Register now to get rid of these ads!

East coasters + Sandy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOPESphotographics, Oct 29, 2012.

1. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

No power here yet since last monday. middlesex county. Thank the lord for my generator and gas fire place.

2. edweird

edweird

i saw on the cbs evening news where an elderly gentleman that owns a gas station in jersey had no power, but was pumping gas out of the ground tanks for people with a 1940's era hand pump. i thought that was cool,

3. I dunno... people are real desperate out there. Last night was a cool one, down to 24 at my house, but I have heat.. gas heat. I saw a crew on the road, they were from Ontario Canada, thanks to out brothers from the north!

My son works for Serv Pro, one of those disaster clean up companies.. he's headed to Breezy Point Brooklyn this morning. I told him to be careful and dress wearm, bring extra socks.

Bob

4. Wow, I'm hearing all sorts of sad tales about destroyed cars. Talkin' with my chiropractor the other day, one of his neighbors lost a vintage '58 Vette in his garage, soaked with salt water. The guy was advised to move it too. Most people in the area moved their cars towards higher ground.

Bob

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Happy to say we made it through the storm without incident but sad to say that our beloved shoreline will never be the same.

My thoughts are with and prayers go out to everyone who didn't fare as well as we did.
    GOD bless.

6. No power yet working with my iPad at hotspots. This disaster has brought out the worst in humanity that I have ever witness in my 67 yrs on this rock. God help us!

7. The idiots on the gas lines are by far the worst, just be patient! I was on a line Monday for 45 minutes, all was cool until some old geezer jumps the line 2 cars ahead of me. The attendants gave him the boot. I'm glad they went to the even-odd thing, which should cut the lines in 1/2... in theory.

People are helping each other. We have a pantry drive at the local firehouse and clothing collections are being conducted.

I was talking to a real estate agent that I know. Any house north of the flood zone.. the value has gone up $50K instantly. There is going to be a housing shortage, something like 1500 houses lost in Babylon Village alone. About 1/3 of the affected aren't expected to rebuild.

There is also a major issue with spilled fuel oil from home heating tanks that floated away when the surge came through. One guy had a wayward tank dump 200+ gallons on his front lawn. The Coast Guard fished one out of Moriches inlet and there are a number floating in various bays.

This is a disaster that just keeps on unfolding day by day. I'm one of the lucky with minimal damage to my property and we're high and dry.

Bob

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just got my cable back after it went out on October 29th. Our thoughts and prayers are with the folks in New Jersey and New York that took the main hit from this storm, hope everyone is on the way to recovery. Town lost a lot of trees, we're fine, just miss the two weeks of contact with the rest of the world. Bob

9. noboD

noboD

So you really did survive? You disappeared off the planet and we weren't sure what happened.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I still havent seen any photos or TV coverage of what things look like that took the real hit, just listened to radio reports. Can't complain when some people lost everything. There were enough generators running in the neighborhood to make me think I was back in the Hershey swap meet at night. Bob

11. I work with people who are still waiting for power to come back on. Several have severe damage to their homes, we took up a collection for 2 of them that are very bad off. I'm still cleaning up by me and will make an insurance claim for my fence, but all in all some of us got off easy.

Bob

12. noboD

noboD

At least you and the family are OK. I'll send you some pics that were sent to me. Looks like Atlantic City is trashed.

13. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Just got Verizon and power back last night after 11 days.Now I know what a crack addict feels like when he can't get any crack.I went to the library to use their computer but they were down also, and when they got power 5 days ago the parking lot was full and I wasn't going to wait all day the south shore is devastated. Houses blown off their foundation, boats all over trees down cars washed away.

14. Power came back yesterday at 1pm. Just nobody sneeze to cause a tree limb to fall.......LOL
    God bless all the HAMBers in the wake of these two storms.

15. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Joey,i just got power last nite had three feet of water in my basement,swamped the boiler. three feet at my shed,swamped my 52 hydro scagg mower.6 inches through my garage as well,just missed taking my bikes and my 32. The 31 was high enough for another foot or two. I love living near the water but man,5 feet over a october moon tide devistated my neighborhood.
    I was one of four neighbor who did not evacuate and if i would have i would have lost everything.As fast as it came it left i flushed EVERYTHING in fresh water then a bath in simple green then a dowse of wd-40 and i saved everything.
    My neighbors were not so lucky.water up to their door knobs.if you drive in my neighborhood it looks like a war zone. after a few days,looters spotted.
    We all stuck together as this made me feel like mankind has a chance.
    i let neighbors use my wood pile to heat there homes and keep their families warm.even the local gin mill was washed to sea.I was extreamly lucky and i know it,but man there are alot of people who need help from this one,i hope god hears the prayers.

16. refried confusion

refried confusion

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  17. From what I see in West Islip and Babylon, the newspapers are just scratching the surface of the whole thing. Anyone within 15 houses (give or take) off the bay or canal has major damage to their houses. Everything from the ground floor is out in their front yard. Never fear, FEMA trailers are on the way.

Some people with not-so-soaked cars are using them... eek.

Bob

18. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I've been meaning to call
    I've been meaning to call you, I talked to Al and he told me you were still alive but got hammered. I got minimal damage compared to most but got some.Debbie and I rode all through West Babylon, Lindenhurst, Copaigue, Babylon,it's amazing what difference a half mile will make.There are houses blown off their foundation, boats all over, last night we went down by Tanner Park they were just plowing the streets into mountains of rubble.My brother in law had about 4 foot of water in his garage, basement was filled luckily he built the house high enough that it didn't hit the first floor.Glad you were able to save everything I'll give you a call over the weekend.

19. Just got power/heat/water/Internet back last night. It's been crazy around here. The damage isn't as bad as by the shore, but it's still pretty bad. We couldn't get off the street for a couple days, finally started cutting the trees out with the neighbors. Finally made a way out. Thankfully the power guys from Kentucky finally got the power back on. I'll be hearing generators in my sleep for weeks.

20. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you actually read the story that Maniac posted, it actually pretty much is true.

"Upon arriving at a staging area in Virginia, crews were held in place pending clarification of documents received from IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) that implied a requirement of our employees to agree to union affiliation while working in the New York and New Jersey areas. It was and remains our understanding that agreeing to those requirements was a condition of being allowed to work in those areas.

"As we waited for clarification, we became aware that Seaside Heights had received the assistance they needed from other sources, To be clear, at no time were our crews "turned away" from the utility in Seaside Heights.

"In connection with state and regional public power associations, Decatur Utilities attempted to contact other areas that needed assistance. However, based on the uncertainty of union requirements that we could not agree to and the uncertainty of whether a resolution could be reached, we ultimately made the decision to return them to Decatur after being stalled in the Virginia area most of the day on Thursday.
    "

Saying that they weren't "turned away" is a technicality. Seems pretty clear to me that they ended up goimg home because of union rules.

21. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Massapequa south of Merrick is a disaster area. Boats that where docked are 3 blocks in from the water laying on the street. What a mess. Been helping a friend since Thursday night when I got here.

I had all up and running, then LIPA and National Grid (gas co) comes in and almost blew up the house. They turned of sewer pump switches, they went to re lite the water heater, I had already working, after they replaced the regulator outside. Kept complaining that they could not get it to work and were gonna cut the house off from gas.The moron had left the water heater on pilot.
    I know they are overwhelmed but seriously. While there they apparently turned off the sewage pump switch, since no one else was ever went near it. I just found that in time as the sewage began to back up

22. maniac

maniac

More about the union workers, in this one it says the report is inaccurate...

http://money.msn.com/politics/post.aspx?post=f10196ea-b637-4c70-9e4e-daf819b06d38

In this one the union officials deny anyone was turned away, it also says that the workers for Joe Wheeler utilities ARE unionized..........

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/union_official_denies_non-unio.html

Who the hell knows what's really goin on, here in Ct the guys were from Quebec, barely spoke English, but got the job done, there were also crews from Texas here

23. Believe none of what you hear and 1/2 of what you see...

I saw crews from Ontario, Oklahoma, Ohio... etc. I believe FEMA is picking up some of the tab, maybe all of it? These guys have months of work ahead of them and we all should be very nice to them.

Bob

24. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

There are crews here from all over the country. Who's the asshole that keeps whining about unions? If your so worried about what's going on here get in your car and come help someone instead of spewing I hate unions bullshit!

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

We got power back on thanks to a crew from Battle Creek, Michigan.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

We know here in the Gulf Coast, but it's something you guys rarely see. I just hope you guys can get FEMA to back you up. They used to be kinda slow. Hopefully, things have changed.