Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Smirnoff

Smirnoff

Looks like the house across the street from the old Motor City Dragway in New Baltimore, Michigan.....?

2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That car had an injected SBC and a four speed.:D That was my brothers car. He lived in Tacoma Wash. Lippy

3. .....or the house that was near the end of the track at Indy.

4. storm king

storm king

Welcome, tarbabe. I like the Fiat's and V-Dubs, too!
    (Even though I grew up on max wedges & hemi Super Stockers)

5. BSL409

BSL409

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->[​IMG]

6. BSL409

BSL409

<TABLE class=tborder id=post8345278 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid" width=175></TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_8345278 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

No.

I posted the shot as a response to WCD's comment about the photo of the Hawaiian. He posted the comment above which stated that the Ivo car was runner-up to the Hawaiian at the '65 Nationals at Indy. So I posted my shot of the Hawaiian. At Indy where it won that year.

8. Bingo ;)

9. several things of interest in this photo
    First, the chick - very nice.
    Second, the weights on the front axle.
    Third, the backwards injector scoops - what was the idea there?

10. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

who's car is this?

11. rooman

rooman

GSTA--Gopher State Timing Association. Besides the obvious clue (the backward scoops) the other giveaway is the Division 5 number on the car and tow car.

Roo

12. jw_deuce

jw_deuce
    from Central OH

I can finally contribute to one of my favorite threads on here, here are a couple old shots of a car im restoring, I will be starting a thread on here eventually, as well as more pics of the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Justin

13. There has been some discussion on the backwards air scoops, and I've not heard a logical reason yet. :confused:

14. Keeps the big chunks out.....

15. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

That is very kool! I'm in Marysville, please keep us posted when you start the new thread.

Marty
    Marysville, OH

16. WCD

WCD

Roger Lindamood, and former comp elim great George Reis (BB/GD) ran the scoop backwards too. Its was the result of theory about air turbulence upsetting air/fuel stream. A cleaner stream was thought to derive by running the scoops/injector hats backwards. They quickly turned them back the other way:D.

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

Still amazes me, these firebreathers hammer down, and narry a guardrail in sight!:eek:

That'll be a cool restoration!

18. WCD

WCD

There is a chain link fence; Thats enough.

19. bentwings

bentwings

BSL409 's photo of the GSTA twin is very good. One of the few good shots of the front end showing the wing. The wing is still missing from the restoration and no one seems to know what became of it. The car was not the longest of twins hense the wing. Note the wing mounting on the outer flanges of the torsion bar.

Ray Rutteman, the crew chief and tuner of the car, had a thing about doing things differently. He and I had a number of discussions about the scoops. In reality I think is was to divert attention from the important things on the car. haha

He ran a single fuel pump for both motors, adjusted the phasing of the motors, 4 disc clutch, Dana 60 rear end with the axel tubes removed and flange bearings mounted on the chassis. The tube axel had the ring gear flange mounted to it for a spool. Very light weight Credit for this and the chassis creation goes to George Wepplo.

I don't remember whether the weights were lead filled containers or solid steel bars split in half of course. George could have made either or both. Ray may have run one of each.

The girl is probably 65 or so by now. No clue to ID.

20. jkperformance

jkperformance

My thoughts on a twin engine car would be keeping the air/fuel ratios the same on each engine ...

21. WCD

WCD

"Ray Rutteman, the crew chief and tuner of the car, had a thing about doing things differently. He and I had a number of discussions about the scoops. In reality I think is was to divert attention from the important things on the car. haha"

I can see the tactic of diversion. But I know Lindamood ran his Enderle backwards for a while. 68 or so. And I prefer the girl to remain "19" or so. Smile

22. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Dean, have you ever heared the term "Just because". You are old school and so many of the ideas that popped up in our minds didn't always make since on the track, did they.:D

23. bentwings

bentwings

"Just because" was also good enough reason for Ray back then. You would just have to have known him.

Don't forget that technology had not realy caught up to us yet. The Gopher guys may not have had the fastest twin but they were very formatable. They rarely broke serious parts and did not miss rounds and ran very hard and consistantly. I know we never beat them as a twin and only a couple times as a single in the times before the twin.

I don't know whether the scoop thing did anything bad or good. We tried it on our TG car ( just because....Ray had them that way) and turned it back because we didn't like the looks of it backwards. Performance wise it did nothing for us.

24. True that Mark! :eek:

25. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Shame the girls head is cut off in the photo, but isn't that a blower case over there in the trash barrel?
    I can't recall how many usable copper head gaskets and spark plug leads I salvaged dumpster diving behind unlimited budget big name racing stars.
    We raced for years on their pull off tires, but that blower case would have been a score. Tom S. in Tn.

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Very interesting front end. Torsion bar with those little links instead of radius rods. Neat car. Lippy

27. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

You are right about it being at Indy. But this house faced west on the street that ran along the west side of the racing property, way over to the northwest corner of the pit area. There was no pit area anywhere near the end of the track. Spectator parking on both sides of the end of the track as I remember.

28. jw_deuce

jw_deuce
    from Central OH

Yes, Thank you! It is an old RCS chassis, Ive herd it referred to by a few as an RCS quad link chassis. here is a good shot of the front end:

[​IMG]

-Justin

29. WCD

WCD

Nice close up. You can see the drivers eyes focusing on the tree. At Irwindale, you could get that close and see the driver examining the oil preassure gauge and other pre-flight protocols before lift off.

30. Only way I recognized it was because I b.s.'d my way in a side entrance down there in 64. It wasn't supposed to be a spectator entrance but I gave the guy at the gate an extra $5 bill to let me park there so I could walk the pit area on that side. Did that every day for the weekend. Went to the Nationals every year from 1964 to 1981. Never gonna go back ~ it just isn't the same.....