Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Gear Drive Speed & Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Nov 6, 2012.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes, it's easy to point out the flaws of a vendor, but this is a heads up about a GREAT vendor. I just got my lake headers from Matt at Gear Drive Speed & Custom and the craftsmanship is OUTSTANDING! They are going on my T Bucket and after a test fit... WOW!

The welds are great! The length is PERFECT for a T Bucket! The fit at the cowl area is dead on! The flanges are 3/8" instead of 1/4" like the ones I have now. The turn outs arrive next week, so I'm going to run them without for a while. I have a set of baffles that will be inserted, so the neighbors don't get scared.:D I'm preping them now and will paint them tomorrow.

Here's a look:

[​IMG]

I wish there was a way I could run them as is. Has anyone ever coated headers in VHT clear?:D

Thanks Matt! Great job!

2. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Always been very happy with his work and his professionalism

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

You can tell that Matt cares about creating a quality product. That and he "gets it". And he's a good dude too!

4. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Matt is one of the best for his products and customer service !

5. BigIrish

BigIrish

I ordered a U-weld zoomie kit from him a month or so ago. The first shipment never arrived and he could not find the tracking number for it. I thought for sure I was in for a big headache, but he just sent me out another (maybe the first?) kit right away.

The kit is nice with thick header flanges and nice smooth "U"s. I made some pretty cool zoomies out of it (I think).

Overall a good guy and I would buy from him again.

Attached Files:

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, I installed mine and as suspected, I screwed up the paint job. I had bought 2 types of paint. Bar-B-Que black paint and VHT 2,000* header paint. I first tryed the BBQ paint and it went on like water! It was thin as hell. But I painted the headers with it anyway. Unsatisfied, I then sprayed over that with the VHT. The VHT says to use one coat. So, it came out good, but I could still see streaks of BBQ paint underneath it. I ran the headers as per instructions to cure the paint. The paint didn't blister, but the streaks underneath looked like ass.

So, here's where I screwed up. Instead of stripping the headers down and using only VHT, I just applied another coat of VHT.:eek: On the second cure, the headers blistered and some of the paint cracked and flaked off. It doesn't look THAT bad, but it's not up to my standards. So, later this week, I'll strip them done and repaint with the VHT.

I can actually live with the flaked paint. if I have to.:( It kinda gives a "tough" look to my little T Bucket. At the Burnout yesterday, I talked to a few guys who had used header paint and they all had given in to the paint flaking and particial peeling. A few guys had used header tape and it actually looked okay. I may try that as well.

As for the pipes themselves, my car sounds FANTASTIC. A real nice GROWL. Not too loud, but business like. With the baffles I'm using, they are no louder than my old headers. Even with the flaking, they still look bad ass. So, I'll keep them and go with the flow.

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Tfever, the stuff to use is the hi temp exhaust manifold paint from Bill Hirsch. Strip the headers to bare steel first. Then you'll be good to go.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Is that a brand name?:confused:

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Yes, google bill hirsch Cadillac and it should be easy to find the site. He carries real nice resto stuff but the exhaust coating is top notch.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

Had a great expierience with Gear Drive, called Matt and explained what I was working on and he knew the specs off the top of his head. Made an easy transaction and got a quality product. Definately a top notch operation.

11. skookum

skookum

My dealings with Gear drive speed & custom were not all that happy. I bought an intake and headers w/ turnouts for a Desoto 276 at the '09 pile-up and had them shipped back to Washington state. They showed up after a few weeks, the intake and exhaust were the same ones that were at the show... the turnouts were something outta the scrap bin, the ends were cut with a hacksaw badly and the turnouts were outta time and different lengths. I called Matt and was told to return them and he would send out a different set. so I boxed up nicely and sent back. and that is the last I heard from Matt... no phone calls returned, nothing, letter not responded to. I thought He went outta business...until I saw his display table set up at the last pile up in Decateur.
    It was all I could do to keep from flipping his table...thanx to the wife I stayed outta jail.

12. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Gear Drive is 100 Percent Chuckles approved. Matt is good people.

Skookum..... Show us proof or it didn't happen. I HIGHLY DOUBT Matt is even capable of doing that. The craftsmanship I have seen on his work is always A+. I've been dealing with him for a few years now.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm with Chuckles on this one, something is fishy or we aren't getting both sides of the story. I don't think Matt has it in him to screw anyone. He spent a long time talking with us and giving us tips on how to use his components, and everything we bought from him was first rate.

I realize every manufacturer and vendor occasionally has one slip through the cracks, it just happens, but for Matt to not respond is way out of character for him.

Don

14. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Internet tough guy.

15. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Not 100% sure what to say about this but I need to defend my shop and my reputation. I don't post much and especially about my shop as I let other customers do the talking.

Believe it or not I know exactly who you are and I remember the deal we did at the pile up. If I received the parts back I would have shipped out new parts, I'm not sure about a letter to me, the best way to contact me is via phone (651-485-8075) I find it odd after you sent the parts back you never called to see if I received them or a follow up call to see about progress. I'm terrible at email and even PM's here on the HAMB as I have 3 unread messages blinking at me now.

As for the pile up in Decatur, why didn't you come to the booth and talk to me, tell me your story, I have turnouts with me you would of left with a set! I would have believed you with the back story. I bend over backwards to help my customers out. I'm competing with Speedway and Sanderson for sales and I'm the small guy in a BIG pool.

To all my customers. I'm a small shop, you will always deal with me I do 85% of the work in the shop and the other 15% is a hired welder and all he does is weld!! I have problems and stuff slips through the cracks. I'll always do my best to make it right by the customer. I've been on the HAMB for 10+ years and one of the first 500 member club... Unfortunately this is the first negative thread about my shop... Kinda bummed me out when 3 customers called me at the shop today to give me a heads up!

If you have questions or concerns CALL me 651-485-8075

16. kaui

kaui
    from SJC calif

He has made headers for my last 5 builds. I just got another set for my flathead going in to my modified. Good guy.

17. ilikeflatblack

ilikeflatblack
    from HASLET, TX

Matt is the coolest yankee i know. He builds cool parts and help's with any questions you could have. He is a bad mother fer. I have his intake and headers and love'em.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So, you sent something back and didn't hear from him and you didn't call to see what was up?:confused: Then you saw him at a show and didn't ask what the deal was?:confused: I find that hard to believe. Matt and I played phone tag trying to get in touch with each other for my order. I'll never get how folks can take time to write a damn email, but can't bother to pick up a damn phone.

19. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

As for the pipes themselves, my car sounds FANTASTIC. A real nice GROWL. Not too loud, but business like.

Fred,that's what my dog sounds like when someone comes up on the porch!

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Must be a badass dawg.:D My old headers sounded like a mid-eighties Vette. The worst decade for Vettes. Now it sounds like a damn hot rod. My neighbor says they are quieter than my old headers. Until I burp it.:D

21. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Matt is the best. Hands down fantastic stuff and great service

Jerry

22. perk30

perk30

I've been running a set of Matt's headers in plain bare steel for about a year now and they still look as good as the day I put them on. all I do to keep them clean and rust free is to rub them down with a scotch brite pad every so often [​IMG]and they keep a nice blue/ gray color that looks good.

23. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I have a set of Matt's headers, and they are a work of art. No complaints here. HPC type coating will last the longest, but everything eventually burns off.

24. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Had a great experience with Matt, would defiantly buy another set.

25. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

Tfeverfred:
    Were the tubes welded to the flanges like you thought they should be?

26. just installed a set of the new 35 drive-shaft headers man they are nice. Matt has to be one of the best guys I have ever got parts from. 100% satisfied.
    [​IMG]

27. Matt did a set of 35/36 drive shaft headers for me several years ago. Very nice.

28. johnny_rocket88

johnny_rocket88

I got the 35 ford drive shaft headers in mine, with the baffles and turn outs all gear drive, we just ordered the down pipes for under the car, will electric cut offs work?