Register now to get rid of these ads!

Caddy 390 help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big daddy Raleigh, Nov 13, 2012.

1. big daddy Raleigh

big daddy Raleigh
    from Denver CO

Hey guys I'm looking at getting a caddy 390 for my model a build. What should I look for and what would be a good price? What would be the best Trans to put behind it? Thanks for your experience and $.02 worth!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Well for starters there are two Cadillac 390s. The early ones - '59 to '62 and the later one from '63. The later 63 390 is less desired, one-year only engine. It is also lighter.

There are several kits to put a more modern TH350, TH400 or 700R4 behind the earlier ones. The original hydramatic was a tough transmission, but it needs all the correct linkage, and carb to make it work right. People have built thier own linkage to hook it up to other carburetors, but I hear it is pretty tough to get it just right.

I'm not sure what they go for. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a complete one and it should turn over and look fairly clean for that price.

3. big daddy Raleigh

big daddy Raleigh
    from Denver CO

Revhead,
    Thanks for the insight! The one I'm looking at is a '62. I'm hoping that the seller will make a move on his end sooner than later! I didn't know about the linkage issues, and that sounds very critical! From the sounds of it, maybe the th350 would be easier. Thanks once again I do appreciate your time and knowledge!

4. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497477

FWIW I paid $400 for my last 365/390. you should get a good core anywhere from 200-700 depending on how motivated the seller and how complete the engine is. for my money the tranny's a boat anchor. they're fine as long as they're good. if you have to rebuild just make the swap.

5. bob robertson

bob robertson

u should fine a rebuildable 390 fairly cheep under 400$ the addaptor to 350 400 700r are out there to but 3 to 500$ saves alot a weight for the org why not go with a flathead cadillac very cool