Register now to get rid of these ads!

My battery finally died

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by prewarcars4me, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Please dont turn this into a "this company sucks butt" thread, just looking for a recomendation. After 15 years in this blistering AZ sun, my red top optima finally gave up the ghost. I'd say I got my money out of that sucker, and some. Whats a good, maintainince free battery that will last more than a couple years (no, I don't expect 15 again,lol).

2. Why not just buy another optima? Sounds like you got your $$ worth out of the last one.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. From what I've read, the "new" Optima isnt the same as the "old" Optima. Otherwise I would in a New York second :D

4. i would say you owe them the business, you got 2 battery lifetimes out of one.

5. The new Optima's are no where as good as your old one was. Go to a Glass Matt battery and you just might get another 15 years again. Odyssey sells a grate one.
    The Wizzard

6. Thank you. I do't expect 15 out of any battery (of course, it would be nice), but I also dont want it to die after a few hot AZ summers either.

7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

dunno about AZ, but here in Las Vegas, a battery in your DD is good for about 3 years, and even most replacements don't last much longer, no matter how much you spend.

8. I generally toss my batteries after 4-5 years regardless of how they're acting. Either I trade it in or keep the old one around.. or give it away. I always go with the best deal I can get at the time on a name-brand.

Bob

9. The new batteries are made in mexico, the old batteries 15 years ago were still made in the good ol USA. had a red top optima last from 1995 till 2009 in a dirt track car with no alternator and we recharged it every night before we raced again. New optimas have been good about 5 years before they die now. We have run multiple red tops in different cars at the same usage rate.

10. I figure I dont have issues jump starting it ONE TIME. Past that, I wont fight them. I bought that last battery when I was 30 and I'm 45, just kept swapping it from jet boat to car, to hot rod,,,, as I sold them. I figure it paid its dues a few times over.

11. You definatelly got your use out of that one! I'de go buy some lottery tickets:).I've had luck with some interstate stuff= sealed like an optima.
    Oddysey's are expensive,and they weigh a ton=like 70lbs.....use them at work for PD,and although warranted for ten years,we get about two out of them.They get swapped,but ......You might get lucky again.....It's a crap shoot anymore.

12. I guess I just have luck with batteries. My wifes 64 Merc has had a $40 cheapo Walmart battery in it about 4 years now, still going strong turning over that 390. :)

13. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Get a Deka. East Penn Manufacturing made in the USA and the best you can buy.

14. Never heard of them. Who sells them?

15. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

10 years on my red top, never let me down. I do keep it on a battery tender though.

16. My friend was talking about a new style battery that has fiberglass in it around the gel so the fiberglass absorbs the gel and does not die as fast. Similar to an optima but can last longer. I think he was saying they are used in european and german cars. He is getting 2 and mounting them sideways under hos driver seat in his frame.

I switched to a red top optima after swapping out autozone duralast 2 times in a year. It took almost a month for them to get a 6 volt in stock though.

17. 5window

5window

I routinely get several more years on just plain old Walmart batteries. And, on the rare occasion I didn't, they replaced it without hassle. Cars,truck, tractor, generator, lawn mower. Unlike most Walmart things, the batteries seem to worth their cost

18. Agm check them out

19. I use them on cars I build/sell, but hate giving them my money, I just feel slimmy afterwards :(

20. metalix_421

metalix_421

just bought a new red top day before yesterday for my OT. bought my last one in 2004 when I bought the truck. I will stick with optima.

21. EdselRich

EdselRich

Napa brand usually did me good in my Peterbilt. I pulled the deka's I had after 2 months because of hard starts

Chrome 'n' Flake

22. I have a Die Hard in our Mustang that I got from my Dad seven years, but I think it was a few years old when he past away.

23. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

got 5 and a half years on my red top that i had when living in phoenix. have another red top that is 10 years old now.

24. scrubba

scrubba

Been an Interstate dealer for years , I use them , never had a problem . Even the late Paul Harvey thought they were good ........... scrubba

25. 5window

5window

No argument there. Unfortunately, the non-vehicle batteries I have usually fail when I need them but it's an odd hour of the day. Guess who's the only folks open?

26. Metal Mangler

Metal Mangler
    from Washington

I heard that there where alot of changes that happened at Optima, most of the guys that where doing the R and D left and started Odyssey, Dont take my word for it thats just what i heard. I also heard that Odyssey batteries are pretty good.

Matt

27. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

An Optima is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery. There is a huge thread on here including some Optima rep comments.
    Interstate has a new AGM battery called MT7. I have not tried it yet.