it's value and the FIL says "Yeah they were big. That and the Van** bumper somethings were the ultimate accessories back in the day!" I didn't catch what the name was and I've never seen them. Any help?

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Continental Kit?

3. Phil1934

Phil1934

4. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

I'm betting he was referring to the Dagmars, those b00b like things sticking out of mid to late 50's front bumpers. Dagmar was an actress, but I'll bet there was a Van-something actress who was also, um, endowed.

5. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Mamie Van Doren?
    Paul

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Van Doren is what he likely said - also a busty actress of the day.

7. 5window

5window

First,finish Googling Mamie Van Doren and Dagmar and collect yourself. They really knew how to make bras back in the day. Then, maybe describe the thingies you saw-front or back bumper,shape etc. Continental kits were often options, Dagmars (never heard them called anything else and I was very attentative to those things then-ok,still am :) ) were standard equipment.

8. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Well , did ya take the visor with ya ?

9. They were called Van Auken grille or bumper guards. Typically it was a tall pair of center guards which mounted over the factory bumper guards but were as tall as the grille assembly and had knobs on the top of the uprights. These were stamped "Van Auken" and I think were made in Chicago, IL. The rest of the assembly consisted of a pipe tying the uprights together and two more pipes running to outer bumper bolts to protect the outside corners of the grille and park lamps. All pipes and guards were chrome plated.

10. rgfloor

rgfloor
    from oh

You mean like these?
    Van Auken.

Attached Files:

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

StillOutThere is probably correct - now that I reread the original post, he's talking about a 54 Chev - Dagmar was NOT involved. I'll bet that Van Auken was exactly what the guy said, as those accessories were quite popular on early 50s cars.

dj

12. xtremek

xtremek

It was VanAukens. I didn't take the visor yet. The FIL is adamant about not parting the car out. "Take the whole thing or let it rot." I just got the 8n he gave us running(sat for well over 20years according to the wife). I've got to get my '03 F150 S'crew back on all 8's, my '93 Saturn running(crank position sensor?) and sold and then the wife'll let me drag it home and I'll scrap it out.

13. xtremek

xtremek

Dagmar and Van Doren could poke an eye out with those things:D

14. 5window

5window

eyes :):)

15. or do you mean the over riders ? 53 and 54 chevys didnt really have dagmars those were on caddys and 57 chevys

16. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Bumper Overrides...